Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM

178 posts, read 701,770 times

Advertisements

People want to pay off their existing loan/mortgage and then get an extra $10-$20k to start over elsewhere. This sounds good on paper....except SO MANY PEOPLE ARE SELLING RIGHT NOW!

The supply far exceeds the demand and it serves people right who paid too much a few years ago for their MI homes when the market was booming. No industry booms forever...duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM

112 posts, read 348,412 times
When was MI's housing market booming? I must have missed it.

I would like to get what I paid (TO BUILD MY HOUSE MYSELF) 6 years ago. But I will not only lose money, I will lose all my labor as well. You would have to pay a builder well over $200K to build my house but I have been told to expect (if I'm lucky $130K). Houses here are not overpriced when you can't even have all the material dropped in a pile on your lot for what the house will be worth finished.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM

168 posts, read 694,839 times
Yeah, I can't even sell my house for $10,000 less that what is cost to build it 4 years ago. Houses are sitting on the market for years and years because there are a lot more houses for sale than there are buyers. Statements like the one your posted make you sound very ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme285 View Post
People wonder why houses are not selling...mostly is because people who are selling their houeses what quadruple (plus) of what they paid for it!!

Prices of houses got so far out of hand and the sellers are wondering, "Gee, why can't I sell my house"!!

That is partly of why you see houses just sit on the market for years and years!!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 PM

136 posts, read 482,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1234 View Post
...I would like to get what I paid (TO BUILD MY HOUSE MYSELF) 6 years ago. But I will not only lose money, I will lose all my labor as well. ...
Of course you can! My tax assessor swears my house is worth $80,000 more than it cost me to build. That's only 4 times more than I can gross working on other people's homes .

Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
What you may not realize is that some of these houses have been on the market for 2 or 3 years. The asking price may not have changed but you can very easily haggle the owner down to a closeout price. My neighbor, 2 doors down, put his place on the market for $100,000. He turned down an offer for $85K, didn't get another nibble for two years, and finally unloaded it last spring for $20,000. That's what I said. For this area that is typical, since the boom went bust.

About 4 years ago, houses were selling insanely around here -- a realtor friend of mine said that in our county properties were staying on the market an average of 5 days. You could ask any crazy price for a place and get it without a fight. Yeah, there was a housing boom here once.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 23,863 times
Default We will survive

If people think homes are over priced let me tell you my experences from trying to sell our home. Currently we have our home listed $20,000 less that it should have sold 2 years ago. At that time our home may have been over valued but If people think I am going to give it away they have another time coming. Also last Sunday we had a open house and not a single person showed up. I am hoping to sell but if we don't we will survive.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:22 AM

133 posts, read 357,529 times
location,location,location.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 AM

168 posts, read 841,056 times
"mostly is because people who are selling their houeses what quadruple (plus) of what they paid for it!!"..............that is a ridiculous statement.

Please provide the factual statistics that show the majority of houses on the market were purchased for 1/4 of their asking selling price. Gotta love the internet's ability to let every misinformed, uneducated person have a public voice.

That aside,.....houses are moving,....and many are priced too high. The market is not being set by buyers,....but by sellers who simply cannot lower the price. Not everyone can afford to sell the house they paid 250K for 3 years ago, for 150K.
Simple math. So this house will sit at the lowest price the owner can afford to sell at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan