Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,172,003 times

Advertisements

Oh there is no doubt I'd jump at a chance to move to Marquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM

34 posts, read 56,627 times
Curious - what's the draw for everyone who doesn't live in Marquette who wants to either move back or move there for the first time? What makes Marquette so different/special compared to anywhere else?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,172,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennorth View Post
Curious - what's the draw for everyone who doesn't live in Marquette who wants to either move back or move there for the first time? What makes Marquette so different/special compared to anywhere else?
For me, the town sets on the shore of Lake Superior. The ability to get way to remote areas with ease for hiking and trail riding. The natural beauty of the area. Marquette itself is fairly remote and away from any other major cities that brings crime and so on.

I could go on and on...

Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
For me its the area...the forest...waterfalls and just all around beauty. Plus Marquette just felt right...like I belonged, and the draw Lake Superior has on me...and most people, is something that really cant be explained. It is something that is talked about from the time of the early settlers, so there must be some kind of unexplained energy that draws those of us who feel it.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 AM

So has reality met or exceeded the dream that is Marquette for anyone who has moved back or there for the first time?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,619,024 times
I'm still waiting for my chance to visit Marquette and see for myself, but the most interesting elements to me are the mystical qualities this area seems identified with. It sounds like my interest in Jung and Joe Campbell would be well suited for this area.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Well folks, here I come. ! I bet some of you wondered when I would jump in, its been hard to bite my fingers !..... If anyone talks way too much about any place,many get tired of listening or become suspicious. Thats the main reason I have not been around much,along with other personal reasons.
Now , with that out of the way,here goes. First, The UP is not like the Ozarks, yes same story about old worn down mountains, but that's it. .I have been to Little Rock many times, and other than the segregation issues, its just another big city.
Marquette was my choice four years ago.I owe it all to City-data when it came to the final decision to retire here.Yes been coming to the UP for many years in summer and FALL, CAMPING etc, so I was not a newbie when it came to the weather. I love the cool summers and the lack of humidity.As of late ( last two seasons), Marquette and the entire UP is getting less snow and hotter summers. Climate Change I am sure ! Last year Chicago had a harsher winter than we did !.... Most everything else said here should give the OP some correct info. Nothing like living where you are giving pros or negs anyplace. The UP was on my bucket list for 30 years, so, I had no choice. Marquette was not on my list, however the strides the City has made this last 30 years is astounding!! The awards that have been won, best Place to retire, best bike trails, best restoration work in the country, on and on. That should tell you a lot. The most astounding thing ,always will be, is looking at the big lake from almost any place in downtown.....something about Superior...its been given the proper name long ago..

Old 12-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Darstar - What advice would you give a family with young children thinking of moving to Marquette? I wonder from a young persons point of view what there thoughts are about living in the area? As the kids get older and move away for opportunities most want to come back if possible when it's time to raise a family. Just my perspective based on family who live in the Marquette area.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Quote:
Darstar - What advice would you give a family with young children thinking of moving to Marquette? I wonder from a young persons point of view what there thoughts are about living in the area? As the kids get older and move away for opportunities most want to come back if possible when it's time to raise a family. Just my perspective based on family who live in the Marquette area.
Thanks for asking, however, you are asking 2 questions. First, are the kids here happy ? I say yes but , better viewpoints might come from those parents who have young children who have first hand experience.I do know kids here have a lot of things to do, the great outdoors is at their doorstep.I have heard the schools are good also. The people I know personally who have children seem to be just as involved in extra activities like anywhere else, with, a dominated interest on Hockey. Sports are big here and funding does not seem to be a problem.
Your second question is much easier for me to answer, I have had similar experiences personally.Growing up in small town,rural Iowa is not that much different than here. My advice is try to get the best education you can, attend NMU, then when it comes time to apply yourself, do what you have to do. Some jobs require a big city experience. I have always said ( as to giving advice to young people), When its time, move to Chicago ( only 45 min. by plane), make your mark, save your money, then when the time is right move back to Marquette. It may be late in life or earlier, all depends on how things work out. On the other hand, some I know have moved away as adults, had kids, and THEN returned to Marquette because of quality of living ... sometimes relatives, but not always. Never let Family hold you back in what ever you do. Yes it can be lonely in the big city, you do get homesick, that's natural. In the long run is mostly the best thing to do. Kids and young people in general,are first bullet proof and secondly flexible.
I do know of some retired folks who moved here, and hate the fact that Grand children are so far away, that can happen anywhere, we never know where we will wind up, I leave it all to fate, nothing else to do. The main thing is live where you are happy with the weather, the people, the environment. Marquette is that balance, and a great opportunity to live here. many wish they could live here, but due to work and young children are finding it hard to move, that's sad, they are missing out on one of America,s best experiences, living in the UP !

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Darstar - Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan