Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

A lot of people who win big in the lottery have had their lives destroyed by it. It's like they were living on the edge before, but a lack of money prevented them from falling off that edge, I suppose. Once they get a windfall of cash, they go right off the deep end. Does anyone remember the guy in West Virginia who won millions in the lottery maybe ten years ago? Before he won, he was a happily married, blue collar, churchgoing guy with a nice family. After he won, all the demons came out and he was shot outside a strip club, his granddaughter OD'd and died, and everything else in his life just fell apart. I think the pressure and the greed of sudden wealth is too much for most people.

As far as this woman that they found dead of an OD in Ecorse, I hate to think how much of that lottery money was blown on drugs, both for herself and probably for her "friends". She could have used it to get a college education and turn her life around. Very, very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM

214 posts, read 673,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
A lot of people who win big in the lottery have had their lives destroyed by it. It's like they were living on the edge before, but a lack of money prevented them from falling off that edge, I suppose. Once they get a windfall of cash, they go right off the deep end. Does anyone remember the guy in West Virginia who won millions in the lottery maybe ten years ago? Before he won, he was a happily married, blue collar, churchgoing guy with a nice family. After he won, all the demons came out and he was shot outside a strip club, his granddaughter OD'd and died, and everything else in his life just fell apart. I think the pressure and the greed of sudden wealth is too much for most people.

As far as this woman that they found dead of an OD in Ecorse, I hate to think how much of that lottery money was blown on drugs, both for herself and probably for her "friends". She could have used it to get a college education and turn her life around. Very, very sad.
The guy was already a multi-millionaire from real estate development.

But you are correct that someone stole $250k in a briefcase from him outside of a strip club, and his grand-daughter did overdose on drugs.

But the grand-daughter thing would have happened sooner or later, and he probably wouldn't have had a quarter-mil in a briefcase outside a strip club.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Okay, thanks for correcting me, it's been a while and I had forgotten the exact details. I do know, though, that in interviews after all these bad things began happening that he did blame it on the money.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
yea I remember when he distinctively said that he wish he would have never won the lottery.

I also remember a lady winning the lottery not once but twice. She gambled it all away and now collecting Social Security and food stamps.

Too much money can destroy you if youre not responsible.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 AM

214 posts, read 673,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
yea I remember when he distinctively said that he wish he would have never won the lottery.

I also remember a lady winning the lottery not once but twice. She gambled it all away and now collecting Social Security and food stamps.

Too much money can destroy you if youre not responsible.
Well, in my experience, it's all money management. That's why you have the old couple down the block who have never made more than $20k per year retiring as millionaires, and the family who makes $100k+ per year retiring as paupers.

A sudden influx of cash doesn't make you better with money, nor does a high income. There's a reason people from sea to shining sea both North and South understand the term $30k millionaire.

Your income is but one way to earn. Most people don't understand that. It's why most professional athletes are broke within 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: