Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 8,759 times

Advertisements

As stated in the title, I am thinking about going to NMU for college (transferring as a Soph.). I am from California (Bay Area) and I know there is going to be a HUGE weather difference. I like the cold so I'm not too worried about that. Do you have any advice for me? Also, I don't know anyone in that area but I'm not planning on going to a college where I know anyone either so do you think it's easy to meet people there? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM

34 posts, read 56,909 times
aezliza - You need to do a search on the forum for Marquette. There's a lot of love for the area and I'm sure by reading the other posts it would give you a better idea of what the area is about. The people who live there are very passionate about the place (Marquette) they call their home. I am also from the bay area and have family in both. The upper peninsula is definitely different than the bay area, but not in a bad way, just different. If you are looking for a smaller community where outdoor activities are second to none, Marquette is a wonderful place.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Be ready for Tahoe-like levels of snow, but without the great skiing. Marquette gets 140" of snow due to lake effect per year. Truckee gets 205".

Early in the fall semester and late in the spring, be ready for lots of biting insects - black flies and mosquitoes. NOTHING in the bay or anywhere in central CA is like it.

Really, it's kinda like living in the Tahoe area, but with more bugs and less rich people. You're not going to find hundreds of multimillion dollar homes on the lake shore, and no big mountains, but you get most of the rest of the draw of Tahoe.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Thank you both so much for responding!

Ravennorth, I researched it and it just makes me want to go there even more I'll keep all that info in mind.

Scorpio516, thanks for the info about the insects! I didn't know that. I definitely don't mind that there aren't hundreds of multimillion dollar homes and thanks for the comparison with Tahoe, it helps at least give me an idea of how it is.

Again, thanks so much!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Just keep in mind that you will be completely isolated up in Marquette as well. The nearest major city is Milwaukee, and that's a four hour drive......longer in the wintertime. You won't have a fraction of the ammenities you might be used to in the Bay Area. Marquette is a great place to visit, and NMU a great school, but just be sure you're prepared to live in the boonies for the duration of your schooling, because once the novelty of it wears off, you may find the differences from home too much to bear.

Oh.....and if you don't like hockey already, LEARN! Goes a long way toward getting you though the winters!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
yup, we may be in the boonies but Mqt is like a dash of cultural urbanity in the woods. You may like it enough to stay as I know quite a few NMU grads that ended up staying here. That bug thing is way over blown, as there are virtually none in the city. Sure, you will find them in the woods but not so much right in town.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
That bug thing is way over blown, as there are virtually none in the city. Sure, you will find them in the woods but not so much right in town.
But compared to northern California, it is vastly different.
In the last 5 years, I've been bit by exactly 2 mosquitoes. We have a ton of dragonflies, but almost nothing else.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Northman, thanks so much for the advice! It definitely give me some things to ponder. Also, I love watching hockey!

Joemits and Scorpio516, thanks! I don't get bit often either so now I have a good idea of what it's like there.

Also, I'm not planning on having a car there, is that a bad idea?

Last edited by aezliza; 10-15-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM

413 posts, read 938,172 times
Fixed Route Schedules

The public transportation in Marquette will be a far cry from what you're used to.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Fixed Route Schedules

The public transportation in Marquette will be a far cry from what you're used to.
Thanks for the link! I rarely use public transportation here so that was really helpful for giving me an idea on how it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan