Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM

161 posts, read 278,737 times

Advertisements

I live in Manistee and we've always dealt with vacationers bringing up illegal fireworks around the 4th but this year since the law change it seems so much more obnoxious. Anyone else in Michigan notice an increase in firework usage?

Some moron was shooting off morters(?) the ones that explode in the sky at 4:30 PM yesterday. Why?

I don't want to turn this into a debate about how it will bring tax income into the state because it will. Just curious if anyone has noticed an increase their usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,963 times
The town I'm only a few miles from has had people shooting off various explosives for about a week now. Mind you this is about three miles away, and I can clearly hear it at my house. I have a relative who lives in Manistee. She told me someone was shooting off something on her street a few days ago. This stuff is dangerous to people's hearing. I'm always glad when the fourth is over with. Someone somewhere will lose and arm or an eye from this stuff too. It happens every year.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
No. Actually, we seem to have less of them so far. Normally we would be hearing them regularly by now, and we have onl a few. However Wednesday is the big night of course. Because there are a lot of people with extra money, we usually end up with private displays competing withthe official one. However, so far this year, less than normal.

You might be surprised to discover how few injuries and fires there really are that are caused by fireworks. If you take out idiots trying to make their own kinds of explosions, some years there are none.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Though the noise is annoying and my poor Plott Hound is terrified, I find the "celebration" refreshing. I am glad the law has finally been enlightened. I did notice quite a few rockets in the middle lane of Grand River this morning. I would hope there is some supervision around as the pyrotechnics are being ignited.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM

My daughter just got a dog (shelter dog so she's jumpy anyway) I'm a little afraid of how she's going to handle the noise on the 4th since we are blocks from the launching point. My gripe is it's all hours of the day and night, really 2:30 am you know better people. And it's been going on for at least 2 weeks or more and will go on for 2 or more weeks. I guess the tourists don't stop to consider that the locals have jobs they have to get up in the morning for. This year it just really appears to be more and they seem louder. I also worry about fire danger with more of the fireworks that actually go up into the air.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Even in the daytime there will be someone who needs sleep because they work a nightshift somewhere. It's just rude to do this to people weeks at a time at all hours. It's called the 4th of July to be celebrated on the 4th and should not extend into a month long excuse to blast people out of their beds.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM

I agree with that Luzette. As a matter of fact I was just speaking to a neighbor outside a bit ago and someone one street over set off a bunch and the poor dog was outside and she was wimpering and it irritates my chickens who start clucking up a storm. (ever hear ticked off chickens?lol) Of course it sounded like a gunshot and the neighbor and I flinched. Ugh.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM

The poor animals have no idea what this is about. When this first started on my aunt's street she wasn't expecting firecrackers so soon. It's usually pretty quiet in her area until the day of the fourth, but now I guess that's changed. She thought someone was outside her house shooting a gun.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,153,304 times
My relatives in MI have been constantly complaining about it. Where they live, yes a huge increase.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 AM

809 posts, read 1,951,921 times
No more than usual. It's about stinkin' time someone signed the bill to lift the ban on fireworks in this state. Good grief, we have had to go all the way up to Brimley and visit the Indian reservation....and they arent cheap.

Beware of individual municipalities ordinances, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan