Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 PM

102 posts, read 413,680 times

Advertisements

South Haven's BOOKED for a quick- JUNE- Beach, relaxing, family w/ 2 teens, Get-Away weekend --
New Buffalo or Benton Harbor...? or any other suggestions while we pack down here in INDY.!
Restaurants, (things to do.?) are the only other factor, as Hotels are about the same $$.
thxs
BigB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
I don't go through Benton Harbor so I could not suggest there. Benton Harbor and Muskegon are considered to be the least desirable towns on the lake due to crime rate.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,163 times
St. Joseph is a great little town. Awesome beach and a couple of nice restaurants. If you have time, just shoot up US31 to Saugatuck for great shopping and restaurants. Also, Holland is another 15 minutes north on US 31. The best downtown in America -- shops, restaurants, an Irish Pub, a brewpub, galleries, bookstores, clothing, cigar shop & lounge, etc. Don't miss it!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM

218 posts, read 507,753 times
Yeah give St. Joe a try. Silver Beach is great! The downtown area is a neat place that has a fudge/coffe shop thats great.

St. Joe won't have as many rentals as South Haven, but its worth a try.

Benton Harbor--NO

Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM

235 posts, read 536,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
St. Joseph is a great little town. Awesome beach and a couple of nice restaurants. If you have time, just shoot up US31 to Saugatuck for great shopping and restaurants. Also, Holland is another 15 minutes north on US 31. The best downtown in America -- shops, restaurants, an Irish Pub, a brewpub, galleries, bookstores, clothing, cigar shop & lounge, etc. Don't miss it!
I was going to say stay in Saugatuck itself so then you have there and downtown Holland for stuff to do.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I don't go through Benton Harbor so I could not suggest there. Benton Harbor and Muskegon are considered to be the least desirable towns on the lake due to crime rate.
The parts of Benton Harbor with "crime" (this is not Detroit, people) aren't even on the lake. Jean Klock Park, a beach in Benton Harbor, is really a Benton Harbor address that's really close to St. Joe. Same for the golf course. This is not to say that I personlly see Benton Harbor or St. Joe as my vacation spot of choice.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,127 times
Why not stay in Holland? It's more affordable for some reason, maybe because they have more hotels due to the size of the town. Grand Haven isn't all that far if you want to go there one of the days, and Holland itself has a nice downtown, too. Saugatuck is very close and Oval Beach there is great. I don't know about beaches in Holland but maybe someone can chime in.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubi View Post
Why not stay in Holland? It's more affordable for some reason, maybe because they have more hotels due to the size of the town. Grand Haven isn't all that far if you want to go there one of the days, and Holland itself has a nice downtown, too. Saugatuck is very close and Oval Beach there is great. I don't know about beaches in Holland but maybe someone can chime in.
Holland, MI Beaches

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

214 posts, read 673,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubi View Post
I don't know how much I would recommend Holland. It *does* have a pristine and lovely downtown, but the town shuts down at 9pm, except for New Holland Brewery (and distillery) and the 1 college bar across the street. Other places are closer to the highway / hotel areas, but they close pretty early too.

The beach is still a 10-15 minute drive, and IMHO not all that great for beach-type activities. Admittedly though I've only been to two beaches, and one of them took about 30 minutes to walk to after we parked.

I really enjoy Holland, but it depends on what OP is looking to do. If he wants a nice town that is reasonably priced (but sleepy), Holland might be a good choice. If he wants a nightlife and more than 10-12 options for food, drink and merriment, he might want to look elsewhere.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Grand Haven has action on weekends. Restaurants, Chinook Pier shops and restaurants, nightspots with bands, a long beach (state park). It's further away but worth it imo.
Saugatuck is artsy-touristy-shoppy-boaty, has Oval Beach and is quaintly scenic.
Holland has a state park which is all beach with an iconic historic lighthouse, a quaint downtown but it does get quiet after dark. It's also a college town.
My preference is Grand Haven - especially for a family desiring a little action. It's a straight shot up US-31.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan