Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 9,111 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a change of scenery. I'm originally from MI (born in Kalamazoo). My family moved away when I was in elementary school so I know A LOT has changed since then. We recently visited family up there (2 years ago in Kalamazoo, Portage, Holland, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids), and ever since I cannot shake the urge to move back. We are currently residing in AR (horrible summers!). It will be at least a year before we can make the move. We are looking for a good school for our son, lots of activities to participate in (both as adults alone and as a family) so of course a family friendly neighborhood is a must, and we are wanting to buy our house with at least 1.25 acres (preferably more). Can anyone suggest good areas to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There are probably a hundred cities in Michigan that will meet your basic needs.

I suggest you look for something on or near the water on the Lake Michigan side.

Mostly I just wanted to respond to congratulate you. You are one of the ten people in the US who seem to know that a lot is two words. (pet peeve).

Also congratulations on your return. We returend after 18 years in California and usually have few or no regrets (except sometimes in February/March).

Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM

HA HA! I too cannot stand when people use a lot incorrectly. Also, thank you for the advice. What schools would you suggest in the area, if you can? My son is currently in 1st grade, so he will be in 2nd possibly going into 3rd by the time we move. I cannot wait to return. We have also been away for about 18 years. Far too long to be stuck in the South.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
On the west side, I cannot help with school. I can help with Detroit Metro (s.e.) michigan, but that is not where you are looking as far as I know.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM

No, I am definitely looking on the west side. Thank you anyway though.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are probably a hundred cities in Michigan that will meet your basic needs.

I suggest you look for something on or near the water on the Lake Michigan side.

Mostly I just wanted to respond to congratulate you. You are one of the ten people in the US who seem to know that a lot is two words. (pet peeve).

Also congratulations on your return. We returend after 18 years in California and usually have few or no regrets (except sometimes in February/March).

....I'm number nine- LOL

Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM

235 posts, read 536,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrogers713 View Post
No, I am definitely looking on the west side. Thank you anyway though.
Have you narrowed it down to an area? You mentioned a few westernish towns where you have family. Any one in particular? Where do you plan to work? What specific types of things do you like to do?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
You might want to look at some of the suburbs of Grand Rapids. There is so much going on in that "metro" area with the revitalization of downtown Grand Rapids, the availability of medical care (did you see Medical Mile~wow!) and the cultural offerings, restaurants, proximity to Lake Michigan are just the tip of the advantages to the area.

Rockford might be a possibility as well, more land available for buying/building, but still close enough to take advantage of the Grand Rapids "scene".

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdeconcentrate View Post
Have you narrowed it down to an area? You mentioned a few westernish towns where you have family. Any one in particular? Where do you plan to work? What specific types of things do you like to do?
Well I know the Portage/Kalamazoo area pretty well and the Holland/Grand Rapids area. I found a few houses I liked in the Portage Kalamazoo area, but not very many in the Holland/Grand Rapids area. We are looking for something preferably older (1950s and before) that will be a cheaper mortgage. A fixer upper, but move in ready. 3+ beds 2+ baths and at least 1.30 acres (this is how much land we have now) preferably more. We want a top notch school for our son. As far as work, my husband is in college for his automotive (repair) degree and I'm going for accounting so if either of those areas have easy to find jobs in those fields that would be our preference. We all love outdoor activities; hiking, walking, taking the dogs out, camping, fishing, sports, etc. I'm a foodie as well. We also frequent the movies, dining out, and many kids activities.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
You might want to look at some of the suburbs of Grand Rapids. There is so much going on in that "metro" area with the revitalization of downtown Grand Rapids, the availability of medical care (did you see Medical Mile~wow!) and the cultural offerings, restaurants, proximity to Lake Michigan are just the tip of the advantages to the area.

Rockford might be a possibility as well, more land available for buying/building, but still close enough to take advantage of the Grand Rapids "scene".
Thank you. How are the schools in that area? The school, jobs and home are at the top of our priority list. How does the Grand Rapids area differ from Kalamazoo (comparison)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan