Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Psst, you realize that 313Weather above said he would rather live in Detroit than Texas, right? He didn't say Michigan, he said Detroit.

Yeah there are plenty of squalor in Texas, but saying one would rather live in Detroit than a state of 26 million people with a GDP the size of Russia (which has over 100 million people) is just not really worth listening to. People are actually moving into Texas, while people are still escaping the zombie plague of Detroit as well as its surrounding suburbs.
And yet Michigan has a lower poverty rate. Even the Detroit area has less poverty that MANY areas in Texas. So number of people moving into a State doesn't actually mean it is a better quality of life, or even better economy on the personal level; just more people moving there. I would rather have people moving out of my State, than a growing number of poverty stricken individuals in my State the rest has to support. To each his own though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
At this moment, I'd choose to live in a number of states over Michigan. These include, for a variety of reasons (not just economical), the states of: Colorado, California, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Better economic opportunities, friendlier culture, more active/healthier lifestyles, better climate, and beautiful landscape are all the factors I would consider.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
I'm in the process of looking for a job out of state to move out of Michigan. It's going slowly, but I am pretty sure I will be gone from this state some day. Don't hate it by any means, but it is time to try a different region (not the midwest!) and better job opportunities.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

211 posts, read 299,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
My old roommate moved to Denver which I got to visit early last year. She is an assistant manager at a high-end restaurant and seems to make a pretty nice living. I did notice a lot of Michiganders. Beautiful scenery, and the economy there seemed to be bustling! Not sure about the summer season but I was definitely in heaven as I love skiing. The server at one of the places I dined at told me he makes about 50-60K and has summers off, plus an unlimited ski pass for days off during the winter. I was kinda jealous of him lol.

I feel like Colorado is what Michigan aspires to be. Everyone talks about natural beauty here in Michigan. I don't see how people in Michigan think Michigan is more beautiful than Colorado... Furthermore, everyone around Michigan loves talking about sking and winter sports. The sking in Michigan is extremely icy and doesn't have any real mountains to ski off of.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Psst, you do realize that Detroit is NOT Michigan, it is just a small corner of the State. The question isn't would you move from Detroit, but rather would you move from Michigan (the State). After living in Texas I can assure you I have seen squalor and deplorable living conditions there, not all of Texas is such a "bustling civilization" as you seem to think.
1. Detroit is a part of Michigan. It's not some separate entity.

2. I like big cities. In that regard, Detroit is the closest thing to that (and the only option) Michigan offers, which going forward will no longer be the case with this Detroit Future City crap. I'm a liberal and I'm not an outdoors type of person, so I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in Michigan.

However, I think I've made it clear that Chicago is my ideal place (it's in the midwest, as I do enjoy Midwestern weather, and it has everything Detroit offered during its prime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Psst, you realize that 313Weather above said he would rather live in Detroit than Texas, right? He didn't say Michigan, he said Detroit.

Yeah there are plenty of squalor in Texas, but saying one would rather live in Detroit than a state of 26 million people with a GDP the size of Russia (which has over 100 million people) is just not really worth listening to. People are actually moving into Texas, while people are still escaping the zombie plague of Detroit as well as its surrounding suburbs.
As many problems as Detroit has, it's paradise compared to the thought of living in the same state of George W. Bush, Rick Perry and Ron Paul. Just my personal preference though.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
1. Detroit is a part of Michigan. It's not some separate entity.
Never said it wasn't part of Michigan. What I said is that it doesn't represent the entire State.

Quote:
2. I like big cities. In that regard, Detroit is the closest thing to that (and the only option Michigan offers), which going forward will no longer be the case with this Detroit Future City crap. I'm a liberal and I'm not an outdoors type of person, so I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in Michigan.
That's fine for you. For a lot of us, that doesn't apply. Detroit is NOT anything like the rest of the State.

Quote:
However, I think I've made it clear that Chicago is my ideal place (it's in the midwest, as I do enjoy Midwestern weather, and it has everything Detroit offered during its prime).
So go to Chicago.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Never said it wasn't part of Michigan. What I said is that it doesn't represent the entire state.
I never said it did. I merely expressed my opinion in response to what another person stated. You just made a false assumption from it.

Quote:
That's fine for you. For a lot of us, that doesn't apply. Detroit is NOT anything like the rest of the State.

Never said it applied for anyone else. You're making more assumptions.

Quote:
So go to Chicago.
The thread asks WOULD you leave Michigan right now, not leave Michigan. I merely provided my response relative to the topic.

If you don't like my opinions, you're free to ignore them. It won't stop me from sharing them.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

If you don't like my opinions, you're free to ignore them. It won't stop me from sharing them.
Right back at ya'

Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
I did. I'm back.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I did. I'm back.
Like riding a bike, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan