Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times

Advertisements

Well, with snow comes clouds.
That's the one big thing I'm going to miss about Alaska, all the crisp clear skies in winter. It's the only time you can be sure of seeing Denali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
So according to maps posted above we are supposed to be 40% colder and have 33% more snow. I wonder what that means for cloud cover? I hate how cloudy it is here in west MI.
No, the maps mean that there's a greater than 40% chance the temperatures will be colder than average and there's a greater than 33% but less than 40% chance that there will be more precipitation (including rain, snow, sleet and hail) than average.

As for the cloud cover, that's not easy to predict. It likely won't be any less cloudier than it has been. That said, if the winter does end up being more active than average, it would tend to mean more cloudy days than what you normally see (low pressure/cyclones = rising air = cloud formation).

Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Highland is in Oakland County.

In my book, and since it was my post, Metro Detroit = Detroit, and Metro Detroit includes the tri-county area by the official measures.

No one cares about the statistic in Highland, with a population of less than 20,000.

The point is, climo doesn't support much snow in November around these parts. On the other hand, up north in Michigan, where Nephler is, maybe. Then again, they've been having crappy witners overall the last few seasons too. If you want snow in November move to Alaska (they may not see much snow in terms of anything significant at once, but now overall, but it does snow in November in parts of it more than it does Detroit), Greenland or even the far Northern Plains.

But you'll get your snow (the snowiest month is February on average BTW).
Hmmm funny I hear a lot of the stats for Oakland county are measured out of their weather center in White Lake. Either way being Oakland county or not, there are days when I get snow here and we have none where I work 45 minutes away. ( closer to Detroit) So my point is that whatever Detroit gets is not the same as what we get. I've caught crap because I talked about the bad roads on my way in and everyone else would laugh like I was making it up.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Hmmm funny I hear a lot of the stats for Oakland county are measured out of their weather center in White Lake. Either way being Oakland county or not, there are days when I get snow here and we have none where I work 45 minutes away. ( closer to Detroit) So my point is that whatever Detroit gets is not the same as what we get. I've caught crap because I talked about the bad roads on my way in and everyone else would laugh like I was making it up.
White Lake only averages 2.9" of snow in November, just an FYI. The only reason for this is because that area topographically speaking is slightly higher in elevation than Detroit proper (and BTW, Detroit's records come from Romulus, not Detroit proper, another FYI), the synoptics and climo are still the same. The slightly higher elevation doesn't matter at all if the synoptics and climo doesn't favor much snow. Either way, it's all a part of Metro Detroit (Detroit).

So my point still stands, unless there's some big whoop over an a few tenths of an inch (Detriot's number was more like 2.2" if I recall correctly). This area doesn't get much snow in November. Don't panic, you'll get your snow soon enough, you may just get plenty of snow. Winter doesn't even start officially unti December 21st, you still have another month to go before you're in snow heaven.

EDIT, my mistake, the 2.9" was precipitation in general. That said, I'm sure the numbers aren't too different from Detroit (Flint and Ann Arbor only averages 3.5" in November).

Last edited by 313Weather; 11-20-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 05:06 PM

161 posts, read 278,511 times
313Weather~Thank you for explaining the maps to me. As for the more activity=more clouds makes sense. *sigh* Coming from the south, the cloudy winters are hard to take. (

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Coming from the south, the cloudy winters are hard to take. (
The best way that I know of to deal with the cloudy days and lack of daylight is to get outdoors. Any and every chance you have, get out there. Having lived in Alaska with the short hours of daylight in winter, I really learned to get out as much as possible. It really does help.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times
I don't want it, i'm loving this season already, if you guys get it, we get it eventually here in PA, do not want it.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't want it, i'm loving this season already, if you guys get it, we get it eventually here in PA, do not want it.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:24 PM

161 posts, read 278,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
The best way that I know of to deal with the cloudy days and lack of daylight is to get outdoors. Any and every chance you have, get out there. Having lived in Alaska with the short hours of daylight in winter, I really learned to get out as much as possible. It really does help.
I've been doing that too. I also have depression (on meds now) so that adds to the misery. There is so much I love about my adopted state of MI but just trying to adjust to winter has been hard.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM

374 posts, read 759,317 times
Quote:
313Weather~Thank you for explaining the maps to me. As for the more activity=more clouds makes sense. *sigh* Coming from the south, the cloudy winters are hard to take. (
Coming from Iowa, the cloudy winters are hard to take

The Iowa winters are harsh, but it seems to be much cloudier here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan