Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
the fire affected mostly heavily wooded areas...but it did burn down the rainbow lodge. You have to go deep in the woods to even find the area burned...its not like you cross the bridge and see all kinds of fire damage. The area with the worst damage was the two hearted river area, which mostly affects the people who love to fish the world class trout river, and those who canoe it to lake superior.
If someone really feels the amazing connection to the u.p. Like a lot of people do... It will probably work out just fine. You never know till you try...
Moving to the U.P......any tips?-pict0059.jpg

Moving to the U.P......any tips?-pict0056.jpg

These are some pictures hubby took near the lodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Attachment 98586

Attachment 98587

These are some pictures hubby took near the lodge.
Sad....I have about 20 I took just days after the fire was considered put out.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uponthemind View Post
How exciting, you'll have to let us know if you hear anything!!!
Actually, we did hear- he got the transfer, and we'll be moving on August 10th!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

This thread sounds like I have read and commented before ?, guess it just slipped through the cracks.
So, you did not say where you are going up here ( was it Iron Mountain ? ) If so, than you have been running two threads on the same subject it seems ?
Ether way, make Marquette your destination. I did the same research 5 years ago, Marquette came out on top, as from what I gleaned from CD at the time. It turned out to be the right choice, big time ! main factors, its a real city,with city like things and services, its on Superior, so views and even more important milder weather. We seldom get below 20 F in the winter near the lake. The other important thing for me, was just the feel I get from living here. There is sorta a "frontier near the city" kinda feel. A lot like many places in Alaska. The people are the best, so is the economy, its a growing place, thats important to me, even though I am retired. best of all are the Huron Mtns. I wanted a home with a view, I got it, building on a mountain top, we can see forever across lake Superior !. Good luck, if , I have not already said this before.?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
This thread sounds like I have read and commented before ?, guess it just slipped through the cracks.
So, you did not say where you are going up here ( was it Iron Mountain ? ) If so, than you have been running two threads on the same subject it seems ?
Ether way, make Marquette your destination. I did the same research 5 years ago, Marquette came out on top, as from what I gleaned from CD at the time. It turned out to be the right choice, big time ! main factors, its a real city,with city like things and services, its on Superior, so views and even more important milder weather. We seldom get below 20 F in the winter near the lake. The other important thing for me, was just the feel I get from living here. There is sorta a "frontier near the city" kinda feel. A lot like many places in Alaska. The people are the best, so is the economy, its a growing place, thats important to me, even though I am retired. best of all are the Huron Mtns. I wanted a home with a view, I got it, building on a mountain top, we can see forever across lake Superior !. Good luck, if , I have not already said this before.?

Nope, This is my only post on CD. But I'm sure there are many more yooper hopefuls on here!

I'm thinking the Marquette area will be the place we end up. Maybe in a smaller town outside of the "city". It's in the perfect location, only a few hours to either end of the peninsula. Close enough to EVERYWHERE!!!

I've started looking at homes on trulia and zillow. Any good neighborhood suggestions?? I've got two little ones...

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!! You will have to keep me posted on everything....the move, your first winter, your favorite pasties, ect!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Nope, This is my only post on CD. But I'm sure there are many more yooper hopefuls on here!

I'm thinking the Marquette area will be the place we end up. Maybe in a smaller town outside of the "city". It's in the perfect location, only a few hours to either end of the peninsula. Close enough to EVERYWHERE!!!

I've started looking at homes on trulia and zillow. Any good neighborhood suggestions?? I've got two little ones...
I could not help you much when it comes to city neiborhoods. For the most part they are like any other in any place in North America. Outside the city limits you will find lower taxes, and more acreage. Like any other metro area, everything revolves around the city,which does have a lot of land set aside for further parks and recreation ......When you cross into Sands township going south from the city limits you will find good prices along with low utilities. People with children often make that a must, as to schools etc. Your kids can go to any school, but if you buy in a district not served by the school you have chose, out off the bus rides, you may have to take the kids yourself, which is very popular around here.
A good choice is the area I live in, about 3or4miles out from city center. You will want to stay in the north half of the Township. The main road is M553 Everything's feed from there. I have a neibor who just moved ant the house is on ten acres of woods, price somewhere in the mid 200.000 thousand range.., just an example. Like anywhere else it's all about location,location,location. If you have specific interest, Pm me for more info.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 PM

Darstar, I was responding to something uponthemind said on the 1st page when I commented up there, lol- and there is another thread on here that I started about moving to the U.P., and yep - it's Iron Mountain. I didn't start this thread here- ;-D

Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
WOOHOOOOOO!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!! You will have to keep me posted on everything....the move, your first winter, your favorite pasties, ect!
Thank you! We're thrilled, scared, but thrilled! Ok, well...it's more thrilled, with just a little scared thrown in there, haha

Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 PM

I forgot to add up there, Darstar- my husband works here in Nebraska for the V.A. hospital- because of the type of work he does, it would pretty much have to be another V.A. hospital, as opposed to, say, an outpatient center or something. I'm not 100 percent on this, but I want to say the V.A. only has five hospitals in MI- all downstate (Battle Creek, Ann Arbor..Detroit, ummm...can't remember the other one, lol, and Iron Mountain) except for Iron Mountain. So we were pretty limited, unless we wanted to live downstate which actually would be ok, I like it there as well- but he had to apply for an opening and be selected, even though he is already a federal employee- and who can turn down ANYwhere in the U.P.? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan