Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM

850 posts, read 1,889,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I get what you are saying about processed foods. But processed foods and fast food have been around for a long time at this point. The obesity rate has increased dramatically in just the last decade. I am absolutely saying the main problem is lack of exercise.

Can you think of anything that has really taken off in the past decade? How about the Internet? Video games? Giant TVs that are practically mesmerizing compared to TVs of the past?

We spend a lot more time sitting on our butts than we used to. That is the problem. It is getting more and more easy to stay inside and stare at some sort of screen, whether it is a TV, computer, laptop, cell phone, etc. I am guilty of this myself, and it is something that I have to battle with every day. It's a lot easier to pass time by perusing a website like City Data than to get outside and MOVE.

You know what is another epidemic that we are facing? Blaming everyone and everything but ourselves for our problems.
i take offense that you insinuate i'm blaming everyone else for people being fat. i never said that. i'm saying this is part of the problem. i don't know the specifics of which factors equal what percent etc, and neither do you. its a little of both i would guess. you don't seem to want to take personal responsibility to finding out what is IN your food. i guess its easier to pretend it doesn't exist. you don't have to be overweight to be unhealthy. plenty of non obese who have an array of health issues. are you going to blame that on lack of exercise too?

the reason why i bring up the food problem is because i find it slightly irritating that the way things are set up, most people have no idea of what they are eating. i think that is a factor, i also think low income is a factor, lack of exercise, too much technology, etc. processed foods have NOT been like they are now for the past 50 years. please do your research. the ingredients we have on packages now were not on the packages 50 years ago. and a diet of corn syrup, food colorings, white sugar and high sodium WILL make you lethargic (there's your lack of exercise argument), depressed, unmotivated, tired, etc. you miss my point. its all connected. so why don't we exercise? why don't we feel like it anymore? everything has taken off in the last decade. not just tv's. YOUR FOOD has taken off.....as well as tv's, technology, greed, and whatever other factors.

all these things take us away from being in the present moment. the more you add into your life, the less you really live life to the fullest. but don't dismiss that there has been major corruption and wrongdoing in the food industry. there has.... there's been major corruption in most everything. you seem to be able to see the extreme's in electronics/tv's/technology, why do you dismiss food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Age causes obesity.

In the 1960s I ate whipped cream and potato chip sandwiches on wonder bread. I was super skinny. Now I eat broccoli and I am somewhat overweight.

Thus it is age, that makes you fat. (or maybe whipped cream and lays patote chips and wonder bread are actually good for you).

Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM

374 posts, read 755,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Age causes obesity.

In the 1960s I ate whipped cream and potato chip sandwiches on wonder bread. I was super skinny. Now I eat broccoli and I am somewhat overweight.

Thus it is age, that makes you fat. (or maybe whipped cream and lays patote chips and wonder bread are actually good for you).
In the 1970's I was eating brown sugar sandwiches on wonder bread and I was a skinny child
Now I won't even touch bread, or brown sugar for that matter. I'm not fat, but I have to watch every thing I eat or I would be. Age definitely makes a difference

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,172,003 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying about processed foods. But processed foods and fast food have been around for a long time at this point. The obesity rate has increased dramatically in just the last decade. I am absolutely saying the main problem is lack of exercise.

Can you think of anything that has really taken off in the past decade? How about the Internet? Video games? Giant TVs that are practically mesmerizing compared to TVs of the past?

We spend a lot more time sitting on our butts than we used to. That is the problem. It is getting more and more easy to stay inside and stare at some sort of screen, whether it is a TV, computer, laptop, cell phone, etc. I am guilty of this myself, and it is something that I have to battle with every day. It's a lot easier to pass time by perusing a website like City Data than to get outside and MOVE.

You know what is another epidemic that we are facing? Blaming everyone and everything but ourselves for our problems.
Everything you've said here is all so true. You just beat me to it.
The food has nothing to do with the obesity, it's the laziness. Look at all the fat, yes fat, to hell with PC, look at them, they are fat a$$es, kids around now. Why? The parents are to blame letting their kids set around all day long playing video games. So many of us have become lazy, just as you say, with all the eye candy on the big screens. I've been known to say out loud to some of the fat people I see at Wallyworld "if you'd get off your a$$ you wouldn't be so fat". Sure, some have a problem, but most are just plain lazy and wont get up off their butts and move.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,269,350 times
Michigan was in the downwind region that took a lot of fallout from the atomic bomb testing out west in the 1940s, leaving our soil deficient in iodine and Michigan women (and their kids) with lots of thyroid and goiter issues which is why they started putting iodine in our salt. It also explains why Michigan residents have a history of being predisposed to health issues that tend to make people have a harder time controlling weight.

Downwinders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

so eating sugar doesn't cause depression, decrease growth hormones, cause food allergies, cause drowsiness and decreased activity, contribute to diabetes, impair the structure of DNA, create more yeast in the digestive tract, depresses your immune system, deplete your body of vitamins and minerals, increase liver fat, liver and kidney size, change to 2-5 more times fat stored in the body than starch, cause mood swings and sleeplessness? it doesn't affect the receptor sites in the brain? you're saying it doesn't act like a drug?

the average american consumes 156 pounds of sugar a year. between 1987 and 1997 consumption of sugar grew 20%. in 1967 americans ate 114 pounds of sugar and sweeteners a year per capita, nearly all of it as either raw or refined sugar. in 2003, each person consumed about 142 pounds of sugar per year!

now google the effects of sugar and keep saying that food has nothing to do with our obesity. keep saying that it doesn't affect brain chemistry, brain chemistry which is directly linked to energy levels, sleep, mood. keep saying that sugar does not act like a drug in the body. keep ignoring the skyrocketing amounts of sugar in our diets and say it's only exercise that leads to obesity. you expect a child to get up and go exercise when they're being drugged at each meal. get real.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,260,105 times
The American entitlement mentality has everything to do with the obesity problem. I am an RN, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard a patient who is hospitalized for obesity-related problems have the attitude of, "Hey, don't tell me what to do, Doc. I know I should be eating healthier and exercising, but I live in America, and I have RIGHTS! Yep, ain't nobody gonna tell ME what to do. If I want to live on fast food and beer and sit in front of the TV 24/7, then _______ you for telling me that I shouldn't. This is America, I can do what I want, it's my RIGHT, then I also have the RIGHT to come and get cheap or, even better, free medical care, and you are supposed to be able to fix all of my health problems with no effort whatsoever on my part. After all, it's my RIGHT," Blah, blah, blah, in so many words. Americans, in the course of being given way too much and far too easy of a life, have become the biggest entitled, "#&$#@ you, I'll do whatever I want", nation the world has ever seen, with the possible exception of Ancient Rome. And we all know how that worked out for them...

Last edited by canudigit; 12-06-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM

88 posts, read 138,317 times
This simple solution to all of this is to have people pay for their own insurance/health care. If they had to pay for the full cost of their lifestyles I assure you we'd have far fewer fat people. Its amazing financial ramifications will change behavior.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:35 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,568,199 times
Quote:
so eating sugar doesn't cause depression, decrease growth hormones, cause food allergies, cause drowsiness and decreased activity, contribute to diabetes, impair the structure of DNA, create more yeast in the digestive tract, depresses your immune system, deplete your body of vitamins and minerals, increase liver fat, liver and kidney size, change to 2-5 more times fat stored in the body than starch, cause mood swings and sleeplessness? it doesn't affect the receptor sites in the brain? you're saying it doesn't act like a drug?

the average american consumes 156 pounds of sugar a year. between 1987 and 1997 consumption of sugar grew 20%. in 1967 americans ate 114 pounds of sugar and sweeteners a year per capita, nearly all of it as either raw or refined sugar. in 2003, each person consumed about 142 pounds of sugar per year!

now google the effects of sugar and keep saying that food has nothing to do with our obesity. keep saying that it doesn't affect brain chemistry, brain chemistry which is directly linked to energy levels, sleep, mood. keep saying that sugar does not act like a drug in the body. keep ignoring the skyrocketing amounts of sugar in our diets and say it's only exercise that leads to obesity. you expect a child to get up and go exercise when they're being drugged at each meal. get real.
I am not arguing with any of the effects of junk food.

But guess who controls what we put in our mouths? We do. That is the bottom line. The more energy that we waste trying to prove some evil food conspiracy, the less energy we can spend on the real problem, which is US. It is a lot easier to blame "Big Food" than it is to take control of our own lives. Is it really going to help anyone RIGHT NOW to go on a crusade against food? Nope. Because while you're out there spreading the word about the evils of food production, people are... still eating it. And way too much of it. The quickest and easiest fix is for people to start taking responsibility for their own health. That's why I get so irritated with "blame the food" campaign. The last thing people need is another excuse to sit back and say "it's not my fault." Because they need to change their lives right now.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I am not arguing with any of the effects of junk food.

But guess who controls what we put in our mouths? We do. That is the bottom line. The more energy that we waste trying to prove some evil food conspiracy, the less energy we can spend on the real problem, which is US. It is a lot easier to blame "Big Food" than it is to take control of our own lives. Is it really going to help anyone RIGHT NOW to go on a crusade against food? Nope. Because while you're out there spreading the word about the evils of food production, people are... still eating it. And way too much of it. The quickest and easiest fix is for people to start taking responsibility for their own health. That's why I get so irritated with "blame the food" campaign. The last thing people need is another excuse to sit back and say "it's not my fault." Because they need to change their lives right now.
i don't think you're understanding the nature of the problem. human beings are prone to addiction, every one of them. when food is portrayed as food but is really loaded with drugs and the people who eat it are not educated on the subject you're going to have overeating. for various reasons, not everyone is going to seek out such information (like yourself). instead you are going to have a population trusting the government and food industries. so when those people walk into the grocery store and buy most of their food out of boxes, bags and cans (as commercials for this crap is crammed down their throats sitting in front of the tv) they have no idea of what they are really eating. they have no idea that this 'food' is really acting as a drug once entered in their systems. because of greed. and you think its pointless to educate people as to what they are eating? seriously? wow. how could a person take responsibility for their health when they are PURPOSELY MISLEAD?????? i know when i became educated on what was really in my food i didn't sit back and blame anyone, i stopped eating it. if a low income single mother can do it, i'm sure the rest can too. go ahead and try a whole day without salt, fat and sugar, eat raw....nothing out of a box, can or bag and tell me how much you eat. i'd LOVE to hear the results miss 'i don't really think our food acts like a drug'.

i'm not suggesting we 'blame the food' as you endlessly repeat. i'm suggesting that our government stop helping the food industry to poison us. i think the word should be spread....people have the right to know. it baffles me how a person can dismiss something that is so serious and affects every single one of us.....down to our overweight diabetic A.D.D. children (our future), to the taxpayers paying for the subsidies the government decides (the ones who make then rich), the skyrocketing cost of health insurance (which will continue to rise because of the poison we ingest daily), or the genetically modified crops and pesticides which deplete our soil, mess with the food chain and have no accurate testing on long term health effects.

you call this a 'waste of time'? unfrickinbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: