Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times

Advertisements

I have 5 young boys, I like snow as I live in northern wisconsin. My wife homeschools the kids, and I need a productive garden and understand the steps to take in a northern climate. My kids play baseball, t ball, basket ball and spend a ton of time at a library. My wife and I both have bachelors degrees and like a little time out but do not need much, were basically homebodies with the kids as the main focus. What we do not like is kids on meth,loser teenagers, crime as in little petty crime. I am a marine corps veteran and I likes my law and order. I like to talk to my neighbors and meet people but I do not rely on it and do not need it but I am friendly and accomodating. I expect and accept that every9one is not like me but if they are decent people I am very accepting and caring about them and would do anything for a friend within reason. I like laid back people that do not force their religious opinions on me and accept that they believe what they believe and I believe what I believe. I enjoy being snowed in, I find it cozy and romantic hence the 5 boys!!!!! I have witnessed a deteriorization of the area I am currently in am surching for "mayberry" or as close to it as I can come. Is MARQUETTE FOR ME????? plus I like value and need to get a bang for my buck

thank you to all who respond and have a great weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 PM

137 posts, read 532,538 times
I'm sure there's LOTSA "Mayberry" towns here in the U.P. but, IMHO, I don't think Marquette is Mayberry-ish. It's a great town, from what I've seen so far. It's pretty and rather clean but, just not Mayberry.....Kinda busy, since it's the "big" town up here. I've not seen any ghetto type areas yet. All-in-all, it's a very nice town!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
I have 5 young boys, I like snow as I live in northern wisconsin. My wife homeschools the kids, and I need a productive garden and understand the steps to take in a northern climate. My kids play baseball, t ball, basket ball and spend a ton of time at a library. My wife and I both have bachelors degrees and like a little time out but do not need much, were basically homebodies with the kids as the main focus. What we do not like is kids on meth,loser teenagers, crime as in little petty crime. I am a marine corps veteran and I likes my law and order. I like to talk to my neighbors and meet people but I do not rely on it and do not need it but I am friendly and accomodating. I expect and accept that every9one is not like me but if they are decent people I am very accepting and caring about them and would do anything for a friend within reason. I like laid back people that do not force their religious opinions on me and accept that they believe what they believe and I believe what I believe. I enjoy being snowed in, I find it cozy and romantic hence the 5 boys!!!!! I have witnessed a deteriorization of the area I am currently in am surching for "mayberry" or as close to it as I can come. Is MARQUETTE FOR ME????? plus I like value and need to get a bang for my buck

Old 09-22-2007, 07:32 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
yes, mqt is very nice and somewhat busy-which is what makes it more attractive to many people including me. Homes cost a bit more in Marquette but they retain they value much more. My wife and I bought our first house in Ihspeming and then found out how much we were doing things in Mqt so when we went to sell in Ish and buy in Mqt we made no money on our house and had a hard time selling. Now we live right in town and do a lot of walking and biking to the things we need to do. We even walk to the Farmers market and buy our fruit. Very nice.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post

From what you wrote, my thoughts are that Marquette may be a little too "big city" for you. You might try a bit further north, such as Skanee or L'Anse. There are plenty of snow days there.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,985 times
Berries, did you find what you are looking for? I am similar in intent and demeanor - we're looking at upper Michigan as well.

Let me know

Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,759 times
Default life in marquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
yes, mqt is very nice and somewhat busy-which is what makes it more attractive to many people including me. Homes cost a bit more in Marquette but they retain they value much more. My wife and I bought our first house in Ihspeming and then found out how much we were doing things in Mqt so when we went to sell in Ish and buy in Mqt we made no money on our house and had a hard time selling. Now we live right in town and do a lot of walking and biking to the things we need to do. We even walk to the Farmers market and buy our fruit. Very nice.
Hi,
I am planing to go to Marquette but I heard that this is a very small city with no jobs much and not a good place to live and work. If you know about MQ, could you pls tell me about the life in Marquette?

Ngoc

Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM

209 posts, read 657,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngocef View Post
Hi,
I am planing to go to Marquette but I heard that this is a very small city with no jobs much and not a good place to live and work. If you know about MQ, could you pls tell me about the life in Marquette?

Ngoc
If i were you i would secure a job first. i dont live in marquette but i have been there quite often. there is a decent amount of traffic there. winters here are long and hard, lots of snow but if you like winter youll be fine.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngocef View Post
Hi,

Ngoc
Ngoc, I don't live in Marquette but I've been there several times. Nice little town but you need to like winter if you live there. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable people to give you specifics.

However, if you use the forum's search feature, you can find several threads pertaining to Marquette. Here are a few to get you started:

Is Marquette really that bad???

Need Marquette MI Information Please

22 yr old couple maybe moving up to Marquette area...whats there to do !?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
The smaller towns in the UP are more mayberry like. Look for populations in the 500 to 2500 range to really get away from it all. If you do that within 30 miles of one of the larger town you get the best of both worlds. I cant believe I just quoted hannah montana

whoa

Old 07-25-2008, 10:14 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
For Berries (if you are still interested): Up toward Big Bay might be better, if you don't mind driving 15 miles into Mqt for errands. There are a lot of families that home school up that way, I believe.

For Nocef: Well, it depends on what you want in a city. I think Marquette is a wonderful place to live and work. There is so much going on and so many beautiful areas right in town. But if you are use to (and like) the life in Chicago, or even Madison, then you probably won't like it. Anyhow, there is a community orchestra, plus there are other musical venues. NMU also has an art gallery; there is also Art on the Rocks every summer. I forgot the name, but there is an outdoor, weekend-long folk concert every summer as well. There are some interesting places to eat (we're not talking big-city quality here, but still good).

If you have kids, I can't say enough good things about the Children's Musuem. One of the best we have been to, or maybe it just has a special place in our hearts, so we think so. The library is phenomonal!!!! (um, sorry about the spelling.) Plus, they often have community events going there. They also have an art gallery. The parks are great, too and there are many small neighborhood parks. The dog race is fun to watch, the fireworks on the 4th are very cool (if you get a good spot to watch them from).

I really don't have too much bad to say about Mqt. I didn't especially enjoy my time there because of where we were living (on campus housing), and I didn't overly like my job. And, unfortunately, liking your job and having friends is a big part of enjoying your time in a place. If I did it all over again, I would choose to live off campus and become more involved with the coop (they have a nice co-op). Oh, overall, the grocery stores are pretty complete, but I did have troubles finding a few things (like oyster mushrooms). And if you like to "shop" you probably won't like Mqt.

As far as the UP goes, Marquette is a verible orgy of work possibilities, but this really isn't saying much, as the U.P. seems like it has the worse job market in the country. It doesn't, but it feels like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan