Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Lansing in January, as I live out of state, I would like to know what areas are family friendly and have a good school district. My oldest is in 5th grade and my youngest will be starting school next year. Also, if anyone could please advice on how to find a home to rent, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to rent a house as opposed to an apartment for we have two dogs and three kids, and an apartment will not fit all of us... My dogs are 50 pounds, well behaved and house broken. Do rentals go through a property management company or reality company?

Last edited by jerjer78; 10-18-2011 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: incomplete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjer78 View Post
My family and I are moving to Lansing in January, as I live out of state, I would like to know what areas are family friendly and have a good school district. My oldest is in 5th grade and my youngest will be starting school next year. Also, if anyone could please advice on how to find a home to rent, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to rent a house as opposed to an apartment for we have two dogs and three kids, and an apartment will not fit all of us... My dogs are 50 pounds, well behaved and house broken. Do rentals go through a property management company or reality company?
If you are looking for a good school district I would not move into Lansing proper if I were you. Check out East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, Williamston, Grand Ledge, and Holt instead. I'm not sure what type of atmosphere you prefer or your income so it's a little harder to narrow it down without a little more info. Most home rentals go through property management companies. If you could provide some insight into what you are looking for in a town, like size preference, activities ya'll enjoy, maybe where you're coming from and what you like/dislike about it as a point of reference. These things will help those of us on here that live in the Lansing area to help you a little better.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM

I am looking for a quiet community that is family oriented. Currently we are in San Diego so I'm looking for a community that is a lot smaller than that, I guess you could say I'm looking for a sense of community. We enjoy outside activities and being able to visit new places, museums, historical land marks....family oriented things. San Diego is nice, it's just a busy city and people tend to live in the fast lane. Shopping convience would be nice as well as school location. My husband is being transfered so I'm looking to spend around $1400 a month in rent. Thank you for the response...area's to avoid are extremely useful.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am looking for a quiet community that is family oriented. Currently we are in San Diego so I'm looking for a community that is a lot smaller than that, I guess you could say I'm looking for a sense of community. We enjoy outside activities and being able to visit new places, museums, historical land marks....family oriented things. San Diego is nice, it's just a busy city and people tend to live in the fast lane. Shopping convience would be nice as well as school location. My husband is being transfered so I'm looking to spend around $1400 a month in rent. Thank you for the response...area's to avoid are extremely useful.
You have found THE PERFECT person to answer this question for you. I lived in San Diego myself for 4 years so I can absolutely help you! I believe anything near East Lansing is going to be the best place for you to start. It's not huge by any means but there are TONS of places to shop and TONS of outdoorsy things to do. MSU is located there so it is a little busier than other parts of Lansing, but a lot of it is foot traffic. It's near downtown Lansing so you have the accessibility to the Capitol building and museums and things like that. As far as renting a house is concerned, that may be difficult to do in EL as it is mostly college housing and apartments, but if you go a little outside of there, like Okemos or Haslett you will find more rentals available as well as a more family oriented setting. If you go futher east than that or south of that it becomes more rural. (I personally prefer more rural and chose to move south of Lansing)

I know that most people that live in SD are not FROM there so I'm not sure (culturally speaking) what you are accustomed to. ( I am originally from Texas) But let me clue you in on some of the finer points. You WILL NOT find a carne asada burrito anywhere near here. (If you could stock up on some and bring them with you I would pay generously! LOL) (Also, some fish tacos from Rubios if you could manage!)
Since you will be moving here in January, make sure you pack some warm clothes to wear when you arrive. Snow pants, mittens, hats, jackets and waterproof boots for the kids are highly advisable as there will be TONS of snow at that time. I know those things are impossible to buy in San Diego at ANYtime of the year so you may consider mail order!
If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 PM

222 posts, read 811,021 times
I would second all the places TXLizard suggested and add a few more towns outside of Lansing that have their own distinct personality: Mason and Dewitt. Depending on where your husband works, one town or another on that list will be closer. There is a pretty good highway system to get around, and there is really no reason you can't live less than a 30 minute drive from where he works and still be in a good schools system. And $1400 a month should be plenty to rent a nice house.

Welcome!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Waverly might be another district to consider, as there is plenty of shopping in the area(Delta and parts of Lansing townships). It, along with East Lansing is one of the more diverse suburban communities in the area too. Schools seem to be at least solid from what I remember. It is also actually in Eaton County, not Ingham County which is where most of the other communities are located. Grand Ledge and perhaps a very small part of the city of Lansing are in Eaton County too. DeWitt is in Clinton County. I think you will be fine pretty much anywhere in the area, as the people are down to earth and it is family friendly. I know I enjoyed it when I went to MSU for a few years in the mid 90's.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
My top picks are Mason, Grand Ledge and DeWitt. I highly suggest visiting before making a final decision, but all have excellent schools. East Lansing also has excellent schools if a little larger community is required.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information...I think I've narrowed down to Holt or Mason as they are closer to where my husband will be working. So looking forward to the move and getting out of Cali....and yes, the mexican food here is awesome but I've made sure to hound some of my friends so I can bring the recipes with me! Thank you everyone.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information...I think I've narrowed down to Holt or Mason as they are closer to where my husband will be working. So looking forward to the move and getting out of Cali....and yes, the mexican food here is awesome but I've made sure to hound some of my friends so I can bring the recipes with me! Thank you everyone.

Both very good choices. Mason is a quiet charming town. Holt is a bit bigger and closer to Lansing. If those were MY two choices I would pick Mason, Holt is a little too busy for my taste. Both are going to be VERY different from San Diego. Mason reminds me a lot of Lemon Grove and Holt would be more like La Mesa if you are familiar with those towns.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM

On another note: My husband is on his way to Temecula and I have threatened him with severe bodily harm if he doesn't find a way to bring me a carne asada burrito back with him!! Preferably from that little hole in the wall place in Chula Vista that was near the farmer's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan