Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
This seems to be a quirky statistic, with little real relevance.

I suspect very few people would think of Benton Harbor as a huge population center - but I bet you it (or some town near it) would lead Michigan in the "Hundred Mile Radius" contest.
I would think that the information has to be viewed with common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well, this Guy does not compute what you say. You need to spell out just what you want to do or see from analyzable statistics ( most likely available right here on City-Data). All I have ever heard of is " trade area" , and " Metro area"as a basis for population .Not sure where the 100 mile thing came from, other that what has been used as a trade area. Take Chicago, it was always said that the "city Metro area", was 100 miles north to south and 100 miles east to west. I am sure road miles were used, as crossing Lake Michigan directly is not the norm for trade ( retail).

Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM

I may be wrong on the road miles,come to think of it. I think its air miles. Years ago we used the 100 mile air factor when discussing Interstate Commerce, however, its all different these days with deregulation. NW Indiana was included in the 100 mile waver, not state lines. The DOT may still use this formula, since the ICC is no more anyway. ( All trade is now considered Interstate ,even if no borders are crossed, o r commerical port water connections are involved)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Example~the 100 radius does not not pertain to Benton harbor it would be flipped and used for Chicago. Not Flint, Lansing or Saginaw but Detroit..

Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
Example~the 100 radius does not not pertain to Benton harbor it would be flipped and used for Chicago. Not Flint, Lansing or Saginaw but Detroit..
Good point, in the large scheme of things, but, Benton harbor did have a "trade area" once upon a time of its own, and it included St Joe I am sure. Most folks wish to pretend Benton Harbor never existed, and for good reason these days. However, there was a time,not so long ago when it was the place to live,along the river. A few years ago I considered a FLW home there, but was beyond my finances.The tour was great anyway !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan