Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times

Advertisements

I just read a story in Detroit Free Press about a squatter taking over a bank owned house.
The story states that only the property owner can "evict" a squatter and in fact has to go through the eviction process through court as if the squatter was a legitimate renter with a signed lease. This can take months.

I don't understand. Why can't a squatter be charged with trespassing and forced to vacate the premises just like any other tresspasser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,046 times
I dont have the answer but that old standby phrase of "squatters rights" comes to mind.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Because criminals have more rights than victims.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Remember the story a few years ago about the lady selling her house in Detroit? She moved to Livonia while listing with a real estate agent to sell the Detroit house...a squater moved in and she could not force him out. She had to go through the eviction process...the realtor coun't even show the house..\
So if I owned a house in Detroit and went to work in the morning, a squatter could move in and I would have to evict him/her from my house to get it back?

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-31-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,615 times
sounds like it's time to call the law offices of Smith & Wessen

Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,119 times
The best thing to do with a squatter now-a-days is to put a bunch of matches and gasoline in the house for them to keep warm. Just make sure that it's fully insured.

If you actually want the house back, bring a gun and a baseball bat. Warn the squatter to leave and if he refuses, shoot him dead. Call 911, place the bat in his hands, and report an attempted assault/self-defense incident.

Criminals have way too many rights. Thank the liberal judges/lawyers for this.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So if I owned a house in Detroit and went to work in the morning, a squatter could move in and I would have to evict him/her from my house to get it back?
This is happening with vacant properties, not occupied ones. And don't worry, you don't have to move to Detroit. The same thing is apparently happening in NC as well.

New squatting strategy targets vacant NC property | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/24/2718921/new-squatting-strategy-targets.html - broken link)

Last edited by canudigit; 11-03-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,277 times
This is a problem across the U.S... This story in Texas was the 1st I had heard about. This man just made himself at home in a $330,000 home. Laws need to be changed. We no longer need this one, and its only letting crooks get by with taking others homes. I dont think they'll win in the end, but home owners are having to put out a ton of money on fighting these criminals.

Texas Man Gets McMansion for $16, Neighbors Say He is a Squatter | Video - ABC News

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Squatters rights are also a problem if you allow someone to use any portion of your property, thinking you're just some good guy, they will burn you in the end.

Let someone drive across your property to access their own, and soon you must allow them to do so. Let them put up a fence on a portion of your property, and you may as well sign over that property to them, same thing if they get used to parking their car on your property.

My dad thought he was being a good guy and a nice neighbor when his neighbors built their driveway into his property, he didn't sue them to tear it out. Next thing, they were suing him for that portion of his property, claiming squatters rights over it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,299 times
I have been incarceraited since I was seventeen years old.I have janitorial certificates a colledge degree and just graduated from truck driving school.IM not on here to be disrespectful,however,I find it very hsrd for me to get a job.I have no family theres no proper programs for me to get a job and I been homeless for one year.I have a two week year old child I havent seen yet because I look for work all over the US. I try my hardest. What if I moved my family in a squatter house,took great care of it would I be wrong.How would you like to be in my shoes.There are honest people who are down and never had a chance in life like me.It hurts not be with my child not to walk in and say how my day at work was. Squatters have rights for whatever reason I dont know but do you know how many homeless families there actually are? No bodys saying walk in anywhere and live there but some properties are totally abandoned thats obvious in Detroit.the problem is not squatters its homeless people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan