Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

Here's my thing! I was born, in Grand Rapids,long time ago...left to Chicago,Il. in 1967. Now we're retiring, and are thinking of the beauty, and solitude, of Michigan, again,which was why we left,in the first place!!!! The solitude, anyway: )...then looking, in northern Mich. has left us totally bewildered...Love, Love, traverse City then ,cheboygan, then, Kalkaska,area... took a trip up there.All have fabulas real-estate homes,and acreage,....Someone, suggested, WHY??? i'm saying, mansions, farms, soo reasonable...Checked out sex offenders, up there.....OH MY GOSH.....It's a mess!! It puts, chicago, Detroit, and other big cities, look like angel towns..You cannot believe, the offenders in cheboygan.. Its NUTS... They must all gather together! THEN, no-one mentions,the black bear, up there. Who's gonna take thier children, to live in a place, where, you cannot trust, you'll run into bear, if you step outside...... we're so diaapointed.. Our dreams of long walks, gardening, bike riding,are NOT gonna happen up north,Michigan. As beautiful, as it is, if you'll not be running from bears, you'll be hiding out from sex -offenders......;( sad in Illinois )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
This may sound rhetorical, but what was the question?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
I've never checked statistics on sex offenders, but I would say if Cheboygan is especially bad then look more to Traverse City. I wouldn't worry so much about black bears because there are a lot of areas where this really isn't a big issue up here. I've never seen a bear in the woods in my entire life, and I'm no spring chicken anymore.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Not many bears around in 1967? I thought they were always there. One was seen recently in north Grand Rapids area.
Sex offenders running loose? General population has increased, and maybe there is more attention on the problem than there used to be. Sounds like an overreaction, but I haven't done any homework on that.
I'm a bit puzzled by the post.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Why are you not considering upperMichigan ? We are due north of Chicago. The lifestyle here is great, and almost crime free.Check out Marquette, we have it all, along with good medical .The best part is Lake Superior, just one more cove, beach, around all the bends It's a place like no other.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Hate to disappoint you, but the perverts are everywhere. Maybe living in a place with a bunch of them will force you to exercise your supervisory role as a parent better than living in a place where you think they do not exist.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,722 times
Am I the only one who smells BS? What is the point of this post? Your not going to leave Chicago that has 2568 registered sex offenders compared to 61 in Cheboygan? And you fear black bear? This post cannot be serious. Michigan DNR says there are between 15,000 and 19,000 black bear in all of Michigan, with 90% living in the U.P 90%! So how many does that leave in lower Michigan? I've been going up north most of my life and have never....... EVER seen a black bear in the wild. Here is a little tid bit on black bears for ya.

Do black bear present any danger to people?
Black bear are shy by nature. If you were hiking through the woods, a bear would most likely hear you or pick up your scent and run off before you even knew it was there. Bear have a natural fear of humans and it is best if that fear remains intact. If we leave foods accessible to bear, they may overcome their fear of humans in order to take advantage of it. Bear that learn to associate food with humans can be dangerous. People must act responsibly when living or vacationing in bear country, and know what activities are likely to attract bear. Prevention is the key to avoiding people-bear conflicts.

From 2001 -2010 Cheboygan had 0 murder, vs Chicago 6,437
Rapes Cheboygan 41, vs Chicago 18,599
Robberies- Cheboygan 5 vs Chicago- 310,000 +
Assaults- Cheboygan- 53 vs Chicago 252,000 +

We could get into the per person argument, but I'd feel safer in ANY northern Michigan town over Chicago any day of the week. Would prefer living in them too. Enjoy staying in Illinois.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
It's like apples and oranges, just how do you relate Any big city with the north woods ?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaruhu View Post
Here's my thing! I was born, in Grand Rapids,long time ago...left to Chicago,Il. in 1967. Now we're retiring, and are thinking of the beauty, and solitude, of Michigan, again,which was why we left,in the first place!!!! The solitude, anyway: )...then looking, in northern Mich. has left us totally bewildered...Love, Love, traverse City then ,cheboygan, then, Kalkaska,area... took a trip up there.All have fabulas real-estate homes,and acreage,....Someone, suggested, WHY??? i'm saying, mansions, farms, soo reasonable...Checked out sex offenders, up there.....OH MY GOSH.....It's a mess!! It puts, chicago, Detroit, and other big cities, look like angel towns..You cannot believe, the offenders in cheboygan.. Its NUTS... They must all gather together! THEN, no-one mentions,the black bear, up there. Who's gonna take thier children, to live in a place, where, you cannot trust, you'll run into bear, if you step outside...... we're so diaapointed.. Our dreams of long walks, gardening, bike riding,are NOT gonna happen up north,Michigan. As beautiful, as it is, if you'll not be running from bears, you'll be hiding out from sex -offenders......;( sad in Illinois )
I cannot take anyone seriously who is this terrible at writing. Please learn how to use a comma correctly.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
I think I'd take my chances with the bears and sex offenders in Northern Michigan compared to the traffic and crime in Chicago. My goodness. 50 shot in a single weekend. Roving gangs of thugs attacking people downtown. Don't even mention the traffic!

I'd say the odds are in your favor in Northern Michigan.

You get out of that mess and who knows, maybe you'll achieve a little more clarity of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan