U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 35,504,489 times
Reputation: 16932

Advertisements

There is a couple that are in the process of swimming from Two Rivers, WI to just North of Ludington across Lake Michigan. They left this morning and are 13 miles into the swim at this point. Here is a website that shows their progress. (Through the Blue route.) They are making the swim to raise awareness of Postpartum Depression and have been training for some time to make this attempt. If they make it they will be the first couple to make the ~50 mile swim across together.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,048,282 times
Reputation: 3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
There is a couple that are in the process of swimming from Two Rivers, WI to just North of Ludington across Lake Michigan. They left this morning and are 13 miles into the swim at this point. Here is a website that shows their progress. (Through the Blue route.) They are making the swim to raise awareness of Postpartum Depression and have been training for some time to make this attempt. If they make it they will be the first couple to make the ~50 mile swim across together.
So awesome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:41 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 35,504,489 times
Reputation: 16932
Just about 24 hours into their swim and still going.

I would have been fish food a LONG time ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
28,446 posts, read 67,615,103 times
Reputation: 34361
THis is really amazing. Why are they not getting more media attention?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 35,504,489 times
Reputation: 16932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
THis is really amazing. Why are they not getting more media attention?
I really don't know why there isn't more coverage of this attempt. There have only been a handful of people that have actually made the swim all the way and never a couple, I would think there would be more coverage but there isn't. It is meager even at the local level. Maybe if they were swimming to raise awareness of some issue that is a bit more media flashy

It really is quite a story so far. Plan the swim and train for months and months. Getting support for their efforts and the planning involved. Line up support boats and Captains for safety across the Lake on the LONG swim... only to have them all pull out a week before the planned date for the swim to take place. The scramble to find replacements, and the generosity of another couple which stepped up and offer their boat as support just as it looks like the swim has to be postponed.

I don't know this remarkable couple myself, but find their drive and determination to be unbelievable. Their website is here: "Through the Blue". Which is a blog that gives so much more detail into to the back story of why they feel driven to do this and the entire story of their training and trials so far.

Last edited by Bydand; 08-15-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
28,446 posts, read 67,615,103 times
Reputation: 34361
Do they stop to eat?

They do not seem to be making as much progress today as they did last night. Not surprising, Probably getting tired.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 35,504,489 times
Reputation: 16932
I have also wondered how they eat. They have slowed way down and are behind where they thought they would be at this time, but still plugging away it would seem according to their facebook updates. I wish them the best headed into night 2 on the Lake. I just can't imagine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,885 posts, read 18,048,282 times
Reputation: 3882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I really don't know why there isn't more coverage of this attempt. There have only been a handful of people that have actually made the swim all the way and never a couple, I would think there would be more coverage but there isn't. It is meager even at the local level. Maybe if they were swimming to raise awareness of some issue that is a bit more media flashy

It really is quite a story so far. Plan the swim and train for months and months. Getting support for their efforts and the planning involved. Line up support boats and Captains for safety across the Lake on the LONG swim... only to have them all pull out a week before the planned date for the swim to take place. The scramble to find replacements, and the generosity of another couple which stepped up and offer their boat as support just as it looks like the swim has to be postponed.

I don't know this remarkable couple myself, but find their drive and determination to be unbelievable. Their website is here: "Through the Blue". Which is a blog that gives so much more detail into to the back story of why they feel driven to do this and the entire story of their training and trials so far.
Seriously? They've been on every local TV station that I know of, every local radio program, newspaper, online media.

I've met the Tows, they're an awesome couple.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 35,504,489 times
Reputation: 16932
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Seriously? They've been on every local TV station that I know of, every local radio program, newspaper, online media.

I've met the Tows, they're an awesome couple.
Really? I haven't seen that much on it. I need to start watching GR stations more instead of Traverse City ones it would seem. I am glad they are getting coverage.

From what I hear from others they are a super couple. I am glad they are making the effort and really hope they are able to finish. I cannot imagine being in the water for this long swimming, mentally they must be just as strong (or stronger) as they are physically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM
 
1,041 posts, read 1,431,593 times
Reputation: 1288
I wouldn't know a thing about this if not for this board. I can't imagine swimming over such a distance. I wish this couple all the best!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top