Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM

850 posts, read 1,897,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I could easily make myself obese. I was headed in that direction about 8 years ago. My guilty pleasure was breaded shrimp dipped in butter. I'd also eat fast food (Wendys, Popeyes, etc.) through the night while working night shift. I ballooned from 160lbs to well over 220lbs.
After I realized what I was doing and stopped eating the junk, I went back down to a more normal weight and have stayed there. Bad eating habits can absolutely make a person obese.
so was there any exercise involved? or did you just change what you ate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
so was there any exercise involved? or did you just change what you ate?
no change in exercise. i watched the documentary super size me and stopped eating fast food completely. i also did research about animal factory farms and became a vegetarian. i still don't eat perfectly but i'm far from the obese level I was at when I ate battered shrimp, fast food, & meat.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 AM

97 posts, read 432,677 times
The problem is food and lifestyle. People do not have access to good nutritious foods. Im sorry but if the majority of your meals are made from Hamburger Helper, you are not eating properly. The down side is that good foods are also expensive. Sure exercise also helps tremendously, but with our modern lifestyles who has the time. Many people work 40 or more hours a week then have families they must tend to. That leaves little time for exercise.

What needs to change?

I think if more people grew their own food or got involved in a community garden, that might help. One could learn the ins and outs of how to grow food for themselves going to community garden.

I think it is sad that many children cannot even recognize fruits and vegetables by name anymore. That needs to change.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Obese people need to stop going to fast food places and buffets, altogether if they want to lose weight.

Then they need to shop the perimiters of the grocery stores for healthier, fresh foods. (produce, dairy, lean meats and whole grain breads) Stay away from the center aisles containing processed foods: boxed, canned, snack foods, and frozen foods. Eat seeds, nuts and dried fruits for snacks, (in MODERATION)not salty snacks or those full of sugar.

Drink water... lots of water.

This is a start to becoming healthier and eating properly.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Stay away from the center aisles containing processed foods: boxed, canned, snack foods, and frozen foods. Eat seeds, nuts and dried fruits for snacks,
But aren't seeds, nuts, & dried fruits in the center aisles?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
However, we can't have the government telling people how much they can and can not eat, like Snyder is doing with people's children.

Last edited by 313Weather; 12-10-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: