Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 26,821 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just found this site recently by accident, and have read many of the posts. I thought I would post about my experiences leaving Michigan, searching for new places to live, and why I’m going to return after all these years.

I left southeastern Michigan about 15 years ago when I was in my mid/late twenties. I left to go to graduate school out of state, thinking I would possibly return, but did not. I left for some of the reasons people state here: because I was young and free and wanted to experience new places. Michigan’s economy also factored in my decision as well.

I have subsequently lived in the southwest U.S., and currently live in Oregon with husband and kids. I did a LOT of research ahead of time, and generally lived places you find on the “top places to live” lists.

For those of you leaving because you have to in order to find work, well of course all the best to you because you have to do what you have to do.

But for whatever, here are some random thoughts:

1. Michigan is a great state. Like many of you have mentioned, it is more than southeastern Michigan. I will grant you, the economy is terrible in SE Michigan right now, and that trickles over to other areas. I am not ignorant of its problems, but having been a lot of places, I know that Michigan is an incredibly special and unique place too.

2. There is no promised land out there. I have been all over U.S., and have lived in different regions. They all have their positives and negatives. Warm weather, crummy wages. Great economy, high housing cost. Etc The “best places to live” cities have people coming from all over, which brings new sets of problems. Think hard about what it is that you are looking for, and what you are willing to compromise on.

3. Do your research – so much is available online today. And obviously, you have to go visit – for a long visit, or several visits, to really get a feel for the place.

4. If you are young and unencumbered, go for it. Now is the time to venture out if that is what you want to do. The worst that can happen is that you decide to come back, but at least you won’t spend your life wondering “what if”.

5. If you are not so unencumbered, think harder about leaving Michigan. Here’s why: We spend most of our limited vacation time traveling back to see relatives, leaving us not much free time for another vacation. We spend a lot of money on airline tickets, and travel is getting to be a huge hassle. You think people will come to visit you – some will, most won’t. Our parents are older and have health problems that require our assistance. It is hard to not have the support of family if you need it. Friends are great, but they are seldom like a family in the clutch times.

6. If you still want to go, consider living someplace driving distance – this will ease the burdens mentioned above.

7. Housing: many of you would find the housing prices in other places shockingly high. Don’t rely on what you see online in real estate web sites – you have to go visit to get a real feel for what you get for your money. Here in Oregon, there is no way we could afford to buy a house today (we bought 5 years ago and things have doubled in value since then). This is the case all up and down the west coast – as well as other places in the U.S. as well.

And so, after all these years, my family and I are moving back to Michigan this summer to Traverse City (we are self-employed). I love where we live right now, and on paper it seems perfect. However, our hearts are just not in it anymore -- and so it's back to Michigan for us.

Best of luck to all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 AM

8 posts, read 31,291 times
Thanks for a great post, positive and full of wisdom. I, too, left Michigan for employment when I was young. I have since lived in Phoenix, L.A., San Francisco, Medford, OR, Portland, OR, and now in Pennsylvania. I just accepted an offer on a position in St. Ignace and my wife and I are absolutely elated to be moving to the U.P. While there were positive elements to living in each of those places at the time and age I was, I never really felt like they were "home." On the other hand, I was restless and adventuresome and probably needed to satisfy that desire. Oregon was incredibly scenic and on paper, yes it is wonderful, but not home. Bingo on your accessment of family travel both ways.

Michigan is a wonderful state with so much to see and experience and I find now that I feel like I've missed out on spending much of my life away from where I truly want to be. So, If you are young and of the mind to venture out, or if employment is the issue, do what you have to. I think you'll likely feel the longing to be back home eventually. If you don't, then you've made the right decision to move on. Best wishes in your endeavors!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Great posts! The Traverse City area is beautiful and full of life, even on the off-season. There are a lot of new developments downtown, and there is a waiting list for retailers to get into the spaces on Front St, most of which are nice locally-owned variety and not inundated with Starbucks on every corner.

I think you'll be very happy with your return.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,110 times
Welcome back!

We love it here in Ada, Michigan and hope we will not have to leave anytime soon. Hope to see you on Lake Michigan this summer in our Sea Ray!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 26,821 times
Thanks for the comments. I was unsure of the focus of the forum, but I sadly saw a number of comments deriding Michigan -- as well as comments/questions from people curious about moving out. I just felt like offering my experience.

Yes, we are very excited to be moving to TC -- and think it will be a great place to raise our family.

Best again!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,536 times
Default Michigan is in my heart!

Well, what can I say... Great posts guys! I'm a born and bred yooper who left with my mother to Florida. For years now, I haven't been happy, though I do have a good job. I miss the forests and the rocks(there are none down here) and the wildlife. I miss the adventure of living in the UP and experiencing the change of seasons and the snow (Yes, I may be crazy but I do miss it!) So, this summer after a lot of soul searching, I decided that I was going back. The land is very cheap, the pace of life is slower, there are no 'drug corners' like you see in the communities here. And YES you can get a job!!! Do not let that deter you! I could go job hunting down here and probably get about the same wage up there. You just have to be flexible. Good luck to all of you! I hope your dreams of living in Michigan come true!!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 AM

3 posts, read 14,701 times
Hey BacktoMichi, I lived in Michigan only a year and wish I could move back!
I was there from September '91 to June '92, while in kindergarten. I was in Pontiac, MI. Even though, I was just six, I "LOVED" it!!! There parks were beautiful.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,202 times
i hear what everyone is saying, i love michigan and i have lived here all my life, i would like to move somewhere else but maybe nothing really wont be different maybe it would be worse like some of you are saying, and the grass isnt so green on the otherside.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM

106 posts, read 573,111 times
Default Coming back. NOT!

Pfizer announced yesterday that they are closing their facility in Ann Arbor.
Over 2000 jobs will be lost, including contractors.
If that is not a good reason to stay the heck out of here I do not know what is.

I hope you have a secure job lined up or the means to support your family if you lose your job. I willing to bet that everyone on this Michigan site knows someone who has lost there job or home.

(My house is on the market and I am headed to Texas)

I know the grass is not greener on the other side, however I am not about to stay aboard a sinking ship.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,367 times
Detroit Rules.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan