U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 PM

167 posts, read 400,820 times

Advertisements

Though this is probably not the right forum for this question, I was curious as to what people understood about nofault in Michigan and how they felt about it's potential reform.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 AM

167 posts, read 434,787 times
Do away with the $173 annual surcharge.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 6,414,001 times
After living in the "at fault" state of Ohio ---- I personally would kick no fault to the curb!

On MI's policy, if you have an accident that you're not at fault for, the claim still goes on your insurance record. In OH, it never touches your insurance unless the other party doesn't have coverage. In MI, you won't see an increase in rates, but your "profile" with insurance will show you as a higher risk because they've had to pay out on your behalf despite you not being at fault.

We had a small fender bender in Ohio, my husband was rear ended by a young driver. The other driver's coverage paid for our repairs, paid lost wages to my husband for time off work, paid for medical as my husband went to the doctor for neck pain, plus we got a settlement check for our trouble.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
YAZ

7,196 posts, read 12,464,753 times
Michigan's No Fault is a lot better than here in AZ.

You're only required to have 10k here to cover others' expenses even if it's your fault. (of course, there's also lawsuits.....hooray).

That leaves the rest of us to pay for "extra" coverage.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM
YAZ

7,196 posts, read 12,464,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
After living in the "at fault" state of Ohio ---- I personally would kick no fault to the curb!

On MI's policy, if you have an accident that you're not at fault for, the claim still goes on your insurance record. In OH, it never touches your insurance unless the other party doesn't have coverage. In MI, you won't see an increase in rates, but your "profile" with insurance will show you as a higher risk because they've had to pay out on your behalf despite you not being at fault.
It's not the claim that goes on your insurance record; it's the accident itself.

So, for example, with State Farm I think you're allowed 2 accidents within 5 years without being dinged. If the police determine that the other driver was at fault.....no ding at all.

I was hit twice by drunk drivers within 5 years of each other and my rates actually dropped.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,856,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
Do away with the $173 annual surcharge.
Remember it was the insurance companies that pushed for the no-fault law to begin with. You might save 173 as long as you never get in a accident, you never get injured and you never have to sue a insurance company or another driver. You might think your saving but, in the long run, only they will be saving.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 PM

485 posts, read 873,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Remember it was the insurance companies that pushed for the no-fault law to begin with. You might save 173 as long as you never get in a accident, you never get injured and you never have to sue a insurance company or another driver. You might think your saving but, in the long run, only they will be saving.
The surcharge this year (well, 2011-2012) is $145 per vehicle. It's for lifetime medical costs on claims over $500,000.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

28,681 posts, read 68,091,311 times
WHen I left Michigan for California in 1988, my insurance costs went up 1000%. I was told that was because Michigan was no fault and California was at fault (i.e. you sue each other over every accident). When I cam back to Michigan in 2005, our insurance went about about 50%. I was told that was because MI is not fault and CA is At fault. Makes sense to me.

Part of the increase is the absurd mandatory long term medical coverage that the insurance companies snuck in on the Michigan voters some time ago. It is a big cost with very little risk to the insurance companies. However if it is only $150 then it is not as big an impact as I thhoguth

Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM

2,951 posts, read 6,414,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
It's not the claim that goes on your insurance record; it's the accident itself.

So, for example, with State Farm I think you're allowed 2 accidents within 5 years without being dinged. If the police determine that the other driver was at fault.....no ding at all.

I was hit twice by drunk drivers within 5 years of each other and my rates actually dropped.

I understand that rates can go down despite accidents if you're not at fault. What I'm referring to is the insurance "profile." Even if you're not at fault, every claim that you file with your own insurance is kept on record. This is then used to assess if you're "higher risk" for coverage for a set number of years.

When we moved from MI to OH and I start shopping for rates, our profile was 'high risk' due to our claim history. We had no accidents and no tickets. We did have claims for situations beyond our control. These were vandalism claims against 3 vehicles, plus towing reimbursement for 2 of the claims; this was in approximately a 18 month time frame. We spoke with 2 different companies with 2 different agencies in Ohio ---- this claim history put us in the "high risk" category for coverage. One of the agents took the time to explain what insurance companies use to determine this assessment of coverage.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM

6,374 posts, read 7,678,595 times
Connecticut did away with "no fault" several years ago and auto insurance rates went down in that state. The state government there saw there was no benefit with no fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan