Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

LANSING, Mich., Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Half of Michigan voters oppose legalizing marijuana for general use, a poll released Saturday indicated.

Most have made up their minds on the issue, the Detroit Free Press-WXYZ-TV poll found. Only 5 percent of respondents said they are undecided, while 45 percent support legal pot.

Read more: Half of Michigan voters oppose legal pot - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I'm surprised it's not higher (in opposition). I never smoked pot and don't have any family or acquaintances that do. The few people that I've known that have were "out there" to put it politely, and that was enough to convince me I wasn't interested.

One of the arguments that I hear from those that are in favor of legalization say that marijuana use doesn't increase crime, but police quite often say they've found marijuana on criminals or in their car.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Marijuana being illegal is probably one of the dumbest things our government continues to support. Anyone with half a brain knows that the only reason marijuana is still illegal is because of the billions of dollars the pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco lobbyists throw at the the FEDs to KEEP it illegal. College kids drink themselves to death EVERY week in the USA but they can still get alcohol legally everywhere. If marijuana was legalized, alcohol sales would fall nationwide. Many folks would quit drinking or drink VERY little if pot was legalized. Pharmaceutical sales would plummet as well. Strange thing is, is that these common sense scenarios are NEVER mentioned in mainstream media.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,763 times
If pot were legalized under state law, but still illegal under federal law, would that mean that state police, courts, and jails would no longer be used to enforce the ban? If so, that would take a lot of pressure off of state resources. I presume the state law could be written in a way that still allowed localities to outlaw it if they chose and were willing to accept the burden of enforcement.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
That sounds about right. Half the people want it to stay illegal, the other half are using it.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Well, take away the unions and Michigan is pretty much a Mississippi/Texas hybrid.

So that's no surprise.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
The only thing more annoying than marijuana laws might be the people who want it legalized (not that I disagree).

Just think of what could be accomplished if all of the weed smokers put their energy into something productive instead of obsessing over whether pot is legal or not...

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Well, take away the unions and Michigan is pretty much a Mississippi/Texas hybrid.

So that's no surprise.
Mississippi/Texas? Michigan is nothing like those states. Do you think Jennifer Granholm would have ever been elected in either of those states? Nope. Michigan is more liberal than you give it credit for. And we have the scars to prove it.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Mississippi/Texas? Michigan is nothing like those states. Do you think Jennifer Granholm would have ever been elected in either of those states? Nope. Michigan is more liberal than you give it credit for. And we have the scars to prove it.

While I dont think Michigan is like Mississippi or Texas, I do agree with the poster that in general Michigan is quite socially conservative. The only reason democrats have had an edge in this state is the union vote. Look at recent histroy, gay marriage ban passed by a whopping 70% in the very same election in which the state supported John Kerry for president. Michigan is an odd duck politically, supporting democrats because of unions while opposing most everything they stand for. Liberals are often frustrated by this state, they think were on thier side but when something like the gay marriage ban comes up they toss thier hands in the air in frustration. We've had attempts to limit hunting rights on our ballot as well (bear baiting ban), another liberal darling cause and that went down in flames as well. Gun ownership and hunting are abslutely huge here, everyone I know has guns in thier home. Support for the second amendment could not be stronger and that is definatly not a liberal stance. In most truly liberal places you see people driving little gas sipper cars, eating tofu and putting coexist bumber stickers on the back of thier subarus. Michigan is more about big pickups and SUVs, deer hunting etc. Most of those union auto workers are big hunters, drive the big cars and they tend to despise the welfare programs that the democrats they voted for put in place. This state is not even solid dem anyway, we are always considered a swing state in play. Look who our govenor is, and there is a good chance we will go red this election cycle. I acknowledge we lean democrat, but this is more of a "blue dog" democrat state not a Massachusetts liberal type state. True liberalism does not do well here, so the dems rely on thier big union base alone.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Michigan, outside of a few places (Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Detroit, Lansing), is pretty socially conservative. Some places (GR suburbs, Ottawa County, Allegan County minus Saugatuck) are VERY Christian and socially conservative. Hudsonville, for example, could easily be a Mississippi town.

Personally, I support legalizing marijuana. Why is it illegal, anyway? Legalizing it would put the drug dealers out of business and lower the crime rate, just as it has done in parts of Canada and Europe.

And no, I don't smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan