Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
LOL! I so know what you mean. I recognize you from the Indy board here too. We just relocated to Noblesville and I miss Michigan already. *sigh* It's just not 'home' for me...yet. The cicadas are ANNOYING...though I do say that we had them up there too. Just didn't seem as ...many!
I noticed you too, on the Indiana board. I'm a Michigan native, but have lived in Indiana 20 years (holy moly) and the last 13 years of that in Zionsville. I've got two more years here and I'm moving back to NW Michigan. As much as I love Zionsville, Michigan will always be home. Love it there and go there every chance I get. I grew up in Berkley and Holly, but my parents retired to Fife Lake and I'm hoping to settle in the Arcadia, Elberta, Frankfort area. I work in public safety. So I'll probably be serving coffee (happily) up there until there is an opening.

Welcome to the northside...the only side of Indianapolis that saved my sanity, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM

687 posts, read 2,031,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
I noticed you too, on the Indiana board. I'm a Michigan native, but have lived in Indiana 20 years (holy moly) and the last 13 years of that in Zionsville. I've got two more years here and I'm moving back to NW Michigan. As much as I love Zionsville, Michigan will always be home. Love it there and go there every chance I get. I grew up in Berkley and Holly, but my parents retired to Fife Lake and I'm hoping to settle in the Arcadia, Elberta, Frankfort area. I work in public safety. So I'll probably be serving coffee (happily) up there until there is an opening.

Welcome to the northside...the only side of Indianapolis that saved my sanity, lol!

Born in Cali, moved to MI when I was under 1 and lived there my whole entire life. My mom was born in Hamtramk and most of my family is still there. I watched Fireworks over Fife Lake on 4th of July I'd love to have a place to 'retire' to up there.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,504 times
I'm from Cleveland, OH originally, but lived in Michigan for 6 years, including Mt. Pleasant and Utica. I live in Georgia, and I miss the snow around Christmas and into early January. Otherwise I don't miss it. The main difference in living in the south is not necessarily the temperature, as many winter nights we can be as cold as you, although it does tend to warm into the mid-50s during the day. However, the main difference for me is the sun, as the south tends to get on average 90 more days (almost 3 whole months!) of sun compared to the Great Lakes region, according to weather statistics. I love many things about Michigan and Ohio, but for my own mental health, that's the factor that keeps me from moving back. That being said, there was nothing better as a kid to be "snowed in" by a huge lake effect storm, and going outside to play tackle football in the snow and build snow forts.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM

78 posts, read 357,192 times
Waaay up here in Houghton, we do get the long-winters. Check out our local weather guru's website for historical weather:

John Dee's Snow Central

Since the winter of 99-00, we have had frost and snow on the ground before October 13 and the Earliest the snow's melted since 2000 is April 11.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
Waaay up here in Houghton, we do get the long-winters. Check out our local weather guru's website for historical weather:

John Dee's Snow Central

Since the winter of 99-00, we have had frost and snow on the ground before October 13 and the Earliest the snow's melted since 2000 is April 11.
Yeah, people don't realize Houghton is closer to Minneapolis than any city in the lower Peninsula (even Traverse City). Don't believe me, look it up:

from: houghton, michigan to: Minneapolis, MN - Google Maps

from: houghton, michigan to: Traverse City, MI - Google Maps

I don't think people really realize how big and how different weather is in different parts of Michigan. From Grand Rapids to Houghton is almost as far as Grand Rapids to Nashville, TN!!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Still wondering when I can put that lawn mower away and blow out my sprinkler system. Anyone? Bueller? I thought winter was 9 months long in Michigan?

http://woodtv.images.worldnow.com/Images/forecast_510.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 PM

65 posts, read 233,764 times
Yep... here in Zeeland, I closed my pool labor day weekend. I could have used it this week end and last week!

Its hard to believe my tailgate in East Lansing tomorrow, that I will be wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You've seen it snow in September and not leave until May in Northern lower? What year was that? I'll go back and research it.
It's never happened. Don't bother

Old 10-06-2007, 06:35 PM

36 posts, read 151,324 times
You've got to be kidding. It lasts a minimum of 18 months.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 AM

271 posts, read 933,852 times
October - Wow, look at the colorful leaves. Crisp cool wind is refreshing

November - No real snow accumulation...some light stuff, but not much. Thanksgiving night before the long drive to family...poof, 6-8 inches...

December - First constant week of snow....hey, has anyone noticed the sun is missing? Ignorant drivers along with unsuspecting southern newcomers are piling up in the medians across the state like clockwork as the rest of us stay home during their week long crash. Xmas hit/miss on being a "White Christmas". White stuff seems to come and melt quickly

January - Wow, negative 10 degree nights, rare, but mixed with 8-12 inch accumulations in 24 hours, with 16 inches or more very rare. Constant snow clouds within 2 miles of Lake Michigan. White stuff still cute, but looking forward to spring. And about that sun...what is with the 1 day sun with 10 days gloomy grey anyway??? And where did all this new body fat come from...guess beig bored and inactive does wonders on those fat cells...

February - So why is it still sub zero temps every night...where is the spring warmup? 12 inches on Monday...melts on Thursday before Friday ski trip. Seen the sun last week...actually bowed down and worshiped it as a false God for the three hours while it lasted...need to go to church twice this week...

March - OK...this crap is getting old. Car is so rusted and covered with sand that I have no clue what color it really use to be, but that is OK as the "Winter Blues" has me so depressed that nothing matters anymore. Snow showers, slush, freezing slush, dry, repeat again and again. The county road crews start annual complaints about being over budget on salt....which makes sense as you are more likely by this time of the year to crash on the over zealous 2 inches of salt rock spread on the roads than the light 1 inch snowfall they just covered...

April - Are you Freaking KIDDING ME...sun coming out twice a week now, but still cold as hell with huge swings in temperature. Snow now makes one sick to the stomach...inch by inch up to 4-6 inches at a time.

May - Ah, tulip time....wam, bam, frosty-time or huge spring warmup instead...flip a coin but don't take the light coat with a hood off your back just yet. Bright green is something new to stare at versus blinding white. Stopped worshiping false sun god...it is regular natural event to see this thing called "The Sun"!

June - Can't wait to see mid 70s. Can't wait to swim in Lake Michigan. Holy Smoke 43 degree water temps??? And who left the fridge open on those windy days for those a few miles from the lakeshore??? Drive an hour inland and roll down the window...drive back and you will roll it back up least your arm and face go numb...

July - Ah, more like it...this is real summer! Constant 6-7 day/week of sun, mid 70 to 80 temps, super low humidity, nice constant breeze...puuurfect! Eat your heart out Hawaii. Now having to work all summer and stay indoors while staring outdoors from the corporate window, while realizing it will all be gone soon, becomes the new seasonal depression...

August - Lake Michigan hit 73 degrees F!!! Sun hot enough to finally get a sunburn! Perfect again...with a few pesky mid 90s and some humid days.

September - realization that winter is approaching has created anxiety to be outside constantly and get all the crap done that can only be done with temperatures above freezing. Scramble to complete year end projects and have last remaining fun outdoors begins...

October - 38 degree or 78 degree Haloween...flip a coin. Jacket one day, short sleeve shirt the next. Retail reminds you that summer is gone constantly by pulling summer fans, charcoal, etc in early September and sending out fireplace flyers (cough, cough...MENARDS!!!) the first of October. Jealousy of those who can flee the Michigan for warmer southern states kick in. Time to think about staying warm and getting fat again during another long and un-predictable "Michigan Winter"...

Siberia

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You've seen it snow in September and not leave until May in Northern lower? What year was that? I'll go back and research it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
It's never happened. Don't bother

West Michigan had a light snowfall in 1999 during May ( late 90s..can't exactly remember much except it was mid 70s when walked into work, and was below freezing with light snow 8 hours later.

Detroit has May snow records back to 1900s. May 9th, 1923 shows 6 inches of wet snow in Detroit...most likely a record. May snow isn't common, not not super rare either.

May Snow Storm

Now can't say I remember a September snow...but October snowfalls definately happen...

In summary, 8 months are snow capable...with usually only 6 that occur. 6-8 months of winter??? Lets split the difference and just say 7 months possible...

Last edited by Siberia; 10-08-2007 at 12:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan