Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

which one is Michigan again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
We're the one with 5 1/2 times more water than you have .

Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The one that you can map using your hand!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieJD View Post
I grew up in Michigan. First in Detroit and then moved to SW Michigan. The people that I've had in my life from there are arrogant, look down on the less affluent, non-helpful and don't want to seem to associate with the less fortunate. I was bullied, abused and starved. Couldn't find help from the police or the schools. These are the feelings that I get from living there.

The property prices are set for the people who make over $250,000.00 a year in the rural areas. One reason I left Michigan was so that I could have a little land without having to pay over 1 million.

Where I live now, the people are friendly, helpful and want to be in a community. I've even bought property (rural) 40 acres for less than $25,000.00 (4 bedroom - 2 bath home with a pole barn) and 4 acres (3 bedroom 2 bath home with 3 outbuildings) in the Chippewa National Forest for less than $70,000.00. Where in Michigan can you find that?

I miss my family there and wish they could all move to Minnesota.

Susie
Prices like that are easy to find in Michigan, but not in the areas you say you lived. Metro Detroit is obviously alot more affluent and home/land values are much higher there than the rest of Mi. SW mi shouldnt be as bad, but if your near GR or extreme SW mi then you will again find higher prices because of more affluent areas. Parts of SW mi are almost part of the Chicago area, and prices can reflect that. Im sure there are towns down that way where there are Chicago commuters. If you go to any area north of I69 in Mi you will find much cheaper home and land values. You can find deals like you described in your post easily in much of northeastern Mi for sure. If you look at Mn Im sure you will find the Minneapolis area has similar issues that you found in metro Detroit. High prices and a few snooty people. Mn and Mi really are not that different of states, both are split north and south between agriculture and northwoods, both are dominated by one large metro area and both share a simlar culture. I think the differences you are noticing are between built up areas like metro Detroit, and the rural northwoods where you are now. If you had moved from Detroit to Indian River Michigan you would be feeling the same relief from high real estate prices and snobby people that you are seeing in northwoods MN. Its too bad that metro Detroit ruined your whole view of Michigan, and I can understand how that could happen. That part of Mi is really a different world.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Beet farmers (not The Beat Farmers).

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
We have only lived in MI for 6 months (originally from FL though we have lived in a few other states as well). I don't think I had any stereotypes of MI natives before I came here.

I will say though I have sadly created some stereotypes from first impressions since we have been here. I have come to feel that the majority of MI natives I ahve met do not come across as very welcoming to strangers. Very static and monotone and not really a big personality or a sense of humor. It seems like it takes people here a while to get to know you and then they warm up to you and then they are super nice. When I meet mothers and fathers from my kids' classes they seem to come across as sad or mad at something. Maybe I am just used to loud and vibrant, but those are two words I don't think I would ever use to describe any of the people I have met on first impression.

That said, I have joined a game group with some ladies in my neighborhood and they are the nicest, friendliest, funniest women. It seems like there is a guard that has to be let down first before the wild and crazy MI comes out to play.

Also, it seems like people don't take care of their cars here. I don;t know if it is because it is a No Fault state or because the snow just makes a mess all the time, but I've noticed some jacked up vehicles (and not old ones either). I can't find a full service car wash here to save my life. In AZ and FL they had full service car washes on every corner. You pay $20 and they wash, dry, and vaccuum your car. My hubby manages a car dealership and he says he has never seen such messy cars. When I was taking my daughter to her riding lessons in Romulus, there was a huge truck caked in mud from roof to tires with a for sale sign on it. I would think the least you would do to sell your car is hose it down, lol.

Oh, and one more things....I learned the hard way that a "Party Store" is NOT a place you find kids birthday party favors!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Oh, and one more things....I learned the hard way that a "Party Store" is NOT a place you find kids birthday party favors!
Ha! I didn't know that "party stores" didn't mean "corner convenience store/liquor store" everywhere.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Ha! I didn't know that "party stores" didn't mean "corner convenience store/liquor store" everywhere.
Hahaha. Nope, In other states they actually have Party stores like Party Supermarket that sell party goods. I was looking the other day for one and saw a store called "Party Store". When I walked in and saw liquor everywhere I was so caught off guard the cashier asked if he could help me. I said "I'm assuming you don't sell kids balloons here?" He laughed and said "No, we sell stuff for a different kind of party."

Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
$20?! I've gotten mad that most of the drive-thru car washes are up to $3.75 now for a car! There used to be a time when it was $2 for cars and $3 dollars for trucks and vans. And if you wanted to vacuum your car, it was like 75 cents for 2 minutes on the other side of the lot. I don't know what it is now...I just keep putting in quarters and it stays on so meh.

Also I think because of our crazy whether, people have learned to not wash their car unless their a week of sunshine ahead. At least that's what I do. I think If I lived some place as sunny as AZ, I'd probably wash my car more often.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Also I think because of our crazy whether, people have learned to not wash their car unless their a week of sunshine ahead. At least that's what I do. I think If I lived some place as sunny as AZ, I'd probably wash my car more often.
You're supposed to wash them.... I thought that is what rain was for, silly me.

Actually it depends on the vehicle for me. Some of them I am downright OCD about keeping them washed and polished... other ones might see a hose once every 4 or 5 year if the mood strikes me. Those are usually my woods beater vehicles. You know the type, that POS that goes by, looking like a body panel just may fly off.

My daily driver though is clean, always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan