Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times

Advertisements

I don't see what the difference would be in a rent to own, or a land contract if the buyer ends up refinancing-other than the balloon pmt (Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 AM

214 posts, read 673,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I don't see what the difference would be in a rent to own, or a land contract if the buyer ends up refinancing-other than the balloon pmt (Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!) LOL
There isn't.

Land contracts are a "carve out" in the law for rent to own scenarios. There are a ton of administrative rules and laws in place that protect both land contract vendors and vendees.

People who do "rent to own" are unscrupulous, and they want to avoid LC law. Anybody offering rent to own is a scammer, or is just ignorant of the law. If it's an equitable mortgage, no matter what the contract says, it would fall under LC law.

MI has no such "rent to own" statutes.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
I'm sure that not everyone who offers a rent-to-own contract is a scammer, but whether you can find someone to offer either rent-to-own or a Land Contract--it all depends on the terms of the contract.

I have entered into several Land Contracts--both as a Buyer and as a Seller--and the terms of each were very different. Not all Land Contracts require a balloon payments, either. As they say: everything is negotiable. You just need to find someone who is willing to negotiate such a deal. Good luck at that.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
Smile Roselandco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs40110 View Post
Craigslist really seems to be the only place I've found them. Once in a while realtors are helpful. There's one in Jackson who specializes, but I can't think of the name right now.
Be very careful with a land contract. I have friends who were buying one, which went into foreclosure (people they were making payments to were no making them to the bank) and they ended up out a LOT of money. When asked what the recourse was they said none, as a land contract on a home with a mortgage is generally null in void.
ONE more helpful link, I actually bought a (large) lot of land through this company roselandco.com
It's a division of first national bank. Hope that hel.ps.

Hello, I know you have put this post of some years ago, but I would like to know do you still have your lot through Roselandco. I am interested in buying land from them in Michigan but I do not want monthly high notes. How was the process when purchasing your lot through Roselandco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan