Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM

850 posts, read 1,889,072 times

Advertisements

maybe the media could stop picking idiots to interview? how easy we forget their bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Absolutely agree.

I was intrigued by Ron Paul, then looked up what his is all about per his website... While he is honest, he isn't completely forthcoming with his message. There are a lot of gray areas that need a little more explanation for the better of the country. On a personal note, there are some ideals that I don't agree with.

"Coffee Party" - haven't heard anything about them.

My biggest beef with the Occupy groups is the lack of distinct message. The individuals interviewed near me were not well educated on WHY they were out there --- they were just out there because they wanted to be on tv. If there was a clearer message, the groups might be taken a little more seriously. I understand the gist behind the movement ... but, the biased media is making the parcipants out to be uneducated, tree hugging do gooders with no focus.
Ron Paul is a true Libertarian , not sure why he is in the Republican party.. For this , or any other, country to run and actually work , we need more than what Ron Paul says. Yes , there are many holes in a system like that, its just refreshing to hear from him cause he does know what he is talking about, believe it or not, the others , I have to say none of them have a clue..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,996,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Ron Paul is a true Libertarian , not sure why he is in the Republican party.. For this , or any other, country to run and actually work , we need more than what Ron Paul says. Yes , there are many holes in a system like that, its just refreshing to hear from him cause he does know what he is talking about, believe it or not, the others , I have to say none of them have a clue..
Again, agreed. The other front runners appear to be puppets cut from the same cloth we've been seeing year after year.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Absolutely agree.

I understand the gist behind the movement ... but, the biased media is making the parcipants out to be uneducated, tree hugging do gooders with no focus.

How is it biased? Stop at a few of the protests and talk to the people there. From what I can gather, they are a bunch of uneducated (at least uneducated in the realities of life), tree hugging do gooders with no focus. Most have some idea of something that they are against, but no idea of what they are for. Most have very different ideas of what they are protesting against. Some are not sure.

While you understand the movement, if you talk to the people hanigng out outside of banks and government buildings you will discover that many o them do not. Some think the movement is pro-Obama; others think it is anti-Obama; some think it is anti-bush (they are a bit lost in time); some think it is anti-government; one guy said "I want a credit card. That is why I am here." In one location some pf the people heard that there would be free food available. As far as I can tell, there is no "movement" Just a bunch of people who want to protest something and no consensus on what they want to protest.

I would not hurt their credibility for them to change clothing and take a shower once in a while either. I guess they think it is more effective if the smell bad. I am not sure what that is supposed to accomplish.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How is it biased? Stop at a few of the protests and talk to the people there. From what I can gather, they are a bunch of uneducated (at least uneducated in the realities of life), tree hugging do gooders with no focus. Most have some idea of something that they are against, but no idea of what they are for. Most have very different ideas of what they are protesting against. Some are not sure.

While you understand the movement, if you talk to the people hanigng out outside of banks and government buildings you will discover that many o them do not. Some think the movement is pro-Obama; others think it is anti-Obama; some think it is anti-bush (they are a bit lost in time); some think it is anti-government; one guy said "I want a credit card. That is why I am here." In one location some pf the people heard that there would be free food available. As far as I can tell, there is no "movement" Just a bunch of people who want to protest something and no consensus on what they want to protest.

I would not hurt their credibility for them to change clothing and take a shower once in a while either. I guess they think it is more effective if the smell bad. I am not sure what that is supposed to accomplish.
I take it you do not like protesters? Do you remember Vietnam ? , the civil rights protest, right to life and other agenda driven groups? If so , as I recall many did smell ,you would too if there was no place to shower.
I agree, there is a lot of confusion out there. It all boils down to the haves and the have nots. When 1 per cent gets richer, then the people start to throw rocks. This happened in the last great depression also. many a well healed person , who actually had money , was making a killing ,all the while his neighbors were loosing their farms to the Bank, and the guy with money was on the receiving end with the cash.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,996,106 times
Quote:
From what I can gather, they are a bunch of uneducated (at least uneducated in the realities of life), tree hugging do gooders with no focus. Most have some idea of something that they are against, but no idea of what they are for.
Not entirely correct.

I have seen many of the interviews - the ones I referred to were what the big media (especially Fox) were portraying. If you watch independent media sources (you know... the ones that do NOT have a dedicated cable channel) there are MANY protesters out there with a root cause, the education to back up what they are trying to protest, and the life experience to reliably discuss what they are doing.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I take it you do not like protesters? Do you remember Vietnam ? , the civil rights protest, right to life and other agenda driven groups? If so , as I recall many did smell ,you would too if there was no place to shower.
I agree, there is a lot of confusion out there. It all boils down to the haves and the have nots. When 1 per cent gets richer, then the people start to throw rocks. This happened in the last great depression also. many a well healed person , who actually had money , was making a killing ,all the while his neighbors were loosing their farms to the Bank, and the guy with money was on the receiving end with the cash.
Pretty wild assumption on your part. I like protesters just fine if they are trying to accomplish something. If they think and have a goal and a means to accomplish that goal. Protesters can be great.
I have even been one. However I did go home and bathe and change my clothing.

No I do not particularly like people who eschew basic hygiene just to make themselves unpleasant or because they are lazy. There is almost never no place to clean yourself off. I have always been able to stay clean even when traveling with no money and no place to stay, and usually when camping in the wilderness. You can buy a sunshower for about $15. For that matter you can buy some handiwipes and deodorant for less than that. If they do not own a change of clothing, they can go to a church or shelter and ask for some.

Some protests are simple. "Do not cut down this tree" That is simple. You only have to offer the alternative of letting the tree live. However few issues allow such a simple solution. These protesters do not offer a solution. They do not offer anything. They are protesting something and they do not even know what it is. Can they accomplish anything? Absolutely not. They do not even know to whom they are protesting.

Let's say that whomever they are protesting to says "ok - You win" What happens? Do they close the stock exchange and fire everyone on wall street? Will the protesters feed the millions of people who lose their jobs within the next month or less? Will they fund the military? Will they provide police protection, fire and ambulance services when our governments shut down due to lack of funding? Will the guy protesting because he wants a credit card, get a credit card?

They do nto like something, but it is unclear what. Is the issue that they do not like some people being more successful than others? What is their alternative?

Just what is it that these protesters want? They do not know. Who are they protesting against? They don't know. What was ok last year that is suddenly different or not OK this year? They don't know. Why are they hanging out out there? Most of them don't know. They just think it is cool to be a part of some sort of protest.

It might be a good idea to take some classes on basic economics to understand how the system works before trying to find a way to make it better. It is not as simple as people with money getting more money while poor people are losing the farm. Some people with money lost everything. Some made more money. Some people who caused the problem got rich. Some people who tried to stop the problem went broke. Almost always, the problem arises because a lot of people made stupid decisions. Pointing the finger at those well off and or those who did not make the stupid decision is always convenient, but rarely justified. Yes there are some bad apples amongst that much maligned 1%. However to generalize and cast aspersions at everyone who is successful when you know absolutely nothing about them is foolish.
Just protesting the system will not make it better. You need to be promoting a solution. "I do not like this system" is meaningless. "I want you to change to that system, is meaningful.

However the protesters who want a credit card, or who heard that they could get some free food, are not thinking about or concerned with whether our system fairly distributes wealth. They just want something to eat for free. These people have no idea who they want to throw rocks at or why they want to throw rocks. If they start throwing rocks, they just want to hurt someone.

If you want to protet something, figure out that it is that you want to protest and what you want instead of that something. Figure out who you need to protest to and what you need to do convince them to make the change that you are promoting. Waving your arms around and screaming "I am angry" with no thought just makes someone a nut job not an activist for social change.

(No. I do not remember Vietnam. Since I have never been there I have nothing to remember about it. I remember that it exists. I remember that we fought a war there. But I cannot remember a place that I have never been to. However, if you are referring to the Vietnam war, I do remember it vaguely. I remember that there were some protesters. I remember that no one took them seriously and pretty much wrote them off as kooks. I remember that some of them got violent at times, hurt innocent people, and got killed at times. I do not remember them accomplishing anything. The war did not end becasue of a bunch of protesters throwing rocks and breaking buildings.)

Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM

I disagree, naturally, I am a Liberal at heart, whats wrong with that? Yes , many out there do not know, or care, but a few ( growing larger every day), do. All I can say to the balance of your remarks...let them eat cake !
As I do recall much of the Vietnam war destroyed a lot of lives , on both sides , and , for what?We had the draft, and many of us went to Canada. I almost did,( I was maybe a little too old at the time) Wishful thinking , I would be better off today if I had, maybe,....we will never know ether way. It was a long time ago now, and , when the dust settled, the outcry of the People,and the Politicians was , " Never Again".... Guess we never learn, here we are again!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,618,565 times
It seems to me whenever people who are more towards the left of an issue are at a protest we hear a lot about how the group are "stinking people" and people who never take a bath. I never heard this about people at Tea Party protests. It's just an observation on my part.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
It seems to me whenever people who are more towards the left of an issue are at a protest we hear a lot about how the group are "stinking people" and people who never take a bath. I never heard this about people at Tea Party protests. It's just an observation on my part.
Maybe they bathe.

I have never seen a tea party protest. Do they protest? I thought that they just had meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan