Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM

112 posts, read 348,314 times

Advertisements

Heres the list of repubs. that voted FOR the tax hike:

Chris Ward - Brighton

Ed Gaffney - Grosse Pointe Farms

Patricia Birkholz - Saugatuck

Tom George - Portage

Ron Jelinek of Three Oaks

Gerald Van Woerkom of Norton Shores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1234 View Post
Heres the list of repubs. that voted FOR the tax hike:

Chris Ward - Brighton

Ed Gaffney - Grosse Pointe Farms

Patricia Birkholz - Saugatuck

Tom George - Portage

Ron Jelinek of Three Oaks

Gerald Van Woerkom of Norton Shores
Thanks! I'll send them all emails thanking them for working together with their counterparts on the other side of the aisle.

I wonder if there will be a recall petition for Democrats who agreed to cutting spending?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
Thanks to anyone who crossed the aisle to help get the stalemate resolved. It takes courage to do what's right, especially when "what's right" is compromising on both sides of the equation.

I move that we start the process for abolishing term limits (or dramatically increasing them). They're the real villain in this process.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM

271 posts, read 933,888 times
Find your senator:

By Name

Find your representative:

house.mi.gov - Find a Representative (http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp - broken link)

Chat with the Governor:

GRANHOLM - Governor Granholm of Michigan

For those who think the income tax increase was trivial, don't forget about the 6% service tax, in which 2/3rds was placed on business shoulders...which will be transferred to the end consumer in product prices, etc. Next year expect a graduated tax and increase in sales tax proposals (6% to 7%). As long as they spread out the pain, they pray that nobody will notice the how immense the new taxes are as a whole...

And do realize that Michigan is in the beginning stages of a 10 year recession according to leading economists and business think tanks. That said, this is the start of a process in which our Government solves shortfalls...which was fixed 80% by tax increases, and 20% by cuts (not even passed yet). Imagine 9 more years of solving the budget crisis with 80% of increased revenue in the form of tax increases. Michigan will bankrupt a majority of its citizens in only 3-5 years at this rate, it is only a matter of time...

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Location: We are located in Caro MI and serving all of Michigan
3 posts, read 10,456 times
Lightbulb Holding our Politicians Accountable!!!

I'm glad we have a forum like this that we can be heard.

Taking more of our hard earned money and using extortion by means of holding public state provided services over our head by means of shutdowns as leverage to cause opposition to greater state spending, to go along with this is CRAZY!!!

I have been in business for 26 years. The only way to balance any budget where there is a deficit is to STOP SPENDING. NOT going and finding more to spend. Who put the chimp at the controls again???

We need to start laying off Senators and State Representatives. Folks this is dangerous stuff when this kind of political posturing is going on. These people in elected positions have absolutely NO business furthering hidden agendas in the name of representing you and me!!!

Is there a quick fix. No there is not. But long term, there must be a budget adopted that is far less in spending projections than what has obviously taken place in the past.

Rotational layoffs across the board for the highest to the lowest so that everyone suffers equally are a must. that includes the top starting with Granholm and Cherry taking turns sitting at home without a pay check watching soaps right along with the rest of the ranks. Nobody is untouchable if it is to ever be made right.

Everyone that went after this tax hike needs to be identified and pro-actively petitioned for removal from office immediately!

I would welcome comments.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM

121 posts, read 546,009 times
Politically and economically, the state is a disaster. Bunch of Looney Tune characters in Lansing who threaten to withhold services while they look for more money to spend.

I left Michigan in May. My brother left in June. The rest of my family is trying to leave. My dad's business is so over-taxed, he's getting ready to leave the place he's called home his whole life.

As far as I'm concerned, the state SHOULD sink. If the crooks in Lansing aren't bad enough, then look to the UAW who threatened to really hurt a returning General Motors all because they can't deal with growing pains. Like Michigan's wonderful politicans, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. If you ask me, it sounds like powerbrokers in Michigan are no smarter than the mouse that continuously runs into the electric shock machine...back and forth, back and forth...never learning.

Such ashame. I say we help Michigan to continually lose federal and state representation. The fewer politicians that are in the picture, the better!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
Politically and economically, the state is a disaster. Bunch of Looney Tune characters in Lansing who threaten to withhold services while they look for more money to spend.

I left Michigan in May. My brother left in June. The rest of my family is trying to leave. My dad's business is so over-taxed, he's getting ready to leave the place he's called home his whole life.

As far as I'm concerned, the state SHOULD sink. If the crooks in Lansing aren't bad enough, then look to the UAW who threatened to really hurt a returning General Motors all because they can't deal with growing pains. Like Michigan's wonderful politicans, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. If you ask me, it sounds like powerbrokers in Michigan are no smarter than the mouse that continuously runs into the electric shock machine...back and forth, back and forth...never learning.

Such ashame. I say we help Michigan to continually lose federal and state representation. The fewer politicians that are in the picture, the better!
Yeah, less representation at the federal level so that Michigan gets even less money every year.

I was wondering what increases in spending they were looking at doing that some people have mentioned?? I was under the impression that state services are being cut to the tune of $400 - $500 Million.

Thanks!

BTW Andre5140, guess you can't take your own advice, eh?

//www.city-data.com/forum/1289826-post7.html

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

121 posts, read 546,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yeah, less representation at the federal level so that Michigan gets even less money every year.

I was wondering what increases in spending they were looking at doing that some people have mentioned?? I was under the impression that state services are being cut to the tune of $400 - $500 Million.

Thanks!

BTW Andre5140, guess you can't take your own advice, eh?

//www.city-data.com/forum/1289826-post7.html
Hey now, cut me some slack. We're all just here to complain, right

In all seriousness though, I do love Michigan. My last post was to vent frustration at Lansing. It's such a beautiful place and if the government there would striaghten up, I'd love to move back. I do prefer it over Arizona...just don't know how much longer it'll be affordable. Plus, I really wish Michigan had more jobs in my field.

Kudos for the "investigative reporting" though!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
Hey now, cut me some slack. We're all just here to complain, right

In all seriousness though, I do love Michigan. My last post was to vent frustration at Lansing. It's such a beautiful place and if the government there would striaghten up, I'd love to move back. I do prefer it over Arizona...just don't know how much longer it'll be affordable. Plus, I really wish Michigan had more jobs in my field.

Kudos for the "investigative reporting" though!
No problem. It's difficult to stay positive, I know.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM

25 posts, read 148,408 times
What do we the citizens need to do to get the recall process started? I also agree that this is just the beginning. Next year they will want more and more money from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan