Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

724 posts, read 593,229 times

Advertisements

Hi there Michigan,

I am considering a move with my wife from Fort Lauderdale, FL to TC for the purpose of attending Maritime College. I'm 30 years old and I have worked as Crew/mate on private yachts for most of my 20s. Neither my wife or I have degrees but we net about 90,000 a year together with her working on land. I would have to come the summer before classes start and set up a house hold. I would be living off grants, and student loans and my wife would have to secure some kind of full time job to support our day to day. By the time we plan to get there in 2 years or so, we should have 15 to 20,000 dollars to ease the transition, but we would be coming with no clue, no degree, and no jobs. Does anyone have any insight? The reason I picked TC is the lower cost of living relative to Cape Cod, San Francisco, and New York. Another option is Texas A&M Maritime in Galveston and Maine. Any thoughts or Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Not to be a downer, but have you verified the grants and student loans? Netting $90K puts you around $120K gross? I would check out the availability of loans and such if you haven't already.

You can probably find housing starting at $500 month (not sure if it will meet your expectations) probably more realistic to pay close to $1000 a month. MAy be some one else can talk about the current job market.

If it were me, I would cut expenses there in Florida and save another $30K and move to TC with a $40K+ bankroll...

Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM

Good point on that. Most of my income is run through a business so it is mostly written off. Last year I didn't pay any taxes, my wife paid a little. In other words I made much less on paper, all legally, than I actually netted. Still, getting student loans is the least of my worries, I'm more interested in life in town and the availability of entry level jobs. I was there in winter when I was a kid. My parents took me to crystal mt. That's all I know about TC. I agree I should try to come up with more savings, but I want to do this before I'm too old! Ill do my best though to save as much as possible.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM

192 posts, read 494,117 times
Traverse City has a population of around 15,000 add the surrounding areas and it goes up to around 140,000. Main industry of course is tourism in the area. Most of the jobs you will find will be in the health fields or related to tourism.
Traverse City is a beautiful area and it's the Cherry Capital of the WORLD. Along with the fruit orchards there are numerous wineries in the area. Cost of living will be less then in the other places you listed, but just be prepared for experiencing winters once again. Doing a quick look at apartment rents I find a range from $500-$1,000. You will find the major national box stores along with great local shops in the area. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Just an update. I am still considering a move to the area, in hopes my wife can find a decent paying job so we can get through 3 to 4 years of me making minimal money while going to maritime school. Im going to try for some work on the lakes first before school. Just passed exams to get my uscg 100ton captains license and will be looking for work on the Great Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico on rotation. I will be making some trips to the area this spring and summer to check things out. Does anybody know about finding Maritime jobs in the area? Can't wait!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,327 times
You've worked on yachts. Did they have sails? If so, maybe you can work on one of the schooners that take tourists out on daysails, such as the Manitou in TC or Wind Dancer in Grand Haven.

In Sutton's Bay, near TC, the Inland Seas Education Association operates educational programs aboard schooners.

There is also the Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven, which operates the 1812-era replica square topsail sloop Friend's Good Will and the river launch Lindy Lou.

If you want to be a deckhand on freighter, you'll need your merchant mariner credentials, as you probably know already. For more info, check out the USCG Nat'l Maritime Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan