Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,694 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move to Flint MI and I don't know anything about the area. I am hoping that someone can give me some insight.

Thanks for any guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 AM

976 posts, read 3,860,210 times
Sorry, im not from Michigan but, my new neighbors are from Livonia, Michigan. I live in Westlake, Ohio far from Flint but, my neighbors have nothing but bad news to say about Flint. They say the unemployment is high and crime is out the roof. Other than that i wouldnt know. Just thought i would give you some insight.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,818 times
I'm from MI and I say Flint is one scary place. Don't move there especially if you have children.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyd
I have an opportunity to move to Flint MI and I don't know anything about the area. I am hoping that someone can give me some insight.

Thanks for any guidance.
Why? Haha.
I've lived on Flint's east side (one of the "scary" areas) for two years, and about 10 miles south of Flint for almost three years prior. Like many places, where you live is what you make of it. It is not a great city overall, but there's plenty of good things to go along with the bad. Flint has a horrible reputation - somewhat deservedly so - but there are some very nice parts of the city, some excellent private schools, good job opportunity if you're in the medical field. The crime is bad, but that's just statistics. If you are not part of the demographic that is likely to become a victim of various types of crime, it's unlikely you will be, if you are sensible.

If you can be a bit more specific about what you want to know, ask away and I'll do my best.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,685 times
If you are moving to the area, there are many smaller, nicer communities around Flint.The city itself isn't the best. Job market is not great. Cost of living isn't high because of lack of jobs. If I had a choice, I'd move elsewhere. Native Flintite here.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:08 AM

8 posts, read 43,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcamper
If you are moving to the area, there are many smaller, nicer communities around Flint.The city itself isn't the best. Job market is not great. Cost of living isn't high because of lack of jobs. If I had a choice, I'd move elsewhere. Native Flintite here.
I'm a native of Flint as well, having been born at Hurley Hospital. The condition of Flint, with GM closing so many plants, is quite poor at the moment. The lack of available manufacturing jobs is causing people to have to adjust to lower cost lifestyles. None the less, there are other jobs available and would pay enough to cover a mortgage with Flint's low housing costs. The lower tax revenues resulting to fewer available services have contributed to many of the social problems among the community.

What I would like to see, is for us Flint natives to go in and take our city back. I personally feel that I have lost something that belongs to ME, and it was stolen. Aren't there others who feel the same way? The only way we can recover some of our loss is to make some concerted effort to help improve Flint whatever way we can. I really should visit that place more often.

Wendyd: I commend your considering a possible move to Flint. That town needs all the good people it can get. Be sure to REGISTER TO VOTE, and then become active in helping your neighborhood.

MrCoffee

Old 07-27-2006, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,681 times
Default Flint, MI

I am a native to Flint born and raised. While I would say that the city itself has seen better days, there is still some life left.

If you move to the area, my I suggest neighboring tows such as Flushing, Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek. These towns provide a hometown atmosphere. There are also areas in Flint that are great to live in as well. Some areas would be the Berry Patch, Southern Flint (Burton). If you are working with a real estate person, be sure to let ask them about these areas.

I would be more than happy to also answer any questions you may have about the area.

Take Care . . .

Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee

What I would like to see, is for us Flint natives to go in and take our city back. I personally feel that I have lost something that belongs to ME, and it was stolen. Aren't there others who feel the same way? The only way we can recover some of our loss is to make some concerted effort to help improve Flint whatever way we can. I really should visit that place more often.

Wendyd: I commend your considering a possible move to Flint. That town needs all the good people it can get. Be sure to REGISTER TO VOTE, and then become active in helping your neighborhood.

MrCoffee
I'm not sure that Wendy will be back, it's been a couple of weeks since she posted. But I agree with getting involved and voting, no matter where you live.
I'ver only lived in the city since Dec 2004, but I volunteer and go to neighborhood community-crimewatch meetings. It's pathetic, really, how few people want to make any effort, instead of just whining about how bad it is!

And what tblack said, although I'd argue Grand Blanc is anything but home-towney. The new Walmart, Home Despot etc are sounding the death knell to the remaining locally-owned businesses (RIP Colony Market) and it's nothing but lots of big boring subdivisions and some golf courses. Ho hum.
I lived in GB for a few years before moving to the 'hood -
honestly I'd take Flint any day, though I'm a bit of an iconoclast; I'm in a minority, I'm sure!
Not to mention you can actually get a half-way decent fixer-upper house for under $20K in Flint. Try that in Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek or Davison...although I grant you if one has children that would change the equation a bit.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 71,784 times
I would have to 2nd Tblack's comment about some of the surrounding areas. I moved to Flushing from Plymouth (Detroit suburb), and liked Flushing quite a bit. I'm now about 20-25 minutes south of Flint, in Fenton, which is very nice!
I would personally avoid the city of Flint, and be wary of Flint Township. The Township is a nice area, many of the Doctors live there and housing is still quite reasonable. However, considering a home is an investment, you may not get much appreciation in Flint Twp., and the schools have gone downhill.
I can't say that I have a very high opinion of Burton either, sorry.
The general rule of thumb as I learned it was, stay to the WEST of Linden Road. But if you're ok with a reasonable commute of 10-20 minutes, there are plenty of very nice areas surrounding Flint.
Oh, and avoid the City of Linden... the taxes are OUTRAGEOUS!!! Stick to townships.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 15,996 times
i would recommend maybe working in flint and living in a surrounding community nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan