Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,744 times

Advertisements

Although I have enjoyed reading the Michigan forums for quite some time now, I only registered this evening in order to reply to this post concerning stereotypes of people from Michigan before meeting them. I had no preconceived notion of the type of people they were prior to my first trip to Michigan, however, in the 20 + years I have been visitng Michigan I can honestly say (from the bottom of my heart and intellect) that I have never met nicer people.

That being said, maybe it's because of where I stay when I arrive (Western Michigan along the lake) but even still, everyone I meet along the way and while I am there just could not be more pleasant. These people are not part of the tourist industry so they are not beholding to me for their livlihood but rather just regular people from every walk of life imaginable. Women. men, children, gas station attendants, grocery store clerks/cashiers, farm stand employees; hospital personnel (yeah, I have kids).

Honestly, I hope my view never changes as I plan on moving to Michigan in the near future and I can promise you that it won't be for the weather...but I will manage somehow to embrace that as well.

So far I can honestly say that I really love Michigan and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM

428 posts, read 900,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeInChicago View Post
Although I have enjoyed reading the Michigan forums for quite some time now, I only registered this evening in order to reply to this post concerning stereotypes of people from Michigan before meeting them. I had no preconceived notion of the type of people they were prior to my first trip to Michigan, however, in the 20 + years I have been visitng Michigan I can honestly say (from the bottom of my heart and intellect) that I have never met nicer people.

That being said, maybe it's because of where I stay when I arrive (Western Michigan along the lake) but even still, everyone I meet along the way and while I am there just could not be more pleasant. These people are not part of the tourist industry so they are not beholding to me for their livlihood but rather just regular people from every walk of life imaginable. Women. men, children, gas station attendants, grocery store clerks/cashiers, farm stand employees; hospital personnel (yeah, I have kids).

Honestly, I hope my view never changes as I plan on moving to Michigan in the near future and I can promise you that it won't be for the weather...but I will manage somehow to embrace that as well.

So far I can honestly say that I really love Michigan and its people.

Being from the side of the state you visit I wish everyone is as nice as you are .. Since there are those that visit from your state that arent very nice when they visit. are kinda rude, and seem like they are better than us. I have to say its a nice break when Oct comes around and there not so many around.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
We in Michigan call them FIBs. This is a family website, so I cannot define the term on here.

People in western MI are nicer than those in metro Detroit, for the most part. Detroiters, though not typically friendly, are not nearly as rude as Torontonians, from my experience. They may be the rudest in North America.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:54 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Being from the side of the state you visit I wish everyone is as nice as you are .. Since there are those that visit from your state that arent very nice when they visit. are kinda rude, and seem like they are better than us. I have to say its a nice break when Oct comes around and there not so many around.
Well, that's nice.... someone from the Chicago area says nice things about our state, and you respond by ripping on Chicago people.

I mean... you couldn't come up with anything nice to say in response? Such as... "wow, thank you so much, I'm glad you like it here!"

It's not that hard. Even if you have met rude Chicago people, there was no reason to bring it up in response to such a nice, thoughtful post.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
I am in Michigan's tourist belt and many visitors do indeed believe they own the place, simply because they are often more prosperous than the locals. In the summertime they enjoy parading their wealth, that's part of the fun of being on vacation. Some seem to think that being on vacation means "no rules", act as you please, drive as you please, park as you please.
Overheard in a supermarket (paraphrasing) "When doing business in these hicktowns you must take charge".
A guy exiting a market to a small expensive sports car (mis-parked) taunted me and made kicking motions for some reason.
This is not everybody of course, but that is a reality of tourism and people you have to deal with.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Default To the good people of Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
This is certainly off topic but I want to apologize for the side of the state which you reference in your reply to AwakeInChicago; I was born and raised in Illinois/Chicago and feel comfortable in asking your forgiveness.

I am certainly not a world traveler by any means but some years ago I lived on a small island in Greece and they were some of the kindest and most warm hearted people I had ever met...outside of the family I grew up with and around (which were the many numbered relatives of my parents who were born and raised in Kentucky and Tennessee). However, to say I experienced culture shock is an understatement.

Imagine my surprise to discover that my new Greek in-laws were so very akin to my southern relatives...our roots so similar in many small town ways; food (not to be confused with ethnic seasonings or dishes), work ethic, simple and down to earth attitudes and lifestyles, and the milk of human kindness.

Long story longer...we're adults now and are certainly aware that there are fine examples of human beings from every country, state, regional area, ethnicity, color, and religious or political affiliation (or lack thereof). And then there are the very, very poor examples of our humanity, on display on a regular basis everywhere and sometimes nowhere.

Point being, these very same people who behave poorly when visiting your beautiful state will, no doubt, behave poorly wherever they may go or in some cases, not go. They are likely the same visitors who treat people in their home towns disrespectfully as well. We all have free will and sometimes we make bad choices and we hurt our fellow man not thinking about how our behavior affects them.

I too have worked in the hospitality industry (Thoroughbred Racing) and I cannot say that I ever met a bad customer or racing fan. Sometimes very enthusiastic, however joyful to me nontheless.

To all the people of Michigan, I salute you (each and every one of you) for your backbone, steadfast tolerance, work ethic, and YOUR milk of human kindness to all of the people who are blessed to have visited your state and enjoyed ALL that Michigan has to offer, but mostly its people

Best regards to each of you!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This is certainly off topic but I want to apologize for the side of the state which you reference in your reply to AwakeInChicago; I was born and raised in Illinois/Chicago and feel comfortable in asking your forgiveness.

I am certainly not a world traveler by any means but some years ago I lived on a small island in Greece and they were some of the kindest and most warm hearted people I had ever met...outside of the family I grew up with and around (which were the many numbered relatives of my parents who were born and raised in Kentucky and Tennessee). However, to say I experienced culture shock is an understatement.

Imagine my surprise to discover that my new Greek in-laws were so very akin to my southern relatives...our roots so similar in many small town ways; food (not to be confused with ethnic seasonings or dishes), work ethic, simple and down to earth attitudes and lifestyles, and the milk of human kindness.

Long story longer...we're adults now and are certainly aware that there are fine examples of human beings from every country, state, regional area, ethnicity, color, and religious or political affiliation (or lack thereof). And then there are the very, very poor examples of our humanity, on display on a regular basis everywhere and sometimes nowhere.

Point being, these very same people who behave poorly when visiting your beautiful state will, no doubt, behave poorly wherever they may go or in some cases, not go. They are likely the same visitors who treat people in their home towns disrespectfully as well. We all have free will and sometimes we make bad choices and we hurt our fellow man not thinking about how our behavior affects them.

I too have worked in the hospitality industry (Thoroughbred Racing) and I cannot say that I ever met a bad customer or racing fan. Sometimes very enthusiastic, however joyful to me nontheless.

To all the people of Michigan, I salute you (each and every one of you) for your backbone, steadfast tolerance, work ethic, and YOUR milk of human kindness to all of the people who are blessed to have visited your state and enjoyed ALL that Michigan has to offer, but mostly its people

Best regards to each of you!
As a side note, I ahve always heard that people in Greece are incredibly nice and very hospitable. Greece and Turkey are the 2 places I wouldove to visit.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
which one is Michigan again?
You know the one that really DOES look like a mitten. Not that hole across the lake from us filled with cheese heads who CLAIM their state looks like a mitten.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
As a non-Michigander, I used to associate Detroit and cars with Michigan- I really didn't know much else about it at all, other than the fact that when I was around six or seven, I would look on the back of cereal boxes in the store (as you will, lol), and it would say "Battle Creek, MI" with a shadow picture of a ship-I associated that with Michigan, as well- but when I moved there a few years ago, lived downstate as well as up North, well- let's just say that the entire state had me hook, line, and sinker- I loved it to death, and adopted it as my own-my husband is a Michigander, and we are working hard to get back there, I truly miss it. Work for less there? Take a cut in pay for the privilege? You betcha...and that would be a deal as far as we're concerned!

Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Did I mention that some of the kindest people I've met in my life were when I was there? People who when your car was stuck in the snow (I won't go into how many times that happened to me, having never driven in the snow in my life prior to moving there, haha), would come out of there houses or pull over just to help you out. Sigh. Ok, I'm not posting anymore because it's making me homesick-

Think I'll go to youtube and watch a Gordon Lightfoot video, the Edmund Fitzgerald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan