Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM

86 posts, read 456,812 times

Advertisements

I'm quite shy by nature and never did get out much to chat with my neighbors when I lived in a little house in a little neighborhood. I would wave when I saw them, but that was about it. So that's something to consider as well.

These days I live in an apartment and my neighbors change all the time, so it's impossible to get to know anyone very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 AM

393 posts, read 1,498,079 times
That's great you're enjoying your new home. Where in MI are you? Or, if you prefer not to give that out, what is the nearest large city?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 AM

178 posts, read 701,770 times
Well, glad you like Michigan.

Just don't expect too many people on this forum (or in real life) to share your sentiments.

I guess just enjoy Michigan and whenever possible, put some cash aside, "just in-case"

Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
Well, glad you like Michigan.

Just don't expect too many people on this forum (or in real life) to share your sentiments.

I guess just enjoy Michigan and whenever possible, put some cash aside, "just in-case"

Trust me, I don't expect but about 4 or 5 people on this board to share my sentiments. But in real life, I have heard about an eighth of the doom and gloom that I hear on this board.

And thanks for the advice, but we always have cash stashed away, and my husband has excellent job security. He doesn't work for a company that does lay offs, because they only promote from within. Oh, his division isn't union, which to me, is a beautiful thing.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
To those who wast their time on forums complaining that they can not find a job. Stop! Walk away from the computer and to the door. Walk to the light, walk to the light children.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 AM

Well, keep in mind, people often have a much easier time expressing their opinion in written form and/or anonymously, which is why online places are actually an EXCELLENT source for info on anything.

As far as work goes - that's good you have money saved up...but unless your husband is the boss or in a super high up and hard to replace position, I would never put "being w/o a job" in the realm of impossibility. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just trying to say, "don't get too confident".

Old 09-21-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
To those who wast their time on forums complaining that they can not find a job. Stop! Walk away from the computer and to the door. Walk to the light, walk to the light children.
You mean keep walking, into the road, into the lights of an oncoming semi?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypurdue View Post
These days I live in an apartment and my neighbors change all the time, so it's impossible to get to know anyone very well.
You know what's funny? When I lived in Chicago the people in the apartments I lived in on the average, I'd say, lived in the SAME place for about a decade. I'd say about 10-20% of the people I met had lived in the same apartment for 20 years and I even met a lady once who said she had lived there for FORTY YEARS!

20 & 40 YEARS PEOPLE!?! Who on Earth would want to live in an APARTMENT and basically throw away all that cash for rent for that long? I think that says a lot about how expensive regular housing has become.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
Well, keep in mind, people often have a much easier time expressing their opinion in written form and/or anonymously, which is why online places are actually an EXCELLENT source for info on anything.

As far as work goes - that's good you have money saved up...but unless your husband is the boss or in a super high up and hard to replace position, I would never put "being w/o a job" in the realm of impossibility. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just trying to say, "don't get too confident".
Well, hate to say it, but he is the boss, and in a very good spot. And if you'll recall, the company chose to send him here as a promotion. I will never divulge the company he works for on this board, as it is no one's business. But you'd have to know the company to understand how it works. Unless someone ROYALLY screws up, they do not get fired. Royal screw ups define sleeping with someone in the company, stealing, cheating, etc. Any other screw up would end in a demotion which, would still suck but there would still be a job waiting for the person.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to explain myself. I just don't have that Michigan mentality that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I should have never started this thread. Wouldn't you know that one person's happiness would eventually be stomped upon. At least, attempted to be stomped upon. I will NEVER, EVER take on the attitude that the majority of people on this board have. I would be miserable just like them, and I don't choose to live my life that way. And quite frankly, I will never mention mine or my husband's job on here again because having a good, solid job isn't good enough on here. You've got to be unemployed and BIT*HING about it, to matter.

It's no wonder so many people hate living here. Look at how many people have been run off of this board by negative, RUDE people. Imagine what those people are like in real life - it's unreal.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Khfar, I agree with you 100% I was born and raised in Michigan and have lived out of State for far too long. I'm in Maine right now and cannot wait for this set of contracts to expire so we can get back home to West Michigan. Doom and Gloom, personally I hope everybody keeps feeling that way for another year because somebody will feel like they just hit the jackpot when we come back and buy their house. Personally, I don't really care what the real estate market is doing right now, I plan on keeping whatever we buy until the day I die of old age. After living all over the US, I have never seen a better place to raise kids and live, than Michigan, that is why we are headed back. My family have tried different places, but the West side of the State will always be "home" and when it comes right down to what really counts, it cannot be beat.

Go ahead all you nay-sayers, rip my post apart. Tell me why I am wrong. Question my heritage. Post all the negatives you can, unless you have been other places within the last year, you are spouting useless drivel you cannot back-up with personal experience. If you can, and you like it so much better elsewhere, last I knew we didn't need travel papers in America to pack our goodies and get out of any area we don't like; quit griping and start packing. Ooooohhhh right... you have a job in Michigan, and not prospects anywhere else. now I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan