Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM

35 posts, read 190,031 times

Advertisements

I want to move back to Michigan. My dad brought us to Florida in the seventies - bad move that was. I hate Florida, I'm sick of the heat, humidity, storms, property taxes, government job cuts, etc.

Is it hard to get a job with the state or local counties, school systems, (clerical/administrative support) or even in private industry? I have 29 years of experience in those type of jobs. Is it just factory type jobs that are closing their doors?

I came from Rochester originally, so that's the area I'd like to go back to. Any input would be appreciated!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
You wouldn't have such an exodus of younger people if any kind of entry-level white collar jobs were available. The labor market is truly a disaster.

My hometown is Rochester Hills ... I go back to visit parents a few times per year. No one cooks better pork chops!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM

66 posts, read 339,908 times
I left Michigan in 1979 after graduating from Michigan State, and for many years could not imagine moving back. But after living in California (LA, SF, Berkeley, and Visalia) and across the South, I am ready to go home.

Even my native California wife is softening, after living in the South for the last 10 years.

No place better than home ...

Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Amen to moving back home!! I am counting the days until I leave this armpit of a State I live in now. If you guys think Michigan is in such bad shape, look at Maine, our Governor doesn't even care that we rank 48th for business and in his own words "same old, same old". Love the idea that my family will be back in West Michigan in less than a years time. Better jobs, better pay, lower cost of living, better schools, and Lake Michigan... need I say more?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 AM

59 posts, read 236,170 times
I feel the same way, Bydand; I get to spend the next year in Michigan and I can't wait to get back home! Now, if I could just figure out how to make the move permanent . . .

Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,172 times
Unhappy Unfortunately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywherebutpinellas View Post
I want to move back to Michigan. My dad brought us to Florida in the seventies - bad move that was. I hate Florida, I'm sick of the heat, humidity, storms, property taxes, government job cuts, etc.

Is it hard to get a job with the state or local counties, school systems, (clerical/administrative support) or even in private industry? I have 29 years of experience in those type of jobs. Is it just factory type jobs that are closing their doors?

I came from Rochester originally, so that's the area I'd like to go back to. Any input would be appreciated!
Typical Admin support jobs are hard to come by and cut throat to obtain. State of Mich government jobs are definitely not available (those that have been brought in before the hiring freeze were $10/hr temp jobs with no benefits and a 1 yr max contract time), and they are flirting with the idea of 30 day layoff for those that do have jobs with the state. Because of state budget woes, local governments are cutting back or just not filling positions, and school systems are barely scraping by. My hometown of Mason (just south of Lansing) was have budget issues this past year, and that is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing in Mason - it is usually an area they conserve their spending, save for a rainy day, and plan out their spending carefully. You *may* have some luck on the west side of the state. I have not kept too close of an eye on the job market in GR/Muskegon areas.

May I offer a suggestion? Take a look in other areas of the Midwest.... There are other areas that are working hard to rebound, and some that have already started a healthy path of diversified future. There are other Midwestern states that are just as wonderful to live and work in.. and worst case scerio, you can use that as a stepping stone back in to Michigan once the economy issues have been worked out. Or, you might find a new little piece of heaven...

Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM

84 posts, read 364,144 times
Default bubbagirl...

Was wondering what other states in the Midwest you might be thinking of. I've been watching this state's forum with interest as I too had been planning to return "home" someday (in Arizona now) but the news of the economic situation in Michigan troubles me.

My sister is in North Dakota (west of Jamestown) and loves it there (low CoL, good neighbors), and I have a good friend who left here for Nebraska several years ago and will never return.

The notion of another Midwestern state appeals to me right now...

Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM

222 posts, read 811,021 times
Default Other Choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
Was wondering what other states in the Midwest you might be thinking of. I've been watching this state's forum with interest as I too had been planning to return "home" someday (in Arizona now) but the news of the economic situation in Michigan troubles me.

My sister is in North Dakota (west of Jamestown) and loves it there (low CoL, good neighbors), and I have a good friend who left here for Nebraska several years ago and will never return.

The notion of another Midwestern state appeals to me right now...
I would second the idea of checking out other areas of the Midwest, although I am hearing that Indiana and Ohio are not doing so well either. Sounds like the unemployment rates in Nebraska and the Dakota's are much lower, (3 or 4%), cost of living is low, although the winters are a little tougher.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM

84 posts, read 364,144 times
Default michiganbob

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing too. Those places are at least more stable.

As far as the weather is concerned, it seems like more of a wash to me. Winters may be longer due to the latitude, but there's less precipitation (at least in the western-Midwestern states) -- less snow to shovel. And no lake effect to speak of, at least not in the Plains.

But that wind...

Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
I would second the idea of checking out other areas of the Midwest, although I am hearing that Indiana and Ohio are not doing so well either. Sounds like the unemployment rates in Nebraska and the Dakota's are much lower, (3 or 4%), cost of living is low, although the winters are a little tougher.
Indiana is not the place to move...I left Michigan to get married in the mid-80's and can't wait to move back. State by state, I think everyone is experiencing the same problems with property taxes and foreclosures...might as well be in the state that would make you happiest...and that state for me is Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan