Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its interesting reading all the posts you Lower Mi. folks bemoan . When, you really never have had a lot of snow, with the exception of the SW snow belt. Upper Michigan has just been cited as being number 3 in the Country for the white stuff.... That statement is flawed, cause most snowfall is " officially" recorded at local Airports, in rural areas the difference can be huge. Take our Keweenaw County, that's where the real record snowfall is, like in Deleware where they have the big measuring pole , its much greater there that the official reading in Houghton. Also , the small town of Herman , In Baraga County actually holds the national record for being number one in snowfall in a 24 hour period . However because of the fact there is no airport, its not officially counted.
You have to become familiar with your averages.

It's very true that averages may differ from what's at the airport. It's also very true that a greater than average snowfall in one place may not be "a lot" when comparing it to places in the Lake Ontario snowbelt that average easily 200"+ inches. That's doesn't mean that relative to average your area didn't see a lot of snow.

Having 3 of the 4 top 5 snowiest winter in Detroit's history occur within the last 5 years (since 1880) is very much impressive either way you spin it. It may not be nearly as much as Northern Michigan averages, but relative to what only Detroit averages it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

It's very true that averages may differ from what's at the airport. It's also very true that the average snowfall may not be "a lot" whe ncomparing it to places in the Lake Ontario snowbelt that average easily 200"+ inches. That's doesn't mean that relative to average your area didn't see a lot of snow.

Having 3 of the 4 top 5 snowiest winter in Detroit's history occur within the last 5 years (since 1880) is very much impressive either way you spin it. It may not be nearly as much as Northern Michigan averages, but relative to what only Detroit averages it is.
The snow measuring stick, up in the Keweenaw goes well over 300 " Here in Marquette 3 years ago we had almost that amount.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:42 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
I may get a rock thrown at me but, I actually like it snowless right now. Granted I don't mind snow when it comes down, but not when I have to drive in it. Especially since I am a trucker working second shift every night, I always have to deal with the elements if the roads get bad. And with Christmas being a week away, it'll make it easier for me to make my road trip to TX for a family visit so having clear roads is always a plus.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I may get a rock thrown at me but, I actually like it snowless right now. Granted I don't mind snow when it comes down, but not when I have to drive in it. Especially since I am a trucker working second shift every night, I always have to deal with the elements if the roads get bad. And with Christmas being a week away, it'll make it easier for me to make my road trip to TX for a family visit so having clear roads is always a plus.
Consider rocks thrown...

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I'm ready for the rocks coming my way too, but I like not having snow. I've got elders to care for getting to doctor appointments, and it's always a big worry for me in the winter whether we'll get there safe and sound. I basically would be happy with no snow whatsoever. HOWEVER, I do feel for you folks who like snow and want it. It's the flip side to how many of us feel when we're waiting for spring after a long winter. I hope the rocks won't be too big coming my way.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 AM

147 posts, read 226,302 times
the weather man just said there will be a brown christmas this year. warmer weather and no snow in the forecast . yikes. i really want snow.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
I figure since it's gonna be cold anyway, we might as well have snow so you can do something outside. Kinda hard to go sledding, snowmobiling, etc. when there's hardly any snow.

Also when there's snow it makes the nights not seem as long because the white reflective background makes it so much easier to see in the dark. With no snow everything is just plain pitch black.

I'd also much rather drive in snow, than rain that turns to ice.

We have a couple inches on the ground from Saturday night. Hope it stays.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

It's very true that averages may differ from what's at the airport. It's also very true that a greater than average snowfall in one place may not be "a lot" when comparing it to places in the Lake Ontario snowbelt that average easily 200"+ inches. That's doesn't mean that relative to average your area didn't see a lot of snow.

I thought more about your statement of the harsher winters moving south ( Detroit).. I agree, that pattern seems to be the norm for the last three seasons.I know we are just getting into the season, however already big weather is invading the mid SW part of the country. And, look whats been going on in parts of the East coast. ! Snow is snow, where ever you find it, the big difference being dry or wet and the temp variation in any given place. Again that's where the Latitude comes in. Up here in da UP , we have been having mild winters , but once it snows, it usually stays for the duration , all winter long, into spring.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I'm ready for the rocks coming my way too, but I like not having snow. I've got elders to care for getting to doctor appointments, and it's always a big worry for me in the winter whether we'll get there safe and sound. I basically would be happy with no snow whatsoever. HOWEVER, I do feel for you folks who like snow and want it. It's the flip side to how many of us feel when we're waiting for spring after a long winter. I hope the rocks won't be too big coming my way.
Maybe we'll get pebbles...shouldn't be too bad

Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Pebbles sound much better than the rocks. I thank you for that adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan