U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,748 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was born and raised in the Detroit area, left in 1978 to join the Navy, and came to San Diego when my service was done. Bad mistake.
Now, after living in San Diego for 29 years, I am sick of the rat race and the really high housing prices here. I will never be able to own a house here and really do not like the idea of being at the mercy of the greedy cheap landlords here. Only about 8 percent of the population can afford to buy here and you need to make something like $120,000 a year to qualify for a home here. Presently, a 1 bdrm condo goes for about $400,000 and the jobs here don't pay enough.
So, I am seriously thinking about moving back to Mich. where the housing is affordable and the people are real.
I have about 10 years exp. as a machinist in San Diego, presently working in the aerospace industry. The only thing keeping me in San Diego is my job. I'm certain I can find a decent job up there but I think I would have to move up there first.
I thought I would touch bases with people who live in Mich. to see what it's like there now, since I haven't been there since '79 and I don't know anyone there anymore.
Let me know your thoughts on this.
If anyone has the idea of moving to California to get out of the snow, etc..., I would advise against it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 AM

262 posts, read 736,398 times
Ron I know that being a Machinist there should be work here, which would be auto related, My ex Father in law was a Tool and Die maker for over twenty years and when he came up for early retirement he took off to Alabama and he's been down there since 1993. You may find work but I would do some checking before you make a move. Everyones watching the auto makers and what's going to happen. Cause the Governor hasn't talked about lowering Taxes just wants to raise them on Businesses. so company's are leaving for states with a low Business Tax. and like other people have said about closing up shop cause of the Unions, will kill a Business. Good luck

Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 35,553,790 times
If you are not stuck on the Detroit area, look to the West side of the State. I know GR and Ludington have some places that do Machinist work. Great Lakes Castings in Ludington is still going strong and if I remember right, I read in the paper they are actually growing. Good Luck!!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 19,192 times
We are from Ontario, and travel through Detroit alot. I love big cities. If you have not been there since 1979, there are MAJOR changes. We moved to Windsor in 1986 and have traveled through every year many time. Make sure you have great shocks on your car! I-75 is AWEFUL. They have construction all the time and I really don't know what they are doing, cause the road is SO bad! Once you hit Sagniaw going North, it is ok. Going toward Ohio.....it is BAD! I would dread driving a motorbike or small car! The holes in the road both ways are SCAREY! If you are going to start a business, I would suggest an car care clinic!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:44 PM

7,341 posts, read 10,071,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
Hello all,
I was born and raised in the Detroit area, left in 1978 to join the Navy, and came to San Diego when my service was done. Bad mistake.
Now, after living in San Diego for 29 years, I am sick of the rat race and the really high housing prices here. I will never be able to own a house here and really do not like the idea of being at the mercy of the greedy cheap landlords here. Only about 8 percent of the population can afford to buy here and you need to make something like $120,000 a year to qualify for a home here. Presently, a 1 bdrm condo goes for about $400,000 and the jobs here don't pay enough.
So, I am seriously thinking about moving back to Mich. where the housing is affordable and the people are real.
I have about 10 years exp. as a machinist in San Diego, presently working in the aerospace industry. The only thing keeping me in San Diego is my job. I'm certain I can find a decent job up there but I think I would have to move up there first.
I thought I would touch bases with people who live in Mich. to see what it's like there now, since I haven't been there since '79 and I don't know anyone there anymore.
If anyone has the idea of moving to California to get out of the snow, etc..., I would advise against it.
Things have changed more than you can imagine, but a lot of the changes are good. Right now the economy is barely starting to register a pulse, but there are some jobs out there. WAY more than a couple of years ago, that's for sure. Have you been using craigslist.org, Michigan Works! or other search sites to look for jobs? Those housing prices you cite in San Diego are outrageous. Right now Michiganders are just about ready to exchange their houses for a shopping cart full of potatoes.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM

13 posts, read 46,949 times
Default Post your resume on Michigan Works...

"I have about 10 years exp. as a machinist in San Diego, presently working in the aerospace industry. The only thing keeping me in San Diego is my job. I'm certain I can find a decent job up there but I think I would have to move up there first."

I would recommend you post your resume on the Michigan Works site. www.michworks.org It's pretty user friendly and I would think someone with a specific workset/skills like yours might have good luck finding employers this way. I know the Lower Peninsula economy has been suffering from job losses in the auto industry, home foreclosures, and mortgage delinquencies, so you might want to get something lined up before you make the move. The U.P. has benefited from tourism, mining and logging recently so you may be more likely to find something up this way. I've used the Michigan Works site before though and it's been helpful. Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM

447 posts, read 1,138,974 times
Several of the manufacturing companies in the Holland area growing and a one-bedroom condo can be had for less than $200,000 in some cases.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM

282 posts, read 1,094,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
Hello all,
I REALLY don't want to burst your bubble, but unless you have a pension don't come back here. It's dead. My parents told me that back in the 80's when I came back. I've lived in 2 other states since but I'm stuck here now to deal with my dead parents legal affairs. This state has gone to crap.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
Default Colorado

Ron,

We moved to Colorado to get away from the California dream and have not looked back at that decision. We lived near the beach in San Clemente and I worked for a company in San Diego. We just sold the house, packed the car and truck with the kids and dog and off we went, of course it was not that simple but it was nearly like that!
I took a year off to get it all out of my system and then went to work for the company I now own in Colorado Springs, in the same industry dealing with the same companies and basically the same people in the manufacturing industry, we fabricate tooling for the high tech industries such as HP, Intel etc. around the globe.
We visit family there once or twice a year and each trip there, there seems to be more people!
Best of luck to you and your decision.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,430 times
My husband was born and raised in Detroit. I am a GA girl. We just moved from the Detroit area after living there for 6 years. The job market and the housing market are not the greatest. We moved back to GA. Now there is a military base (Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins GA) close by and they are looking for aerospace machinists. The cost of living is low and this area is growing. New and reasonable construction on new homes are booming. Good luck in finding a new place to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or