Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 PM

34 posts, read 204,580 times

Advertisements

The now departed troll wrote:

I wish we could hang a shingle out that reads "This state is full",

I guess I'm showing my age, but this sounds like the late 70's/early 80's when lots of Michigan people left for Texas looking for work. Most, though not all, came back. From what I heard, Texas started giving jobs to their natives first and yes, it got full after awhile.

Sheesh, it's deja vu all over again! Except we're not waiting in long lines for gas. YET.

And thankfully, interest rates are still low. I remember when they reached the high teens. Hardly anyone bought a house or borrowed money. There was a housing crisis then of a different kind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Look at it this way......... the more of us who leave, the less competition there will be for the few available jobs.
Exactly! And that strategy is working. I'm starting to see "Help Wanted" signs again and even new businesses opening. I even saw one yesterday in PONTIAC, people.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
I wouldnt be surprise if Michigan sees a puddle ( drop ) in its population. As I studied the growth in Michigan major cities, they all are decreasing instead of growing. It was very rare for me to find even a town in Michigan that was growing a spike in its population, this all began to worry me. Not to long ago before my time Michigan was known to be a future rich state, and very successful. Look like that hypothesis change. I dont know what happen to Michigan, and why its economy is in such a horrible position than others. As it all started to come to me, apparenlty because Michigan relies on the term Motor State. Sadly the Moter State is starting to leave, and that was what lead to Detroit population in such a big increase and other cities that was manly factored by GM. So maybe it is time for Michigan to no longer be a Moter State, because eventually as it may seem GM is moving out bla.... I just hope Michigan gets back on its feet, and the Moter to the State comes back and many other opportunities that will help the economy.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
What's actually worrying me these days is that MI might rebound too soon - yes, you heard me right. From what I understand, the future for GM looks pretty bright. They are doing quite well overseas and their recent offerings have a much better pulse of the market than Chrysler and Ford. If GM starts to do as well as people think, then it will be business as usual in MI with no major reforms. Then in 10-15 years, we will get all the chicken little predictions again. It's starting to get a bit old.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 64,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Then in 10-15 years, we will get all the chicken little predictions again. It's starting to get a bit old.
Thats what I am worried about. The auto market is on a 20 year cycle and its taking way to long to pull out of this downward spiral. Time to leave.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy1960 View Post
I guess I'm showing my age, but this sounds like the late 70's/early 80's when lots of Michigan people left for Texas looking for work. Most, though not all, came back. From what I heard, Texas started giving jobs to their natives first and yes, it got full after awhile.
IIRC it was even sillier than that. Texans were pouring into Michigan, thinking there were jobs here, and Michiganders were pouring into Texas, thinking there were jobs there. In fact, nobody had any jobs to offer in either state. You still meet a lot of people around here with cowpoke accents...

Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
What's actually worrying me these days is that MI might rebound too soon - yes, you heard me right. From what I understand, the future for GM looks pretty bright. They are doing quite well overseas and their recent offerings have a much better pulse of the market than Chrysler and Ford. If GM starts to do as well as people think, then it will be business as usual in MI with no major reforms. Then in 10-15 years, we will get all the chicken little predictions again. It's starting to get a bit old.
Much agreed. Improvement will only occur after it gets much worse.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy1960 View Post
The now departed troll wrote:

I wish we could hang a shingle out that reads "This state is full",

Sheesh, it's deja vu all over again! Except we're not waiting in long lines for gas. YET.

And thankfully, interest rates are still low. I remember when they reached the high teens. Hardly anyone bought a house or borrowed money. There was a housing crisis then of a different kind.

I'm with ya. Oh yes I remember the gas wars to well. down around the Pontiac area they could be scary at best. People fighting over gas.
I do know allot who moved to Texas and Florida and yes moved back to MI.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
IIRC it was even sillier than that. Texans were pouring into Michigan, thinking there were jobs here, and Michiganders were pouring into Texas, thinking there were jobs there. In fact, nobody had any jobs to offer in either state. You still meet a lot of people around here with cowpoke accents...
The guys I knew going to Texas were getting jobs on the oil rigs. Dirty work but paid well.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:23 PM

At a crummy time like this, a job is a job. And the more oil-rig workers we have, the more everyone's Lestoil stock goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan