Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,802 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have lived in Traverse City for close to 10 years. I am originally from Poland so I am used to the cold but not the amount of snow we get here. I love the summers and the beauty of the area…Sleeping Bear dunes, The Bay, Leland, all the vineyards. From my perspective most people in this area are very polite and helpful. Northern Michigan, Traverse City has so many options for shopping and dining.

Job wise I am a realtor and my husband is a nurse with Munson Medical Center which is the largest hospital in Northern Michigan (around 350 beds) and has an excellent reputation. If you would be interested in some aspect of healthcare such as nurse’s aide, coder, medical transcriptionist you would not have a problem finding a job…I have heard. Construction is starting to pick up after slowing down since about 2008. Traverse City is a niche market/area and by that I mean people want to move here as opposed to other areas in Michigan in which people are moving out. So there are opportunities in the construction field.

I can tell you that home prices in Traverse City are on the higher end of the scale but once you get out to Kalkaska, Fife Lake, and Kingsley area homes are available for around 50k with possibly a few acres for horses. PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,294,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Your post validates what I've said all my life that unless you want to live like a complete recluse anything over an hour's drive to a decent size city is just too far. If you grew up only 30 minutes from Manhattan and now live with no shopping, restaurants, culture or social events it's no wonder you're suffering. Traverse City is wonderful and any of the surrounding area outside the city is also beautiful. One thing for sure is anywhere up here will solve one of your issues which is not being near any water. You'll have plenty in northern Michigan either with Lake Michigan or any of the many nice smaller lakes around. If you can manage this move I'd say we've got much here that sounds totally different from what you describe in Colorado. Food here is great with tons of choices in Traverse. Check out places like Leland and Suttons Bay too. Good luck!
Yes, you will certainly enjoy the great food offerings!

Guess which Michigan city has two of chef Mario Batali's favorite restaurants in the world | MLive.com

Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,921 times
Default Did you do it?

Did you end up moving up to Traverse? We're contemplating the same thing or maybe to ann arbor. Living in Denver. A little too dry and the mentality is different from my Wisconsin roots--and certainly different from the West Coast (lived in Portland, OR for 6+ years). We want to be closer to family but need more wilderness than what most of the mid-west has to offer. We'll miss the amazing wilderness in Colorado. We've toyed with the idea of moving to the mountains--but no jobs and may be too remote for us. I need water, wilderness, good local food, and wine. Curious if you guys made the move. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM

301 posts, read 820,484 times
I've lived in both places and found each to have it's wonderful points - and it's warts! Please check the amount of yearly days of sunshine in Traverse City compared to Grand Junction. I think you will be quite surprised. Traverse City has tons of positive attributes but sunny days from Nov. to May is not on the top of the list - and that can affect your overall outlook. Colorado is, by far, the sunniest place I have ever lived and we really noticed the difference when we moved to Michigan.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,880,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1415 View Post
I need water, wilderness, good local food, and wine.
Then you will love TC! That's where we are headed also.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 AM

14 posts, read 40,871 times
Default Ksmith1415

Water is the best in the world arguably as I have stated in other posts. Wilderness is stunning. Trails are heavenlike. Views? Man try Sleeping Bear! The age old issue is cost of living and local pay. If you are single or a couple renting a small apartment downtown without any pets and service workers that love the outdoors then move right now today! I mean now! If you love outdoors and have good incomes move now> ASAP!. Dont expect any college type priced food or quality of food. High end food yes and plentiful. Great Vegan place opened (Ohm?) that has a place in Ann Arbor also but all restaurants are expensive in my opinion for what you get anyway. Any questions let me know. Summer you will cry at the scenery on the waterfront on several occasions especially after living out west without water!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
The Cons:
If you enjoy good old country racism, intentional stupidity, and being reviled for showing any kind of intelligence, Traverse City is the place for you. Employers are abusive, don't pay well, and will rip you off at every opportunity. Grocery costs are approximately triple, and anything else is so horribly overpriced, I buy things and ship them to my brother. Even if you offered me a million dollars, I would still spit in your face if you asked me to even visit that craphole city. I got out, and anyone with a brain tries to get out too.

The Pro's:
Single women are second-hand citizens, so are desperate for male attention, especially if you mention moving away. The forests and countryside are beautiful, as well as the bays. Fishing and hunting are absolutely top-notch. If you're into either, visit any nearby lake and see water so clear you can see the bottom. It's not unusual to bag a deer that dresses out at 140lbs and more, and being acorn-fed, they are very tasty.
The restaurants invariably have good food, due to the tourist trade. I recommend Bob Evans for breakfast! Ponderosa is the place for a good buffet. J&S Hamburg is great for any time of day If you're into higher priced food, go to the Grand Traverse Hotel, they will charge you enough for you to feel like you're being treated special
Just a short drive to the south, you will find the Interlochen academy of music, and I think they still hold concerts there.

Now, before anyone flames me for posting this, I lived there for 20 years. If traverse city was wiped off the map by a natural disaster (fingers crossed for a nice meteorite strike) I would happily move back there. It's so quiet at night (out in the country) you can feel it. Until the local hillbillies start shooting their guns. But that's not often, thankfully.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,915,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinaryman View Post
The Cons:
If you enjoy good old country racism, intentional stupidity, and being reviled for showing any kind of intelligence, Traverse City is the place for you. Employers are abusive, don't pay well, and will rip you off at every opportunity. Grocery costs are approximately triple, and anything else is so horribly overpriced, I buy things and ship them to my brother. Even if you offered me a million dollars, I would still spit in your face if you asked me to even visit that craphole city. I got out, and anyone with a brain tries to get out too.

The Pro's:
Single women are second-hand citizens, so are desperate for male attention, especially if you mention moving away. The forests and countryside are beautiful, as well as the bays. Fishing and hunting are absolutely top-notch. If you're into either, visit any nearby lake and see water so clear you can see the bottom. It's not unusual to bag a deer that dresses out at 140lbs and more, and being acorn-fed, they are very tasty.
The restaurants invariably have good food, due to the tourist trade. I recommend Bob Evans for breakfast! Ponderosa is the place for a good buffet. J&S Hamburg is great for any time of day If you're into higher priced food, go to the Grand Traverse Hotel, they will charge you enough for you to feel like you're being treated special
Just a short drive to the south, you will find the Interlochen academy of music, and I think they still hold concerts there.

Now, before anyone flames me for posting this, I lived there for 20 years. If traverse city was wiped off the map by a natural disaster (fingers crossed for a nice meteorite strike) I would happily move back there. It's so quiet at night (out in the country) you can feel it. Until the local hillbillies start shooting their guns. But that's not often, thankfully.
Hmm, desperate you say? I wasn't considering it, but now...

Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM

63 posts, read 128,790 times
Ordinaryman, your first paragraph is a classic and should be mandatory reading for all those who are wanting to live in Traverse City. I would add that Traverse City is about as boring as watching a banana take a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan