Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 9,085 times

Advertisements

Hi :I am new here and would like any suggestions from you guys.
My family will move to the ann arbor, mi area pretty soon for a job and a university .
We know little about the area and are undecided where we can live and what options to choose .
We plan to live there maybe 5 years or more and plan to eventually buy a house. first, we plan to rent before buying and would like to choose a pplace with the following in mind: 1. withing 15 miles of ypsilanti airport. 2 a safe city which is a reasonable commute for my son. 3 not too expensive but a good city for a family. 4. a city where we can hopefully sell when we're ready to move again.
I appriate any answer from all of you .
Thanks lots .

Last edited by txhen; 05-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: correct some mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 PM

Lightbulb Will be new Michigan residents,I need you guys suggests

Hi :I am new here and would like any suggestions from you guys.
My family will move to the ann arbor, mi area pretty soon for a job and a university .
We know little about the area and are undecided where we can live and what options to choose .
We plan to live there maybe 5 years or more and plan to eventually buy a house. first, we plan to rent before buying and would like to choose a pplace with the following in mind: 1. withing 15 miles of ypsilanti airport. 2 a safe city which is a reasonable commute for my son. 3 not too expensive(within 200,000$) but a good city for a family. 4. a city where we can hopefully sell when we're ready to move again. I hear someone told the house in that area can't be sell out easily ,Is it true ?
I appriate any answer from all of you .
Thanks lots .

Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
1. withing 15 miles of ypsilanti airport.

This limits you a bit. I am not sure of exactly 15 miles, but I thik that your options for decent places with good schools, will pretty much be Plymouth, Canton, Ann Arbor and maybe Livonia. If you expand that distance a bit, you can add Northville, South Lyon, Saline, Chelsea, Dexter, and a bunch of townships. Good schools and nicer communities will help you with re-sale.

2 a safe city which is a reasonable commute for my son.

Unless you get over close to Detroit, it is hard to find a city that is not safe. Ypsilanti may be considered less safe by some.

3 not too expensive(within 200,000$) but a good city for a family.

This is do-able as long as you are not looking for something big, on the water, or a lot of land. In Ann Arbor, which is probably your best bet, you will be in a really small fixer upper at this price. The only Cities that I would have any concern about family in that area are Ypsilanti and Belville. Ypsi township does not have the best schools int he area, but they are nto bad schools. Otherwise, it is a very good area for families.

4. a city where we can hopefully sell when we're ready to move again. I hear someone told the house in that area can't be sell out easily ,Is it true ?

Yes it is true. You best bets for re-sale are Ann Arbor, followed by Northville. Any place with good schools you have a decent chance of selling and things seem to be picking up. It is a wild guess whether things will continue to pickup, or take another dive over the next five years. Basing a decision on conditions now, when you intend to try to sell in five years, is not going to help you very much. Five years from now, the market could be booming. It could crash, it could remain the same. None is more likely than any of the others.

Search through City data threads and you will find a lot of discussions about Plymouth, Canton, Ann Arbor, Northville and Chelsea. You will find some, but fewer about Livonia, Saline, Dexter, South Lyon, and even some about Ypsilanti.

Your "wants" are pretty broad. You gave us a budget and a location. Do you care about schools, water, city or non-city, parks, local shopping, etcetera? Which are most important to you.

If your 15 miles is an absolute, so that 16 miles or 18 or 20 are unacceptable, then you are very limited. You ma want to get a map and figure out every town within 15 miles, post a list and we will tell you about each city or township. As mentioned, you cna also find lengthy discussions about almost every one of these places on CD.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM

By the way, if I were you, I would be looking at Plymouth, Ann Arbor, South Lyon, Canton, Livonia in that order. If you expand your range, I would put Chelsea, Northville and Dexter at the top of that list. I am not sure where i woudl put Saline - to me it woudl be equal with Souh Lyon.

Canton would only be consideration if it was part of Canton in the Plymoputh Canton School district, and it would be nearly last on every list. I dislike cookie cutter sprawl intensely. If you like cookie cutter sprawl, it woudl move up the list.

I am not including townships. Townships you could include are Huron, Ann Abrbor, Salem, Plymouth, Northville, probably some I am missing. Townships usually govern smaller rural type areas. Some, however like Plymouth and Northville are pretty built ut with sprawl. I wouldhave to look at a map to figure out shich townships are within your range.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
By the way, if I were you, I would be looking at Plymouth, Ann Arbor, South Lyon, Canton, Livonia in that order. If you expand your range, I would put Chelsea, Northville and Dexter at the top of that list. I am not sure where i woudl put Saline - to me it woudl be equal with Souh Lyon.

Canton would only be consideration if it was part of Canton in the Plymoputh Canton School district, and it would be nearly last on every list. I dislike cookie cutter sprawl intensely. If you like cookie cutter sprawl, it woudl move up the list.

I am not including townships. Townships you could include are Huron, Ann Abrbor, Salem, Plymouth, Northville, probably some I am missing. Townships usually govern smaller rural type areas. Some, however like Plymouth and Northville are pretty built ut with sprawl. I wouldhave to look at a map to figure out shich townships are within your range.
Thanks so much your useful imformations .We will have a look at next weekend .
The distance would be most important to us ,I reckon. I heared in the winter ,the trafic will be very difficult .So the distance btween home and job and university will be most important things to us .By ther way ,We do not like cold weather as our age ,.lol.So ,we consider re-sale house after a few years and move to a warm place to live . You know ,buy a house seems cheap than renting if you live there a few years ,right ?
Anyway ,we will according your sugest learn more and wish can get more help on informationg from you ,if it is possible .
We appricate .Thank you very much
Have a good day please .

Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
If being that close to the airport is a real priority, I would say Plymouth is your best option. It's directly located on the freeway and within 20 minutes, in good traffic, of the airport, and 15 minutes of Ann Arbor. It has a nice downtown and housing values and potential resale are probably a bit better than in many parts of metro Detroit.

Personally I like Northville even a little more, but it's a bit farther off the freeway and will add a good 10 minutes to the airport or Ann Arbor. Well worth it in my opinion, but you have your priorities.

If you are just someone who wants a giant house for your buck and close proximity to the airport, head to Canton. It's not my cup of tea but it's certainly safe, good quality of life etc. The problem with Canton is there's no real downtown and it doesn't really feel like a 'city.' But a lot of people couldn't care less; they just want to go home, enjoy low taxes, safety and good schools, turn on the television and hang out in their yard!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 PM

39 posts, read 98,456 times
I live in the city of Plymouth and it's a great place to live but not cheap. When some of you refer to Plymouth, I'm guessing that you're talking about Plymouth Township. Not as upscale as Plymouth but still a nice area. There are some neighborhoods that are a little trashy though.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks for all your responses so far. It's a Txhen's husband talking now. Unfortunately I will be on call & have a limited call out time required to show for work at YIP airport. My biggest concerns were getting caught in traffic & winter traveling. Getting to work in 30 minutes or less will be a priority. As far as schools, our son has finished highschool & we're still undecided which college he will attend.

You all have given us something to go by & just wanted to thank all of you for your insight,
hen's family

Last edited by txhen; 05-08-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhen View Post
. You know ,buy a house seems cheap than renting if you live there a few years ,right ?

That depends on when you buy house. If you bought a house in 2005 or 2006, you would have lost about 30-40% of its value since then, plus ou would pay interest, taxes, maintenance. It would be hard to spend that much on rent I think.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Learn more question more .lol
Another question about Mi district :
I just learn the university and community colloge in this area to preapre choose a right place to live since I and my son both want go to university .I find a question below here :
I want go to community colloge because the tuition is not too high and I real find a good one "WASHTENAW COMMUNITY COLLOGE ".But another question comes to me and confuses me so much .If I choose this colloge to enroll ,I must live in Washtenaw district and can pay lowst tuition .If I choose live in canton or plymouth ,THOSE CITIES BELOW WAYNE district ,that means I need pay more tuition as a out district resident .It is true ?
If it is true ,seems I just can choose live in ann arbor or aline ,because I already learn we shuold aviode ypsilanti (I am sorry I need think re-sell house a few years late ).
Any one can give some suggest ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan