Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times

Advertisements

We'll be gone by the end of this year. If we don't move to a completely different region of the U.S., we will at least move back to our home state of Ohio. Our daughter attends a state university here, but she is looking to transfer elsewhere, so in state tuition rates will no longer be a factor to keep us here.

Michigan is a very nice state with a lot of things going for it, and we've had a pretty good life here. It's just that after almost 16 years and finding ourselves at a crossroads in life (brand new empty nesters, dh just got laid off and could work anywhere now, kids want to leave the state), we are ready to move on and see what else life has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,082,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We'll be gone by the end of this year. If we don't move to a completely different region of the U.S., we will at least move back to our home state of Ohio. Our daughter attends a state university here, but she is looking to transfer elsewhere, so in state tuition rates will no longer be a factor to keep us here.

Michigan is a very nice state with a lot of things going for it, and we've had a pretty good life here. It's just that after almost 16 years and finding ourselves at a crossroads in life (brand new empty nesters, dh just got laid off and could work anywhere now, kids want to leave the state), we are ready to move on and see what else life has to offer.
I guess Phoenix is out of the question, eh?

I've seen more than a few midwesterners get out of Dodge after a summer or 2 here and can understand the lure of going back "home".

Sorry to hear that MI didn't work out for you.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I guess Phoenix is out of the question, eh?

I've seen more than a few midwesterners get out of Dodge after a summer or 2 here and can understand the lure of going back "home".

Sorry to hear that MI didn't work out for you.

Good luck.
LOL, nope no Phoenix this time around, Yaz.

I wouldn't say that Michigan didn't work out for us, considering that we have been here since 1997, excepting that brief interlude in Phoenix. It just feels like time to move on, only permanently this time, and to a place better suited to us and not quite so "extreme" as compared to the Midwest. Closer to my widowed mother, perhaps. Closer to where our adult kids settle, which definitely will not be in Michigan, if you ask them. Somewhere that dh can find a job that won't expose his middle-aged body to the elements quite so harshly as here...he has a job offer in Lexington, KY but we're not sure if that's where we want to be. Time will tell...but we've already decided that we will not stay here much longer. LIfe is too short to stay in one place for too long.

Last edited by canudigit; 01-08-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 AM

651 posts, read 705,106 times
I moved from Michigan because of the weather and real estate was falling fast. If you guys remember Michigan started into the real estate doldrums around 2005. It was not bad but things slowed when the rest of the country was still booming. I was told that I should keep my property and sell later in a few years when things picked back up. I made a decision that I did not think or agree that things were going to pick back up. I thought that they would fall farther and decided to sell before they crashed. I could have been wrong but as it turned out it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I love Michigan in the summer. From Traverse City to the UP, but I also hate the winter, the cold, the slop the salt, frozen ground, shoveling the roof, salt build up on my car mats and all the rest.
So I ran to Florida and waited to buy and bought just about a year ago and now prices are going up very nicely. My condo rental went from 65 thousand to 120 thousand in just over a year and even places like Lehigh Acres is running out of real estate for sale.

don't know if this is the end all for us but I know I am not going to live in snow any more. At least not Michigan snow or any state north of Kansas City. I will always miss the summers and places in North Michigan, personally I would not give a plug nickel for south Michigan. But the North MI is a wonderful place. Its even beautiful on a post card in winter. I just can't do the snow and cold.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
don't know if this is the end all for us but I know I am not going to live in snow any more. At least not Michigan snow or any state north of Kansas City. I will always miss the summers and places in North Michigan, personally I would not give a plug nickel for south Michigan. But the North MI is a wonderful place. Its even beautiful on a post card in winter. I just can't do the snow and cold.
There is no snow and cold anymore...lol

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
There is no snow and cold anymore...lol
Yeah, no kidding... I literally have not used my snow shovel or snow blower once this season. I have had to scrape my windshield maybe twice. There was one stretch where it snowed lightly for a couple of days straight, but it melted as it hit the driveway. When it finally stopped snowing, there was more grass showing in my yard than when it started!

But, unlike the guy who moved to Florida, having a winter without snow makes me like winter LESS, not more. I find this weather to be extremely boring!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
But, unlike the guy who moved to Florida, having a winter without snow makes me like winter LESS, not more. I find this weather to be extremely boring!
Yeah, and ugly...everything, including the sky, the grass, the earth, and the trees, is gray, black, or brown, plus it's still cold. At least snow gives everything a crisp, bright appearance and the sun shines after a good snow.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,008 times
But....around the 22nd...things are gonna get mighty interesting around here for at least a few weeks. Stay tuned to your weather stations and you will see what I mean!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,273 times
We've lost so much snow where I live that yesterday I was able to take my two mile jogging trek through a woods and over two big hills. This is my normal non-winter run, and I had bare ground all the way. This is unheard of in January. As someone who doesn't care much for snow I loved it, but the long term consequences have me worried. I am expecting another cold snap in spring so that farmers might lose their apple crop again. If it's another summer of extreme heat and drought then wildfires and continuing loss of the lakes is going to be terrible. It's even been on world news that it has been warmer in California than up here in the northlands. Weather patterns are being turned upside down and will only continue to get worse I'm afraid.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Last time I had to blow snow out of the driveway because there was more than a couple inches was almost 2 years ago. Never ran it last winter and so far haven't needed it this winter yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan