Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Ideas on Detroit, Michigan healthcare plans, universal healthcare, moving away from automotive industry, middle class supporting lower class, diversifying the economy

Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times

Advertisements

This is not meant to be a rehash of what's wrong with the state or the fair city of Detroit. What do you think would be a useful step towards getting the state back up on its pins again?

One thing that strikes me right away as helpful: national healthcare, universal healthcare. So many people have to sacrifice being in the right job for them because that job doesn't offer a health plan. So many businesses go splat because they can't afford even a cheesy health plan for the employees. One reason Honda is whipping Ford's tail is that Honda isn't trying to support thousands of elderly retirees with breathtakingly expensive healthcare needs.

What are your ideas? Large or small, let's list 'em all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 PM

34 posts, read 108,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
One thing that strikes me right away as helpful: national healthcare, universal healthcare.
That's just a redistribution of wealth, not fix. Much of what decimated our cities, including Detroit, is an entitlement mentality. What does the government run effectively and efficiently? Nothing leaps to my mind, so what makes you think we could efficiently run a national health care program?

MI has to lower taxes and the barriers to entry for businesses to WANT to be in MI because they can make more profit in MI than anywhere else. And I just don't understand why the political team in Lansing got reelected. And the politicians that MI sends to Washington all love to tax, tax, tax. Increase the taxes by reducing the deductibilty on bigger square footage homes? Huh? Like MI doesn't have enough construction woes. What kind of nutty idea is that? Who keeps voting these old timers back into office each election cycle. What have they done for MI lately except preside over its downward spiral. Wake up. People all over this board gripe about MI, so do something when you vote next time. If you think higher taxes to soak your rich neighbors will help MI, you will see the downward spiral just get worse.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,464 times
Wall-off southern Michigan,tear down the Mac bridge,collapse the tunnel to Canada...and finish turning it into a Prison State.
Cops in my Home-town there are getting busted for selling pills and weed,people are having to buy guns off the street just to protect themselves from people who will kick in your front door,beat the s**t out of you and your family,and steal everything they can carry,and the Jennifer Granholm cant spend enough of the tax payers money fast enough putting bills into law that just plain dont make sense. Un-employment has ruined a beautiful State,and it's mostly due to N.A.F.T.A and the Unions.

One word to describe Michigan ? " BAD ".

Respectfully,
Mr. Thomas Cross
Kingsport,TN.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 AM

316 posts, read 1,182,156 times
Bring in new businesses, at the same time cut out more of the automotive industry. People are going to have to lose jobs, while at the same time we bring in new industries, and probably new people alltogether.
Really, it is very hard to fix what has been done to the state. We even sold off our tobacco settlement money, but I know this isn't a rehash.
I don't agree with universal health care, it will just drive more middle and upper income folks out of the state that do not want to support the lower class. So what do we do? Bring in new industries, while somehow lowering the barriers to entry for businesses, not throwing the burdeon to those that are left here. ( ha, ya right)

Old 08-21-2007, 07:13 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Bring in new businesses, at the same time cut out more of the automotive industry. People are going to have to lose jobs, while at the same time we bring in new industries, and probably new people alltogether.
Really, it is very hard to fix what has been done to the state. We even sold off our tobacco settlement money, but I know this isn't a rehash.
I don't agree with universal health care, it will just drive more middle and upper income folks out of the state that do not want to support the lower class. So what do we do? Bring in new industries, while somehow lowering the barriers to entry for businesses, not throwing the burdeon to those that are left here. ( ha, ya right)
Good, you get an A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: