Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

My family and I visited Arizona back in 2008. We all liked it, my family wanted to move there and then quickly changed their mind upon our return to Michigan. Since I have always pictured my future here in Michigan. A position has opened in our Phoenix plant and as much as I want to move up in the company I am not sure if it will be worth the trouble. I may like it there I may not. But to go for the experience with the desire to return here in a few years makes me wonder is it really worth the trouble. The furthest I have ever moved was up north from Southfield. I also have an 11 year old son, I hate the thought of uprooting him and then bringing him back. Has anyone gone there and just hated it? Regretted it? There is really no place in Michigan for me to move up to at this position and this is the 2nd time it's been open there ( thats another concern, did he suck? Are they that hard to work for? Or are they so bad people get promoted within a year?) Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
All I can offer is that I have a friend who lived in Phoenix for many years but moved several months ago. One of the factors in her decision was she couldn't go through another summer of such high heat. I've always had this friend to give me a reality check when I complain too much about our winters. It's the opposite in AZ in that during the summer my friend literally never went outside her house. She would watch "The Last Place on Earth" in an effort to try and feel cooler. She would tell me how beautiful the desert is but finally got to the point where she missed being near a large body of water. I don't know if this helps you any, but I guess part of what might make you either happy or regretfull about a move is how much you would like the type of summers they have out there.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
You'll never know unless you give it a try!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I only know one person who has lived in Arizona (my step sister), and she moved back to Grand Rapids after 3 years. She basically said the scenery and sunshine are very nice at first, but she grew tired of the heat (stayed inside all summer), and missed the greenery, water, and seasons in Michigan. But the biggest factor was that she wanted to be closer to family.

However, she moved there for a teaching job, so I'm not positive that she wanted to move to Arizona in the first place. And she moved there with her fiance, who was also from Michigan, so there was obviously a lot of forces pulling them back.

Not trying to talk you out of it, this is just the only person I know of that has moved there, so that's the story.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
It's hot. And stays hot. If you have only lived in MI, and you really like the climate of MI? Trust me....don't do it. You will positively hate it, seriously.

And unlike Michigan83 up there? I AM trying to talk you out of it! LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM

All joking aside...I lived 40 miles from Yuma for several years. I was born and raised in California and lived there for 40 years. AZ is a lot of desert- there isn't a whole lot of water, and if there is? Everyone is there. The heat will stick around, hotter than blazes for at least eight months out of the year, and snow will be a thing of the past. They don't have anything even remotely resembling "seasons" there- you have Hot, Hotter, Somewhat hot, and Very Warm. Culturally, it has a hispanic flavor to it there, as hispanics are in the majority. That isn't a bad thing, please, don't get me wrong- but if you've only been in Michigan, living there will be like living in a different country (but the food is to die for, seriously, lol). There are some seriously frightening things going on there with the border, and drugs- to the point that there is one area (I can't remember exactly where, but by a major metropolitan area) that Americans are told to stay away from, it's so dangerous- I heard that it's all the way up to 80 miles INSIDE the US.

Although I lived in CA my entire life, and I've been to AZ and NM in particular more times than I can count...you couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere near or in any of those states. I always thought it was really interesting how a person could go from state to state in this country, and have it be so completely different that it was almost like literally visiting another country- and I did love California. But- things are different there now. They aren't peaceful at all. I lived in MI for a few years, and we are moving back next month- and I've pretty well adopted MI as my home state, forever after, Amen, lol- Michigan, hard though it is job-wise, is peaceful, beautiful, green, lakes-just...a beautiful, beautiful state. I guess it would come down to how important moving up in your job is- and what you would be giving up (that's important to you) to move.

But I don't know, maybe you WOULD like it there(?)- that's just my take on it, having lived on that side of the country.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM

P.S.- there are no "Pics of Spectacular Arizona" on the AZ boards, either.

Jussssst sayin', lol

Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
I came to see that my friend in Phoenix spent more time never leaving her home due to extreme heat than I did for the opposite reason of cold weather. After all these years I would have a very hard time living in a state without our Great Lakes and the many wonderful smaller lakes.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
the heat around yuma is very intense but a lot easier to deal with (for most people) than an average michigan winter. If anything, you don't have to bother shoveling and driving in snow.

I think Arizona is boring myself. By that, I mean city living. Phoenix metro has less to do Detroit metro but there are more nature/outdoors stuff to do. From Phoenix, you're about a 2 hour drive from flagstaff. Besides thinking the grand canyon you should be thinking great skiing and snowboarding. Much better than can be found in Michigan. On the flip side, phoenix is about a 4 hour drive from puerto penasco (Mexico) which is on the sea of cortez. great fishing, great beaches, and warm waters. Phoenix is also about a 5 hour drive from San Diego. Even better fishing there on the pacific, plus you can do surfing. There are also some lakes nearby phoenix, but they're more party spots for Californians on spring break.

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 07-27-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
I think people are more outdoorsy in Arizona than Michigan. I haven't looked, but someone could pull up average BMI or something to settle this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan