U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM

38 posts, read 132,877 times

Advertisements

Hello,

OK...what do your recommend. I love the idea of being on a lake but my cousin who is in Midland says it's gotten very noisy and crowded during the summer. She also thinks we would not like it during the winter. We're two middle aged gals and we're going to be living together.

I have been in Texas (big D) for the last 25 years. I have really never grown to like Dallas one little bit. I do like the sun and know there will be much less of that as I lived in Gig Harbor WA for a short time. I love the woods and water but also peace and quiet.

My budget is pretty much entry level home with waterfront....even that's pushing it a bit.

Any opinions?

What is the area of the lake like around Frances Shores Avenue? Is that an active jet ski boat area? How is that spot for swimming? It looks pretty narrow there, but the house I'm considering is set fairly far back from the water.

Also I have heard there are legal problems regarding the release of water into the reservoir. For some reason a Federal entity is not releasing enough water from somewhere and it is messing with the level of the lake....so a couple summers ago boats were running aground etc. I researched this a little in February, does anyone have accurate info as to all this? There was something about the bottom of the lake being owned by the county?

It does seem to have an active association and I will contact the people in the know before I make any moves. I just thought someone here might know what's going on.

Thanks so much for anyone who got this far!!
Elyse33

Last edited by Elyse33; 03-20-2012 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: do I need one?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,391 times
Hi, I just found this site doing an internet search, and I had to respond.
I grew up in Midland and we had a cottage on wixom lake. 20 years ago, my parents repurchased their first home and rebuilt it (on SANFORD LAKE). They are on Lakeview Drive, so it is on the side of the lake just off us10 & M30. Frances Shores is a very nice area, there are parts of it that are in coves that wouldn't even have any noise. There are neighborhoods off west river road that are called 1st and 2nd fill, that are just cuts off the main lake, a no wake zone. The only bad part of Sanford lake is farther down the road in Edenville (Telegraph or Genesee streets)

I don't know why you wouldn't like it in winter. You are so close to us10, and ten minutes from Midland mall, walmart, meijers. If you lived in Frances Shores, you are really close to Sanford Lake Bar and Grill. Great place to eat real walleye, sing kareoke, or play pool (I play on a pool league there in the winter) Take it from another middle aged gal, you will find friends easily here.

Sanford is great for swimming. The side my parents are on has more of a sandy walkout, compared to the other side which has more of a steep drop off in a lot of places. We can play water volleyball and the floor isn't mucky. The only thing you have to deal with is the weeds, as they have a weed program that kills it & cuts it, so you have to rake it up, but what is also nice is that it is great to compost, and you can pump the water from the lake to water your lawn and garden. Another good thing is that you get city water too!

Do NOT listen to people saying stuff about the lake dropping all of the time. They had to drop the levels of the lake because they found a very serious fault in the dam & were so worried they gave only a 3 day notice. There are people from Detroit that have cottages there, so they didn't find out in time. My parents helped out a lot of people that weekend. But now you know they fixed the dam, so that won't happen again. All homeowners are included in all the decisions, they do have a weed problem, so they are always coming up with new ways to try to get rid of the weeds. It is a manmade lake, and they flooded the thing when it was made, so once in a while a stump will pop up and hurt your boat prop or something, but nothing outrageous.

My parents live on the main lake, and during the week it is totally quiet. It is so beautiful and peaceful. And they are on the main part. On the weekends, you have some boats, but really it isn't that bad. They don't come close to the shore. Wixom lake is way worse than Sanford. I love to go to my parents house, if you have a choice, go for it, I swear you won't regret it. If I were you, I would definitely buy on Sanford Lake. Especially now, when property values have gone down. Ten years ago, you people were paying double what they are paying now. Real estate is coming back, so you really will gain property value quickly, better than Midland.

Good luck with your search, hope I helped
dj
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan