Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 AM

31 posts, read 112,591 times

Advertisements

hey guys, I live in socal rite now and i am thinking about moving to detroit area as soon as i accept the job offer. Well, Im 26 and my job pays me around 85,000 dollars, with that, I also saved up around 80,000 dollars that I could make downpayment with. So wat do you think price range of house I can buy in southeast michigan? like wat part of town I can afford. Ive been reseraching around ann arbor and grand rapids coz i really like the neighborhoodliness and freidnly downtown in stuff so yea, if you got any ideas then throw it in here! Im really excited moving to michigan and see all the beautiful snow haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:36 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,520 times
If you decide on Grand Rapids instead of Detroit you should be sitting great with the down payment and income. The housing market here is slow and you would be able to get a great home depending upon your current liabilities. We would welcome your presence to our part of the snow belt!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 AM

haha thanks alot! i hope "michiganders"(been on this forum forawhile as u can tell) are nice easy goin people too..but from wat ive been hearing that aint much of a problem. i dunno i just fell in love wiht michigan ever since I did a research about this state back in 5th grade haha, can u imagine waiting 10+years for comming to michigan!!! haha i hope it would be as good as i think it woudl be

Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Us Michiganders are nice people. We can't wait to add you to the official Michigander list. I think your gonna love it.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 AM

lol thank you betcha i will. also, what towns in that area are like ann arbor, like downtown and all, but not as big. maybe a mid sized town less than 80,000. i waas thinking about auburn hills, hows that town?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 AM

I'll defer to the eastern michiganders. LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 AM

haha only thing thats scaring me is that i am a lifetime san jose sharks fan and we had a thing with the redwings last playoffs haha i guess i wont be loved so much in the hockey community but hey i can always "pretend" to be redwings fan rite haha

Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchinrules88 View Post
haha only thing thats scaring me is that i am a lifetime san jose sharks fan and we had a thing with the redwings last playoffs haha i guess i wont be loved so much in the hockey community but hey i can always "pretend" to be redwings fan rite haha
LOL, not now!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
Where is your job offer at? Ann Arbor is about 35 miles west of Detroit. Grand Rapids would be too far to commute every day. Auburn Hills is nice -- it's the home of Chrysler headquarters, the Palace (where the Pistons play -- you might even get a glimse of Kid Rock there).

Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 902,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchinrules88 View Post
lol thank you betcha i will. also, what towns in that area are like ann arbor, like downtown and all, but not as big. maybe a mid sized town less than 80,000. i waas thinking about auburn hills, hows that town?
You should factor in where you will be working. Auburn Hills and Clarkston is off of I-75 so easy access to just about everything. Both are affordable areas with newer homes available. Homes are well spaced, lots of trees, small quaint downtowns with restaurants and coffee shops with outdoor seating. It is a personal preference as to how much you want to pay for a home. With that down payment and your salary, you could probably go up to $350k if you wanted to. You can get a beautiful home for that price, possibly around 3000sf., especially with the market right now. But you don't have to go that big or expensive if it is just going to be you.

I live in the area and can provide you with any more info if you want it. Feel free to send me a direct message with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan