Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM

854 posts, read 4,131,861 times

Advertisements

Hi! My brother getting married in the UP, in Gwinn in late October.

I'll be traveling from the Seattle area with a five year old and a 15-month-old. Other family members will be coming from across the country and it would be nice to spend several days with them while we're all together.

Trying to figure out where we should be looking to stay. I'm *hoping* that it won't be snowing yet. I'm hoping for a classic crisp fall with beautiful leaves falling and pumpkin stands to visit and things like that.

Often when we all get together we find a big house or cabin to stay in. That we we can all visit in the living areas and eat in and save a bit over everyone in separate hotel rooms. I know we could get rooms in chain motels in Marquette, but I'm hoping for something easier with the kids and extended family.

Best guesses for what the season will be like? Should I be thinking hot cider and falling leaves, or hot cocoa and snowmen?

Any suggestion for a nice play to stay, either one large place with many bedrooms or a couple of smaller ones next door to each other? (I don't know if the area has rental-cabin communities that are more than fishing shacks for summer use only, for example?) Is Marquette the place to be looking, or somewhere else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,869,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Best guesses for what the season will be like? Should I be thinking hot cider and falling leaves, or hot cocoa and snowmen?!
Haha! Your guess is as good as ours here in Michigan! I would say it will still be pretty nice, Highs in the 50's to 60's Or it could be snowing....good luck!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 AM

217 posts, read 589,460 times
IMHO....Gwinn is a s--thole........stay in Marquette!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM

217 posts, read 589,460 times
Let me elaborate.....Gwinn is not exactly a vacation destination.....the area physically is crappy.....nothing but sand and scrub pine trees....not much in the town....bars and a super high priced grocery store.....the only decent thing I can think of in the area is the Upnorth lodge. It is a cool, huge, log cabin bar/restaurant. Awesome atmosphere and equally awesome food! The fish fry on Friday is to die for!! They also make killer drinks! If you and your guests will be spending more time in the area than just one night, I suggest you stay in Marquette. Much nicer and much more to do/see. They will thank you!!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM

854 posts, read 4,131,861 times
No problem staying in Marquette. I found a couple places on VRBO, but there's not a lot out there in objective reviews. Anyone know of cool places to stay in Marquette for groups? Aside from regular hotels? A cabin with many bedrooms looking out on the lake sounds pretty nice....

Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,888,063 times
What you are looking for, is thereabout, but, I doubt you could afford the tariff ! Yes Gwinn is a small community that was built long ago on a master plan to be " the perfect place to live and work" . It was developed by the mining industry, with wide streets and like kind houses. As it was to be, never happened, but the idea sounded good, so Gwinn does have a real town, not so vibrant anymore, but its still there, many other mining towns have gone away forever up here..
There was a time when Gwinn has a little more going for it ans Sawyer Air Force bace was but a few miles away. The base was huge, on of the largest in the world ! When it closes, the local "town" around it was somewhat dependent on Gwinn, as they still had the only post office. The Base has been closed for over 20 years, the remains are less than wonderful and a lot of that spills over onto Gwinn.
Go to Marquette, every thing is there and more , a beautiful small city that thinks its 10 times larger than it is. has won many mqany national awards as the best place to live and now to retire. The best view , right on the waterfront is the brand new Hampton Inn. It just opened a few days ago.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,888,063 times
O' one more thing , do not worry about the weather, it will be perfect, always is around that time of year .If by some reason you find our season a bit chilly, we have many shops, one, that's been around over 100 years,and its full of all kinds of upscale clothing, its name is Getz they have a very active web site mail order business as well. We have several downtown non chain places to eat, just like any big city atmosphere, but with a view of the harbor and more of Lake Superior, the worlds largest freshwater lake, its an inland ocean ! We are located in the middle of Michigan's largest county. Just outside Marquette you will find the wilds, with bear moose, deer , and many more critters that live in our deep dark woods. Actually I know of folks that are 4 miles from city center, and live off the grid. We have it all, check us out, you might want to stay a little longer than the wedding itself ! .

Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 19,757 times
Gwinn is small and "rustic" but there are places to stay (Co-Z Cottages Gwinn Michigan formerly Cozy Cottages).
There is a nice city park in downtown Gwinn with new playground and a nearby hiking trail along the Escanaba river through Tourist Park. They have the Up North Lodge and Rodneys Pizza as well as Lynn's Cafe for breakfast (very local). Fall in the U.P. is delightful and it will probably be nice during the day and cold at night (so bring coats!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan