Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Flint in about 2 months...I've read a few posts of the positives of living in Flint and would like to hear your positive story...

I am interested in local community theatre and community based nonprofit organizations, so information in this regard will also be helpful...

I am not interested in the downside as every place has negatives...

I know there are positives or people wouldn't be living there!
So, lets hear it...

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM

336 posts, read 908,462 times
It's not a story per se, but being involved with the Flint City Derby Girls is the best experience I've ever had. (Outside of meeting my husband, birth of my kids, etc.)

They've been around since 07, but have really come into their own in the last year. This season is shaping up to be the best yet.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
It's not a story per se, but being involved with the Flint City Derby Girls is the best experience I've ever had. (Outside of meeting my husband, birth of my kids, etc.)

They've been around since 07, but have really come into their own in the last year. This season is shaping up to be the best yet.
That is Very Cool! I'll have to come check it out!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 PM

336 posts, read 908,462 times
Also, the revitalization of downtown has been great! I loved living down there before I got married, and that was before all the changes started. I'd really love to see it get to the point where a lot of the necessary services (and some frills) were within walking distance. If they could get a grocery store that could compete with the chains, that'd be great. I'd love to see the Barnes and Noble expand so it's more than a college bookstore. Perhaps get a Redbox or something. The movie theatre's too far to walk to, but there is one you could get to on the bus fairly easily. There's already a post office, several restaurants, and bars. When you get here, go to The Lunch Studio on Thursday and order the cheesy potato soup, it's woooonderful. Also, you have to go to The Torch and get a Torch Burger. There's a lot of little things like that which are uniquely Flint. Kogel Vienna's, Halo Burger, Faygo, Big John's, Angelo's. I know there's more, I just can't think of them right this second.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
There is a LOT of good..proud people in Flint. I used to work in Flints north side...and even though it was mostly poverty, I met a lot of truly good people. I still love going to Flint, and will continue going without any fear.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM

27 posts, read 109,729 times
My family has lived in the Flint area for several generations. I've lived in the Lansing area for the past 17 years, but I still have a lot of fond memories of Flint. I love the Miller/Hammerburg area, and all the darling older houses in that neighborhood by the golf course (my mom grew up there, and my aunt still lives there). I used to love driving by the beautiful mansions on Parkside Drive!

When I was a teenager, I used to go to punk shows at the Capitol or the Union Local downtown. (Do they still have those?!) We used to run all over downtown at night -- which in retrospect I can't believe our parents let us do! -- but nothing ever happened.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks Tricia! I've eaten at Big John's yum! I've been researching the neighborhoods in Flint. Walk Score's website is helpful to pinpoint neighborhoods with high walk-ability, however it's more helpful to hear from people who actually live in and around Flint to get that personal feel for the neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Also, the revitalization of downtown has been great! I loved living down there before I got married, and that was before all the changes started. I'd really love to see it get to the point where a lot of the necessary services (and some frills) were within walking distance. If they could get a grocery store that could compete with the chains, that'd be great. I'd love to see the Barnes and Noble expand so it's more than a college bookstore. Perhaps get a Redbox or something. The movie theatre's too far to walk to, but there is one you could get to on the bus fairly easily. There's already a post office, several restaurants, and bars. When you get here, go to The Lunch Studio on Thursday and order the cheesy potato soup, it's woooonderful. Also, you have to go to The Torch and get a Torch Burger. There's a lot of little things like that which are uniquely Flint. Kogel Vienna's, Halo Burger, Faygo, Big John's, Angelo's. I know there's more, I just can't think of them right this second.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
I drive through it every summer on my way up north and have yet to break down......oh you said stories of living there. Never mind.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
The Whiting in Flint has a lot of good things to go see. I've been there to see some classical music, and its awesome!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I visited Flint back in 2008, and I was pleasantly surprised. The downtown revitalization was in progress then (now the Durant is restored and beautiful). It seemed like a very interesting city. My impression is that Flint has a worse reputation than it deserves. I feel the same way about Youngstown (Ohio), a very similar city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan