Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM

9 posts, read 33,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I found a house I like in Albion, MI. It seems that back in 2007-2009 people here had a lot of negative things to say about it. It is now 2011 and so maybe things have changed?

The house is located at:

1302 Barnes Street, Albion MI 49224 - Google Maps

Please click the link and let me know if a 43 year old Italian-American (unmarried with no kids) would be welcome. I mostly keep to myself and work as a day-trader so stay in a lot.
Thanks.

Last edited by FRAIZR; 12-05-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Are you thinking about Adrian? That has had a negative image for awhile. I remember Albion as being kind of nice.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The east side of town around but not immediately adjacent to the college is the good side of town, such that it is. Albion College requires 95%+ of its students to live in campus housing so you generally don't have to worry about getting stuck in a 'student ghetto'.

Town's pretty much as it was in 07-09- except for the college, it's a long slow decline since the heavy industry packed up and left for points elsewhere, and even grocery shopping can be pretty limited.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 AM

238 posts, read 742,816 times
I still have family in the Albion area. It has suffered from the loss of industry. I belonged to the Albion Community Theater as a patron, they do or did have plays that I enjoyed attending. We generally shopped in Jackson at Meijer and Sam's, although Battle Creek is roughly the same distance. For pizza and beer there's Cascarelli's on Superior (Main) St and Charlie's on Perry St.
There are plenty of Italian Americans still in town, you should fit in and feel welcome.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 22,014 times
Depends on what you are looking for. I grew up in that area and spent time in Albion. The school system had a reputation for being somewhat violent and/or scary. Even if you don't have children, those students will still be present in the community. As others have mentioned, businesses and industry are pulling out of the area. There was a fairly large medical community with the hospital, but that closed down. Not sure if they have resurrected it or if they are using the building for something else. If you like small town life without a lot of diversions, you'll like it. I like Cascarelli's, too, but I think the Homer restaurant has a better atmosphere than the Albion restaurant.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,159 times
Active Gangs on both sides of town, Dating back to the 90s. New cops that don't know the area well. Shootings, fights, robberies, killing, and drugs. Still is a lovely town. Just stay away from uptown- area by the highway exit from w broadwell down to Austin ave. Those streets can be dangerous. Downtown- over the train tracks on S eaton, from washington to erie all the way down to dyrumple. If your on center st, then your in the heart of the. danger zone.

The rest of albion is great, safe and friendly.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,911 times
The North side of Albion is still pretty bad. Lots of crime and violence there. Everywhere else, it's a lovely town, and while it's not my first choice of where I'd want to live, it's a really nice place. If you want to live there, I'd say go for it.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 PM

238 posts, read 742,816 times
FRAIZR; Are you still in the forums? Whatever happened with that house on Barnes? If you did move in, I hope that everything is going well for you in Albion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan