U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,016 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a position at MSU, but one huge consideration for us is education.

First, how does MI curriculum compare to other states?

Also (and perhaps even more importantly) what is the perspective on gifted programs in the school systems? Have they been cut with budget issues? As I'm looking at the District websites in the areas surrounding MSU (Haslett, Okemos, East Lansing, Holt), I'm not having much luck finding a real emphasis on the importance of accommodating the needs of gifted kids--but, of course, it could be just what is portrayed on the websites.

I promise I'm not a pushy mom, but we've tried a school that didn't accommodate her and she was miserable! So I am very concerned about the availability of a gifted program for our oldest child, who is currently in a magnet classroom which operates at 2-3 grade levels above her grade level. We are currently in an open enrollment state (I can send my child to any school in any district in the state that has room for her), and magnet gifted programs are quite common.

Anybody have any experience with Gifted Programs in the area? Or any other advice?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,586,211 times
Several of the school systems facilitate Advanced Placement (AP) courses. I attended Mason and had a very good selection of AP from English to several sciences courses to math. Additionally, if a school is unable to facilitate participation in AP due to a scheduling conflict (in my case, it was AP Math conflicted with marching band), there is an option to attend the equivalent course at Lansing Community College and the school district will pay for the class. At least, this was the case with myself and several of my classmates that had similar conflicts in the late 90's.

Additionally, you will find extracurricular activities such as Quiz Bowl in the mid-Michigan area.

Of the surrounding school districts around MSU, East Lansing, Mason, Okemos, Haslett, DeWitt and Grand Ledge all have had excellent schools from my experience.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,016 times
Default Gifted Programs for Elementary Students??

Thanks for the information about the AP program and the school districts. It's good to know that they will have resources once they are in the older grades.

My immediate concern is for the presence of any gifted programs in the elementary schools... I'm not seeing anything on the district's websites.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,466,470 times
Contact the pupil personnel services office at each school and ask. You should be able to find the person you want to speak to on each web site.

There are federal laws and state laws with regards to providing services for all children with exceptionalities. Michigan, like other states, is dealing with education funding, but the school districts surrounding MSU have done a wonderful job of maintaining programs in spite of budget constraints.

The 3 school districts (Okemos, Haslett and East Lansing) all have rigorous programs, I'm sure you'll be able to find a district that meets your daughter's needs for her status. Michigan does have school choice, but there are some hoops to go through if you go that route.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan