Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times

Advertisements

Just wondering when I should officially declare that winter has arrived. If it's 9 months long, that would mean October through....June 08, since it's not here yet.

http://woodtv.images.worldnow.com/Images/forecast_510.jpg (broken link)

Actually, I don't like seeing those 80+ degree days in September. Yuck!

(This map will update on here as the weather forecast changes)

Last edited by magellan; 09-18-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
2 nights ago we set record lows here in the UP. The first part of June can be really chilly during the day and downright cold at night. Winter is a solid 8 months up here sometimes longer. It was a nice day though and a damn shame because I have 8 tons of topsoil in my yard that needs to be spread and seeded and I had to work all day. With some outside painting that also needs to be done I will have to make good use of any decent weather left in 2007

Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
2 nights ago we set record lows here in the UP. The first part of June can be really chilly during the day and downright cold at night. Winter is a solid 8 months up here sometimes longer. It was a nice day though and a damn shame because I have 8 tons of topsoil in my yard that needs to be spread and seeded and I had to work all day. With some outside painting that also needs to be done I will have to make good use of any decent weather left in 2007
UP? I'm talking about MOST of Michigan. Considering that Marquette is farther away from us than Louisville, KY, it's no surprise that winter is 8 months long in the U.P.

I wasn't referring to nights, just days, to which most people use as a barometer for normal temps

Old 09-18-2007, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 43,987 times
I have seen snow come in the northern lower in sep. and not leave untill may. I have seen it snow in july. Michigan has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation.
I have seen it thunderstorm in jan. and freeze in june.dec to the first of may is always cold and wet. not a nice time. It is a roll of the dice if august to october will be nice.
march is almost always bad. and april is 9 times out of 10 cold one day and 55 the next. you are so sick of winter in april that even when it is nice and it melts off. you get that last 6 inch snow and want to pull out your hair.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacy View Post
I have seen snow come in the northern lower in sep. and not leave untill may. I have seen it snow in july. Michigan has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation.
I have seen it thunderstorm in jan. and freeze in june.dec to the first of may is always cold and wet. not a nice time. It is a roll of the dice if august to october will be nice.
march is almost always bad. and april is 9 times out of 10 cold one day and 55 the next. you are so sick of winter in april that even when it is nice and it melts off. you get that last 6 inch snow and want to pull out your hair.
You've seen it snow in September and not leave until May in Northern lower? What year was that? I'll go back and research it.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
I remember 1991 to 1996 being very bad.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:52 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You've seen it snow in September and not leave until May in Northern lower? What year was that? I'll go back and research it.
How about Livingston county, Brighton to be exact, in 1994. It snowed on Mother's Day. I stood at my kitchen window and cried.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 AM

Sheesh! I knew we'd get a bunch of "well I remember when I was 10 and it snowed for a week around 4th of July". I'm not talking about freak snowstorms in September and May. Those happen in Georgia too! In fact, those years that we got those freak snows, there was also a "cold snap" in much of the rest of the country. I remember it being in the 50's for weeks around Gerald Ford's Funeral in January last year. Does that mean we have no winter at all in January?

This thread is in reference to people who claim that winter lasts 9 months a year in Michigan, which just isn't true (for most of Michigan, never lived in the hinterlands of the UP). I'll keep it going through October and November and we'll see where average DAILY temps are just to prove my point.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Hey, I do not work in the winter! I want my 9 months off!! LOL LOL LOL

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,399 times
The hotter it is, the better in my eyes I'm grateful for this week's weather! Yes!!! Yay!!!

My allergies have been acting up though...Maybe a frost would be a good thing though? Ha ha ha!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan