Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,761,990 times

Advertisements

No!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,760,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What exactly do you HATE so much about MI?
Don't stir that pot. It's not worth it.

Who cares if someone doesn't like Michigan. Moving on.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
I used to live right near Michigan in the "Michiana" region. I think of the area as a very close knit region that is hard to break into as an outsider even if you exert a good deal of effort. The winter cloudiness is a dealbreaker, though. I need to have sunny days in the winter and the Great Lakes in general are far too grey for my liking. Good scenery and great inland lakes with plenty of orchards. The downside is suprisingly bad air quality, mainly during Summer as western Michigan is downwind from the Chicagoland area.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I used to live right near Michigan in the "Michiana" region. I think of the area as a very close knit region that is hard to break into as an outsider even if you exert a good deal of effort. The winter cloudiness is a dealbreaker, though. I need to have sunny days in the winter and the Great Lakes in general are far too grey for my liking. Good scenery and great inland lakes with plenty of orchards. The downside is suprisingly bad air quality, mainly during Summer as western Michigan is downwind from the Chicagoland area.
You were too far south, you needed to come up further. It is gray during the winter though no matter where you are on this side of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You were too far south, you needed to come up further. It is gray during the winter though no matter where you are on this side of Lake Michigan.
I moving to Madison, WI for a new position next month so I'm sure they get a bit more winter sun compared to cities on the other side of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,160,069 times
Quote:
That's one of the things I miss about Alaska, the bright sunny days, though short, during winter. It's the opposite during summer though, lots of gray drizzly days there. Summer here are much nicer.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Quote:
I moving to Madison, WI for a new position next month so I'm sure they get a bit more winter sun compared to cities on the other side of Lake Michigan.
Yes, it should be more sunny and a little colder in Madison, with less snow than SW Michigan. But your snow will be less likely to melt.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yes, it should be more sunny and a little colder in Madison, with less snow than SW Michigan. But your snow will be less likely to melt.
That is likely true. I'm sure they have more issues with blowing and drifting snow as temperatures there in winter often get colder most of southern Michigan. Lower temperatures= high snow ratios with low moisture content in the snow.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Quote:
I miss Madison. Are you going to be on the west side? There is some great real estate on the west side.
I loved driving on Willy Street (Williamson). I really liked the area around Lowell Elementary.
The bus system used to be very good. I used that once the snow stared falling.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I miss Madison. Are you going to be on the west side? There is some great real estate on the west side.
I loved driving on Willy Street (Williamson). I really liked the area around Lowell Elementary.
The bus system used to be very good. I used that once the snow stared falling.
I'll be working on the far east side of Madison, so I'll end up living closer to Sun Prairie. I love the Downtown and university area and the fact they have a Trader Joe's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan