Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Due to work demands, I am unable to take a vacation during the summer months.

Last year, we headed up to Duluth and northern Minnesota in April which was beautiful, but most of the tourist attractions and various museums were closed for the season.

If we were to head to Traverse City in mid-October would we find many attractions open or should we just wait until we can take a summer trip. I am not really into winter sports and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Last year, we headed up to Duluth and northern Minnesota in April which was beautiful, but most of the tourist attractions and various museums were closed for the season.

If we were to head to Traverse City in mid-October would we find many attractions open or should we just wait until we can take a summer trip. I am not really into winter sports and the like.
Well, fall colors, Lake Michigan, and the bays are an attraction for many. That's when I make it to the Bear or other places in the area. Many places stay open as long as the weather is nice. I realize that's an incomplete answer - I don't know about museums.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Well, there's definitely a lot of people in the area in mid October, if only for fall colors sightseeing. All of the wineries are definitely open then. I would say that most things are probably open in mid October.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM

391 posts, read 906,380 times
In mid-October your main problem will be finding a decent room and an open restaurant table.
Almost everything in NW lower MI is open and hopen for biz thru the 3rd week in Oct. After that it changes a bit, but most places are still there.
Fall color time is a very popular thing, and this year the wineries will probably have harvested everything but some red grapes and late harvest whites.
It's a good time to visit. Welcome!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM

24 posts, read 39,851 times
I'm with Cosmic, finding a hotel/motel room in October is going to be difficult. My anniversary is in late October and the times we decide go North, we have to book in advance. Fall color tours are very popular and places fill us quick. I've found that the farther North you go from Saginaw the harder it is to find decent lodging, but with a little patience and a couple smartphone apps, it can be done!

Good luck!

MC

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
You can't beat that area in October...except for the U.P, but not in the L.P

Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
In many ways a trip to TC in the fall is better than the summer in my book. I agree with Michmoldman. I don't know of any better area during October in the LP. Try to get up to Suttons Bay and Leland too. It's not that far away and would be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan