Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM

25 posts, read 148,193 times

Advertisements

After todays fiasco in the state goverment it is getting closer to our decision to leave. Really, what states are the best to look at as far as economy, job market , overall quality of living?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 30,105 times
ditto that, 4 more yrs til i can collect my retirement, and medical, and i`am outa here. prob. fla. great weather, and no state income tax.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeMI View Post
After todays fiasco in the state goverment it is getting closer to our decision to leave. Really, what states are the best to look at as far as economy, job market , overall quality of living?
The states with the best economy and job market right now are:
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska
Arizona
Nevada
All of these states have had strong economic growth in the last several years. Some states are quite rural, however. You might want to take that into consideration if you are coming from the more heavily populated eastern US.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 AM

146 posts, read 639,222 times
Though I don't have any intention of leaving Michigan,
Idaho really has everything going for it. It's gorgeous,
unspoiled, safe and the economy is great.
I have friends in Coeur d Alene whose pastime is
telling me how perfect Idaho is. Pretty much everyone
who goes out there falls in love with it.

No end in sight for Idaho's growth - USATODAY.com

I opened the paper today and found out ....I'm right!

Last edited by Wabbit; 10-02-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM

560 posts, read 2,181,847 times
Our family re located to Las Vegas from Michigan almost 1 1/2 years ago and it has been the best thing we have ever done. There is no state income tax here either and the economy is booming. In addition, the number of Michigan plates we have seen lately reminds me of Florida during Spring Break

Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,769,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The states with the best economy and job market right now are:
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Alaska
Arizona
Nevada
All of these states have had strong economic growth in the last several years. Some states are quite rural, however. You might want to take that into consideration if you are coming from the more heavily populated eastern US.
Very rural. Aren't most of the jobs in those first five in mining and other heavy industries? Haven't most of the people who were recruited to Wyoming from Michigan returned because it sucked so bad?

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,181,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Very rural. Aren't most of the jobs in those first five in mining and other heavy industries? Haven't most of the people who were recruited to Wyoming from Michigan returned because it sucked so bad?
Uhmmmm, your point would be???? Don't know about Wyoming but the rest may have rural parts but so does MI. I think what most people who are leaving really want is just the opportunity to be able to work and provide a living for their families. I don't know about you, but I would be willing to do pretty much anything to make sure my children have a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. If it means I have to move to a "rural state" and work HARD then so be it....at least these states HAVE jobs.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,769,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Uhmmmm, your point would be???? Don't know about Wyoming but the rest may have rural parts but so does MI. I think what most people who are leaving really want is just the opportunity to be able to work and provide a living for their families. I don't know about you, but I would be willing to do pretty much anything to make sure my children have a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. If it means I have to move to a "rural state" and work HARD then so be it....at least these states HAVE jobs.
To each his own. Michigan is a bit TOO rural for me, so anything more rural would be out of the question.

And Nevada is just a horribly ugly moonscape of a place, but as long as you're working long hours, you don't have to look at it I guess. All just my opinion.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 17,376 times
I was born in Lansing and lived here for 30 years, but after being laid off from job after job and struggling to live paycheck to paycheck, my finally had enough and we moved to West Tennessee near UTM. It was the best thing we could have done! The rent down here is more realistic and not to mention the numerous employment opportunities that are available. Although, I would say the only downside is the high taxes on food here, but other than that I can not see myself coming back unless the economy improves or until Jennifer Granholm is GONE!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM

198 posts, read 505,723 times
Moving out of Michigan - my experiences FWIW....

I moved my family to the North Dallas suburbs in Texas in June of 07. It's a pretty place with lots of flat to rolling landscape with horse and cattle pasture. Not as many trees as I'd like but still nice in its own way. We are close to all the aminities of the greater Dallas area but still live in a very rural setting. We like the schools and picked an area with smaller schools on purpose. The kids seem to like thier new schools and are involved with band and athletics. The people have been very friendly. We are very home sick which is to be expected but there are job opportuinities here - the economy is diverse and there is a stable housing market. The local AM talk radio shows all play the Jeff Daniels "Do business in Michigan because its such a great place" commercials. Wonder how prospective businesses will feel about this now? Moving from SE Michigan I think the cost of living is a push. There is no state income tax but I think they more than make up for it with local property taxes and sales taxes. Water and electricity are also very expensive. If you are coming from the East or West coast (there are numerous people here who have) then it's probably a great deal in Texas due mainly to the cost of housing. You get a lot for your money here in terms of housing. I miss the trees in Michigan and the lakes but how can we enjoy them while constantlly worrying about a stable job, and what will my kids (both teenagers in highschool do) once they get out of school? What does the next 3-5 years hold for Michigan? It might take a generation to turn things around. I had the chance to take a good job here so when I added it all up we decided to roll the dice - so here we are in Texas for better or worse. I won't say it's the best thing I've ever done and I won't say it's the worst. I've been told it takes at least a year to adjust to a major move like this so I'm witholding judgement for now. For those who do decide to make the move research the area first. Visit if you can maybe even rent or lease before comitting to the area permanently before buying a house. Best of luck to all who stay and to those who decide to take a chance and see some other area of the country. BTW - I'm starting to see Comerica bank branches pop up in various areas around the Plano area.

Regards, from North Texas.
GRHTEX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan