Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And Indiana is ranked #5
Good thing Rick Snyder is taking note from Mitch Daniels playbook.
Indiana might just help save Michigan
After taking residents and jobs for all these years thats a good way to say thank you.
Once Michigan goes right to work like Indiana it will jump nicely in ranking and bring some of those jobs back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
A) Polling only CEOs about a business climate, and expecting objectivity, is like polling a felon's mother about her son.
B) Consumers create jobs. CEOs manage businesses.
C) You're comparing North Carolina to the city of Detroit?

Every time I hear this about Granholm, nobody ever says specifically what she did wrong or could have done better. It's mostly a blind faith.
OK, compare Charlotte to Detroit, or NC to MI - whatever.

Blind faith? So is the last decade of negative GDP enough for you to show what Jenny did? Yes, Michigan is the ONLY state with negative GDP for the decade. Before that we were 16th, then plummeted to 44th.

News Release: Michigan Goes Full Decade Without GDP Growth [Mackinac Center]

Go ahead, discount the facts and call that site biased too.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The reports or polls I have seen has Michigan in the top 10 and in one case number 2 as the best places to do business or for business opportunities. What was the most recent Forbes ranking? We had a huge jump on some list when they did away with the MBT. Which list was that?
You are probably right, now that we have a Governor that is more business friendly

Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM

95 posts, read 240,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Like it or not, CEOs are the ones that provide jobs. I don't recall many companies moving to Michigan recently, but in Charlotte we have had quite a few move here in the past 3 years - Chiquita being one of the recent large ones.
True, last year Chiquita announced it was bringing 400 jobs to North Carolina (http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsItems/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?newsItemid=2167 - broken link). However, GE just announced this week that they are adding 300 new high value IT and research jobs, 1400 jobs in the Detroit area, and 1600 jobs across the state. Quicken Loans is hiring 300 IT professionals in Detroit. 1700 > 400, and this is just a couple of examples. You must not follow the news out of Michigan very closely.

Furthermore, North Carolina has the nation's fourth highest unemployment rate, at 9.7%. Michgan has the fourteenth highest, at 8.5%. So, it would appear that things are not all that rosy in North Carolina, even compared to Michigan.

Quote:
In 2007, North Carolina was among those states hit hardest by the recession haymaker. The state lost more than 330,000 jobs, doubling the unemployment rate to more than 10 percent, the fourth highest in the nation. In 2009, North Carolina’s gross state product dropped 3.2 percent, the eighth largest decline that year nationwide.
Quote:
Attracting talent to NC is very easy due to the quality of life, not much can be said about Detroit.
So, you are comparing a entire state to a city? Since when did Detroit = the entire state of Michigan?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
OK, compare Charlotte to Detroit, or NC to MI - whatever.

Blind faith? So is the last decade of negative GDP enough for you to show what Jenny did? Yes, Michigan is the ONLY state with negative GDP for the decade. Before that we were 16th, then plummeted to 44th.

News Release: Michigan Goes Full Decade Without GDP Growth [Mackinac Center]

Go ahead, discount the facts and call that site biased too.
How exactly did Jennifer Granholm cause the collapse of the Auto Industry?

You sound just as silly as the dolts in the P&OC forum who blamed the elimination of Greeters at WAl-Mart on Obama.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomRShine View Post
True, last year Chiquita announced it was bringing 400 jobs to North Carolina (http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsItems/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?newsItemid=2167 - broken link). However, GE just announced this week that they are adding 300 new high value IT and research jobs, 1400 jobs in the Detroit area, and 1600 jobs across the state. Quicken Loans is hiring 300 IT professionals in Detroit. 1700 > 400, and this is just a couple of examples. You must not follow the news out of Michigan very closely.
That is good news. How much is due to Snyder making the climate better for business, which was one of my original points? I am asking because I don't know.
No, it is not rosy in NC, but attracting talent to move there is easier. I jumped at the chance to move 3 years ago for a job and have been loving it since - 3 hours to the beach and 2 to the mountains.
Plus NC is going to have Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and New Belgium moving here soon
Charlotte and Asheville have been rated the best cities to live in over the years, and there is good reason for that.
And the DNC will be here soon, which some of you may be checking out.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
This should be a fun thread.

My first thought when viewing the list was that it seemed political. And I'm a conservative. Those bottom five states are the same five that conservatives always mention as being "anti business" due to the union presence, etc.

In reality, though, I think we have a way more business friendly climate than places like Illinois, California, New York, and Massachusetts. Lumping us in with those places was probably more accurate 20 years ago.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
That is good news. How much is due to Snyder making the climate better for business, which was one of my original points? I am asking because I don't know.
No, it is not rosy in NC, but attracting talent to move there is easier. I jumped at the chance to move 3 years ago for a job and have been loving it since - 3 hours to the beach and 2 to the mountains.
Plus NC is going to have Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, and New Belgium moving here soon
Charlotte and Asheville have been rated the best cities to live in over the years, and there is good reason for that.
And the DNC will be here soon, which some of you may be checking out.
The "hippie enclaves" of Asheville and Portland Oregon (not my description).
I have looked at Asheville myself, it received many votes in the ABC "beautiful places" poll we have been talking about. I checked air temperatures last winter and it seems that the jet stream carries a lot of our weather there. Besides my lifestyle requires a big city. But yes, it has a great reputation for liveability. I am somewhat envious.
But I can't credit Snyder or blame Granholm for the auto industry ups and downs. It is bigger than both of them.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Well at least you can't chant "we're number 50! We're number 50!" ... the way I can! (:

Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well at least you can't chant "we're number 50! We're number 50!" ... the way I can! (:
Hmmm, California can't be that bad for business if it has the largest GDP in the country (yeah, more useless facts, I know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan